Cousin's Properties to have presence in M TN

smeagolsfree

With Cousins Properties coming into the Murfreesboro area with the Avenues, do they have more plans for the Nashville Metro area. This is just speculation but do you think they will flex their commercial development muscle here like they have in Atlanta. Novare has project going on here as well as Crosland out of Charlotte. Seems as if the BIGBOYS", as William would say, have arrived.

What do you guys think?

Here is an article from the Tennesseean today about the Avewnues project in the Boro.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl.../511300408/1003

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like that Rutherford County may finally get some upscale shopping that is along the lines of Cool Springs/Green Hills. I have been to the one in Collierville, and it is essentially a big parking lot in the middle, with the mall shops around that, and then there is more parking around the mall stores themselves. If I had pics I'd try to show them, but I didn't bring along a camera.

The Avenue Carriage Crossing, in Collierville, is a nice development but I wouldn't expect the same type of stores in M'boro. Dillard's has been rumored to build a new store at Stones River along with JCPenney so there is one anchor there that you might not see at the Avenue. Parisian might be a stretch for M'boro but a Macy's wouldn't be. You might also see a Belk enter the market but they tend to build small one-level stores in that type of development (they redesigned the plans for the new Proffitt's in Knoxville b/c they thought no one would see an escalator and shop the second floor since the rest of the outdoor mall was only 1 level - sounds dumb but its true).

I hope that M'boro gets a great mix of shops though. A really nice mall is such a draw and amenity to attract new residential growth.

Current plans for the avenue in Murfreesboro include a 132,000 sf two story belk. Barnes and Noble, Dicks, and Best Buy have jumped on board. Linens and Things is looking at it, and they are pitching it to the smaller mall/lifestyle type players right now. They also have plans for a hotel as part of the development.

• 3 weeks later...

With Cousins Properties coming into the Murfreesboro area with the Avenues, do they have more plans for the Nashville Metro area. This is just speculation but do you think they will flex their commercial development muscle here like they have in Atlanta. Novare has project going on here as well as Crosland out of Charlotte. Seems as if the BIGBOYS", as William would say, have arrived.

What do you guys think?

Here is an article from the Tennesseean today about the Avewnues project in the Boro.

What do you guys think?

Glad to hear it will be a larger Belk...but do any of you have any idea as to why Dillard's is staying away? I would agree with Memphian that Hecht's/Macy's would be a good fit for the market, especially with the downfall of Hickory Hollow nearby. I do think that Parisian would be a good fit also, since only a handful of the Parisians are of the level of the Cool Springs and Carriage Crossing. One of their more more average stores would fit in great. However, the current selling off off the Saks department stores leaves that in the air. I just suspect something more than Belk must looking at it, or Dillard's would be online. The location is perfect for a mall. With incredible sight views from the I-24, and with explosive growth of Rutherford county, lots could be possible. Any more ideas???

Do all the Avenues have a sandwich design? Sorry, but it's the best analogy I can think of...big parking lot, shops, big parking lot, and more shops (Phase 2 of Carriage Crossing) is the design for Carriage Crossing. Perhaps you will see a department store and then a Dicks as the anchors. I personally would much rather a Dicks like the one at the Mall of Georgia as an anchor at Carriage Crossing rather than a Dillard's.

The Aveune is what you call a lifestyle center. It was first developed at Saddle Creek in Memphis by Poag and McEwen. It's the latest trend in shopping center development. It is basically a mall that has been unzipped. The reason this developments are so popular right now is the way America has gone to more convenience oriented shopping. The average shopping time for a lifestyle center vs a mall is greatly reduced. People can get in and get out much quickier. You will notice that most all the Lifestyle centers have the sandwich design like you are talking about, just like most malls.

I remember reading that these devlopments are based on Hamburg Pavillion and others. Hamburg is in Lexington, Ky and for the record is one of the worse places for traffic I have ever seen. Great selection of stores, but it is almost not worth going out there due to the traffic you have to deal with. I hope, in vein i'm afraid, that it will not be like this here in Murfreesboro. But, all indications point to it being this way. Too bad the city couldn't focus on downtown re-development instead of sprawlish crap. That is the mentality of Rutherford County though, who am I to change it.

Just think about it. Wouldn't all these offices that are being built in the gateway be nice downtown???? Instead of the same cookie cutter designs, spice it up a bit and challenge designers with the building designs.

Carriage Crossing is nice but a total pain to get to. I like the stores and all but I will agree with the pretty much bad layout and frankly, I find it much more inconvenient than a traditional mall. Forget bad weather - there is no roof over your head or anything. I have already heard people comment on how they drive from store to store there too. I don't think this trend will last too long - at least I hope that it won't.

As far as lifestyle centers in Memphis, I still like Saddle Creek over Carriage Crossing...I guess it's love for the hometown upscale center. I dunno...I just don't think you can beat Saddle Creek. The design, tenants, and shoppers are just great. You have some of the most exclusive stores in Memphis there as well as the new Coach boutique that looks fitting for 5th Avenue...good stuff. Plus, Yia Yia's is a good place for me to take dates ;)

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've heard, the Stones River mall has secured Dillards and Pennys for their redevelopment of the mall. That is why Dillards is staying away from this Ave project.

Look for an annoucement from Cousins on the east side of the interstate in Cool Springs in the next coming months.

Is this the rumored Nordstrom anchored development? Also, anyone have any ideas on the Hendersonville lifestyle center department store? I would have thought maybe Parisian but since they now basically have a for sale sign out front so I wouldn't think it to be them. The only other real option would be Belk and they are nearby in Gallatin.

Archived