Veterans Park Improvements

GRDadof3

"The unanimous vote came despite protests from advocates for veterans, who argued the park should only honor those who died in combat. Walter McVeigh, a World War II veteran, argued the red marble monument created by the Military Order of the Purple Heart could have been placed at the Michigan Veteran's Home or Millennium Park instead."

Here we go. (Combat death stone coming right up!)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was to honor all vets who received purple hearts, now its a monument to honor the continue Global War on Terror? Why can't there be a park with just one statement to honor all vets dead or alive? Why can't there be a park that stands for one thing, with one sculptural feature and let it be? Now to be politically correct everyone has to have one.

What I don't understand is, why doesn't the city come up with some kind of master plan before letting these monuments in. The "Global War on Terror" monument? It makes it sound like frickin' political propoganda. Why not a monument to the Iraq War, War in Afghanistan?

I think the park needs consistency. I could care less if the Purple Heart Memorial or the "Global War on Terror" monument goes in the park, but there should be some planning and CONSISTENCY OF DESIGN involved instead of this hodge-podge placement of monuments.

Joe

What I don't understand is, why doesn't the city come up with some kind of master plan before letting these monuments in. The "Global War on Terror" monument? It makes it sound like frickin' political propoganda. Why not a monument to the Iraq War, War in Afghanistan?

I think the park needs consistency. I could care less if the Purple Heart Memorial or the "Global War on Terror" monument goes in the park, but there should be some planning and CONSISTENCY OF DESIGN involved instead of this hodge-podge placement of monuments.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived