Pyramid News

TennBear

Don't know if you'll take this as good news or bad news.

A Bass Pro Shops spokesperson has confirmed that some of their executives will be in Memphis Friday to look at The Pyramid. Friday's trip is to tour the pyramid and see if the arena can be converted into one of their mega stores. Members of the pyramid re-use committee have previously said that Bass Pro would like to make the pyramid one of its biggest stores in the country. A store where the customers could even test drive boats on the river.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope for a multidimensional development plan, kind of like what the consultants recommended, combining retail with an entertainment or cultural draw. If it's just a BPS, or solely retail in another directioni, I don't think that's necessarily in the best interest of this iconic facility. If it's merely one of several anchors, even if it's the primary retail anchor, that would be fine if there were other aspects to it to help the facility reach its potential.

JMO.

I just hope for a multidimensional development plan, kind of like what the consultants recommended, combining retail with an entertainment or cultural draw. If it's just a BPS, or solely retail in another directioni, I don't think that's necessarily in the best interest of this iconic facility. If it's merely one of several anchors, even if it's the primary retail anchor, that would be fine if there were other aspects to it to help the facility reach its potential.

JMO.

That sums up the way I feel about the Pyramid. I would hope that the BPS would be one of many tenants in the Pyramid, not just the only one. That is an awfully large building for just one store you know. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would love to see something like what Clobber said above go into it. if nothing more than to complement the BPS mega-store.

I have mixed feeling about this one. I agree that the Pyramid is a landmark for Memphis so that whatever goes there should be truly great. I know that Bass Pro Shops largest store, the one in Springfied, MO is a tourist destination which draws millions of people. If they outdo that store and additional attractions are added, then this may well be a very good thing for Memphis. Let's see what comes out of this (if any) and pass judgement when the details plans are announced.

I have mixed feeling about this one. I agree that the Pyramid is a landmark for Memphis so that whatever goes there should be truly great. I know that Bas Pro Shops largest store, the one in Springfied, MO is a tourist destinations which draws millions of people. If they outdo that store and additional attractions are added, then this may well be a very good thing for Memphis. Let's see what comes out of this (if any) and pass judgement when the details plans are announced.

The spokesman for BPS said that the Pyramid outlet will definitely be the biggest store and it will have docks to test drive boats and indoor waterfalls! While I've never been to a BPS, there were many people on the news that said they have spent a whole day at the smaller store out in east Memphis so I guess it'll be good for tourism. I do hope that the building gets more big tenants, maybe an IKEA or something. I also hope that one of the tenants finish the inclinator to the top, that'll bring in even more tourism dollars!

If BPS takes the whole building they will utilize all of it I'm sure, and that will probably mean some really amazing things will be put inside it, which in turns means folks will want to come see it, thus consequently come to downtown Memphis. "Win-Win" situation if you ask me, since those folks will probably spend money in both BPS and/or at other locations in the city Memphis.

The Commercial Appeal had a story in the business section about it today. Talks about transferring the debt for the building, $22.8 M. I think that has been an issue. The city/county needs to get out from under it. Gives the thought that it could attract ~3.0 Million tourists to it. The one in Springfield draws ~4.0 Million.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4279137,00.html

If BPS takes the whole building they will utilize all of it I'm sure, and that will probably mean some really amazing things will be put inside it, which in turns means folks will want to come see it, thus consequently come to downtown Memphis. "Win-Win" situation if you ask me, since those folks will probably spend money in both BPS and/or at other locations in the city Memphis.

I think some folks are worried about the age-old southern "Bubba" stigma. It's sort of like putting a NASCAR museum in Charlotte. No one cares anymore about that stigma, mostly a few southerners. That sort of stuff is mainstream, national culture now.

If the one in Springfield MO draws 4 million, I don't see why Memphis couldn't draw more than the 3 million they estimate.

I've got to agree with Ricky. I can picture it now: Memphis' landmark, THE pyramid, and at the top of the needle? A BIG BASS FISH!!!! Just imagine that! I think that a BPS would be just about the worst use of that building.

With that said, here in Nashville the Outdoor Worlld in Opry Mills is a huge success. I don't have any statistics to prove that, but I've been there on weekday afternoons after Christmas and the place is always busy. A BPS Outdoor world on the Mississippi would probably be a great success in Memphis, but I think they could better design a building that would fit their need.

I've got to agree with Ricky. I can picture it now: Memphis' landmark, THE pyramid, and at the top of the needle? A BIG BASS FISH!!!! Just imagine that! I think that a BPS would be just about the worst use of that building.

With that said, here in Nashville the Outdoor Worlld in Opry Mills is a huge success. I don't have any statistics to prove that, but I've been there on weekday afternoons after Christmas and the place is always busy. A BPS Outdoor world on the Mississippi would probably be a great success in Memphis, but I think they could better design a building that would fit their need.

Well, no one is proposing a big bass on top. Other than that, what would be your objection?

Look at it this way--if there were no existing Pyramid, and BPS proposed building a Pyramid downtown for one of its stores, would you object?

I think most would say that would be a great idea.

I think some folks are worried about the age-old southern "Bubba" stigma. It's sort of like putting a NASCAR museum in Charlotte. No one cares anymore about that stigma, mostly a few southerners. That sort of stuff is mainstream, national culture now.

If the one in Springfield MO draws 4 million, I don't see why Memphis couldn't draw more than the 3 million they estimate.

I agree that some people are worried about the image of the whole thing, which is silly. We are a southern town, so why not be affiliated with things that are southern. Local politicians are always talking about making Memphis a "world class" city. IMO, Memphis is already a world class city. 1) Many colleges and universities 2) symphony 3) pro sports 4) major tourists attractions, etc. Memphis needs to just be Memphis and stop worrying about what outsiders are going to think.

Larry Flynt wants to put his new restaurant on Beale and people are already protesting. There are only going to be a few (Las Vegas, Memphis, Miami, Nashville, & New York) and this could mean even more tourism dollars. Everyone needs to look at the big picture.

Larry Flynt wants to put his new restaurant on Beale and people are already protesting. There are only going to be a few (Las Vegas, Memphis, Miami, Nashville, & New York) and this could mean even more tourism dollars. Everyone needs to look at the big picture.

Flynt's a sleazoid child molestor. I don't exactly think some of these protestors are off base with wanting to keep his "bidness" out of the city.

Lets not jump the gun and start talking about how this one potential mega-retailer is going to "bubba-tize" Memphis somehow by taking this landmark facility, and its debt, off the city's and taxpayers' hands, before we know what their potential plans may be. This could, and probably will be if it goes through, a very good thing for Memphis IMO.

Sleepy makes a good point, that I doubt anybody would object to BPS building their own Pyramid if the current one did not exist.

Flynt's a sleazoid child molestor. I don't exactly think some of these protestors are off base with wanting to keep his "bidness" out of the city.

I don't really have any like for Larry Flynt, but I'm unaware that he's ever been convicted of child molestation.

I must say though that I didn't mind when he put the 9 members of the US Supreme Court on the Hustler mailing list. I believe too, he flashed Justice O'Conner in the courtroom and was held in contempt.

At least he won the case of Jerry Falwell v. Larry Flynt which, as a lawyer, I think is a reputable legacy.

I don't really have any like for Larry Flynt, but I'm unaware that he's ever been convicted of child molestation.

I never said he was convicted, I merely said he was one, and that is very well known. Flynt himself thought the issue of child molestation "humorous" enough to feature it as a long-running cartoon character in his magazine.

I'm sure you know there are probably hundreds of thousands of incidents within families that are never prosecuted, let alone brought to light. Incidents like this have touched people (pun unintended) close to my life, and the psychological damage is amongst the worst imaginable.

I think Tennessee can do better than allow the business of a very sick individual darken our state, don't you ?

I don't know. It's one thing to draw visitors. It's another thing to be world class. Those two don't necessarily intersect. The Gateway Arch draws folks from France, China, Japan, Australia, etc. So does the Mall of America. I don't lump Bass Pro Shops in the same category (I hope I'm wrong both in the respect that this BPS would be the sole tenant -- although past reports indicate I'm not -- and in the respect that a BPS Pyramid would be a reflection of past BPS's developed in Springfield and at Mills malls). I would put the NASCAR museum somewhere in the middle. The reputations of the above globally certainly isn't on the same scale, although, again, a NASCAR HOF has a higher rep than the BPS hq (kind of like a comparison between the RR HOF and the largest Hardrock cafe -- they both draw, but there are discernable differences in prestige). I want a development that stuns the world, or at least gives a somewhat prolonged tremor.

I guess it is an issue of what they want or what they would settle for. Will they settle for just having a lot of foot traffic? And if the BPS Pyramid is to the BPS what Disney World is to a Disney Store, then I might reevaluate my thinking. I still am taking a wait and see attitude here, but, as of this point, this development doesn't inspire my imagination (mainly because of the past reports that BPS is not interested in sharing the Pyramid).

I agree that some people are worried about the image of the whole thing, which is silly. We are a southern town, so why not be affiliated with things that are southern. Local politicians are always talking about making Memphis a "world class" city. IMO, Memphis is already a world class city. 1) Many colleges and universities 2) symphony 3) pro sports 4) major tourists attractions, etc. Memphis needs to just be Memphis and stop worrying about what outsiders are going to think.

I agree and disagree. I don't think we have enough institutions of higher education, particularly on the research side, and particularly of world-reknown, at least when compared with many of our peers and competition. Where's our Duke? Where's our Vandy? The state will never give U of M the kind of support that it gives UT (not that we don't deserve it, but because of the absurd orange bias that infects financing and support decisions), and public universities are always held hostage by the government (whereas private research universities aren't subject to the whims of the public/government). We need both. A top-tier public research university (which we seem to be headed toward) as well as a top-tier private research university. Rhodes is awesome. It has a world-class reputation, one of the best liberal arts colleges in the country. But the impact on the community, while great, doesn't compare to a Wash U or Duke in that it doesn't provide graduate programs that keep and attract non-natives to the community beyond the 4 years of undergrad.

We have world-class entertainment even beyond the symphonies (we have 2 counting IRIS) with the acclaim that Ballet and Opera Memphis consistently earn, as well as all the plays, live music, festivals, sports, and fine (Brooks, Dixon, galleries of South Main, Belz, etc) and cultural (Wonders, Memphis in May)art that Memphis regularly hosts. The club and bar scene in Memphis, as great and recognized as it is, is getting better and better, and I think even with the recognition it receives it's still slightly underrated. Our impact on American and global culture is matched by very few cities, particularly our size and our age. A lot of it has to do with being Southern, and being in the Delta -- Elvis, BB King, Faulkner, etc. That's part of who we are, and part of the reason why people can tell when they get off a plane or out of a car in Memphis that they're somewhere *different*. You feel the air of the history, you sense that you're a part of it. You don't need garishly southern things to remind of you of that. It's all around you. It's in the magnolias and weeping willows. It's in the big river. Although, I think we could do more to turn our military history into something cohesive for visitors to appreciate.

Memphis needs to seek to become the best. Not settle, and not dwell in mediocrity. I agree that too often Memphians have a self-deprecating attitude. It's like they don't appreciate what's in their backyard. There's a lot going on in Memphis, more than many cities its size. But that doesn't mean we should be complacent.

Memphis has world-class potential. The potential in this town is so amazing, I wish every citizen in town could just appreciate what's possible. And realizing it doesn't mean we have to surrender our character, our history, our identity. Nor does it mean that we shouln't make (and continue to make) a splash on the global scene from the corporate, cultural, and political realm. What is "being Memphis"? Is it the pioneering spirit? The global impact? Or is it the self-doubt and self-loathing (which is dissipating gradually)? All of the above can be attributed to Memphis' identity, and I don't think all of the above is consistent with the fulfillment of Memphis' potential as a city or as a home. Is ambition inconsistent with being "Memphis"? I don't think so . . . JMO

Well said. I agree that the sefl-doubt that cast a shadow over the city for so many years is vanishing at a rapid place. There is so much going on in Memphis and everyone that I know is proud to be a Memphian!

What I meant by Memphis not worrying about what outsiders think can be looked at from a view point of authenticity. Take New Orleans & Vegas for example. People always rant about how much "sin" goes on in the two cities. Call it what you like, but thats what makes New Orleans and Vegas so unique, they don't seem to care what others think, they are true to their identity. Memphis has done a good job, but could do a WHOLE lot better. Just look at Graceland, its the second most visited house in the nation slightly behind the White House in attendance yet no major development has taken place in the Whitehaven area. One would think the area would be one of the most developed tourism areas in the country but sadly its not. :(

People are always going to stereotype places because thats what people do. I had family from Chicago come down for the first time a while ago. They asked me how come everyone didn't have jerri curls and gold teeth? <_< So if people associate BPS with "bubba," let em think what they wanna think as long as when they come to Memphis they leave tourism dollars behind.

are you by any chance a parent... that sounds like something my dad would say haha :P

Yeah, I have two little boys. I'm only 24 but now I feel old. Thanx a lot! :rofl: I hope I'm not turning into my dad because that does sound a little "parenty!" BTW, if everyone else bought $100 sneakers and jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? (thats my favorite one!) :rofl:

Archived