Does Williamson County TN need an airport?

smeagolsfree

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't a rapid transit line from Franklin to BNA be cheaper than a new airport?

DING DING DING!!!! That is my thoughts on the matter. What about Smyrna Airport after the extention of Sam Ridley Parkway is done, would Franklin really need an Executive Airport after that?

There's plenty of land for a 5000-7000 ft runway in the county. Corporate business types, many of whom live and work in Williamson County I'm sure would prefer to not have to drive 45 minutes and deal with all the hassels of a big airport if they could do it in 20min at a local airport with fewer hassels. Businesses when looking to locate tend to prefer immediate air-access to regional air-access too, now whether that would hold as true in a satellite county like Willamson which is tied to Nashville is arguable, but its still something to consider IMO.

No. Plus, there is not much suitable land to build a landing strip. Also, why would you? Land = gold in that county. Why waste it on an airfield? If we need an alternate to BNA or JWN, we should consider turning MQY

(Smyrna) into a suburban airport. It already handles some cargo, why not add some charter passenger service and private hangars? Sounds better than building a new airport.

Anyways, MQY has has 8,500 ft runways, so no need to waste money on laying down more concrete...

I just want to be fair minded about this. Smyrna, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, and I think Dickson all have airports, Small ones but they are there, with the exception of Smyrna's which is huge. Why not Williamson then. From a money stand point it would be a great investment. I would put money into a venture like this. There is too much money to be made from an airport because of the money already in the County. I first said no to the idea until I thought about it and it made a lot of sense. So in a way I am playing the devils advocate here.

As far as land to put it on, there are huge tracts available off 880 going towards Murfreesboro. Remeber the majority of growth in the county has taken place right around Franklin.

Archived