Marketing Rhode Island's History

Cotuit

I know my way around well enough that I don't even notice the signs...however back when I didn't I had no trouble understanding that I had to take Rt. 4 to get to Newport on the West Bay and I could have sworn the signage was there. Maybe it disappeared when they put up all the fancy electronic signage?

(speaking of which, why do we keep dreaming up new ways to a) waste energy, and b) distract people from the road?)

there's still a sign there, but it's one of those little pell bridge signs with a picture of the brige and words that you can barely read until you're right on top of it.

as for the electronic signage, i don't really consider it to be either a distraction or a waste of energy. i find them helpful and think we could use more of them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know my way around well enough that I don't even notice the signs...however back when I didn't I had no trouble understanding that I had to take Rt. 4 to get to Newport on the West Bay

I think on the east coast, travelling on 95, its a safe assumption that Route 1 will bring you to the coast, regardless of what state you are in. Is there a "To: 1" on the Route 4 signage?

I think on the east coast, travelling on 95, its a safe assumption that Route 1 will bring you to the coast, regardless of what state you are in. Is there a "To: 1" on the Route 4 signage?

that's a good question, but for some reason, i don't think so. i think it's one of those assumptions that all RI'ers know that 4 turns into 1 (it's a dumb assumption since not everyone is a RI'er).

that's a good question, but for some reason, i don't think so. i think it's one of those assumptions that all RI'ers know that 4 turns into 1 (it's a dumb assumption since not everyone is a RI'er).

I was considering this issue today, and if you think about it, most people taking rt. 4 to Newport probably are Rhode Islanders. People from points south are better off taking routes 1 or 138 to Newport, and most out-of-state traffic from the north probably comes down 24 (which does have clear signage for Newport) from the Boston area or 495. Maybe the assumption is indeed that most drivers using 4 have a good idea where they're going.

Me too. And I won't say that all of them do, but I know that at least some of them employ solar panels. :whistling:

oh, i hate the ones that are trailers sitting on the sides of the highway. those need to be replaced with nice big ones that sit over the highway (there's 3 that i know of... 146 south, 95 south, and 4)

Archived