Signature Rendering

it's just dave

This is the rendering done by Nashville artist Phil Ponder. Mr. Ponder is locally and regionally famous for his extraordinary paintings of local architecture and landmarks. I'm working on my colllection and and highly hopeful this will become available soon to add to mine. This art was provided and printed in the Nashville City Paper. I'm hoping I'm not violating any decorum here by posting this low-res scan of the skyline. It's just a really cool picture. And we do it with so many others...it won't print well anyway, but for those who don't get the CityPaper, please enjoy this. Mr. Ponder, you've outdone yourself and have gained new fans.

Ponder1001133455447.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking for that. Thank you Dave for posting this.

Now, I like this render myself. It really shows how it will fit into the fabric of Downtown. BTW, I say it is somewhere between 750 and 800 feet tall.

That is an awesome rendering. As you may know, I've always maintained that I think the Signature Tower is going to be about 850 feet tall to the top of the spire. This rendering is drawn to that scale. Measuring in millimeters on my computer screen (not scientific, I know) the Signature Tower is 142 mm to the top of the building structure and 176 mm to the top of the spire. The nearby (Third National) Financial Center is well known to be 490 Ft tall. It measures 101 mm to its top on my computer screen. If I ratio the corresponding heights of the Signature to the Financial Center I get 690 Ft to the top of the building and 852 Ft to the top of the spire. Nothing's changed... still about 850 Ft!!! :yahoo:

That is an awesome rendering. As you may know, I've always maintained that I think the Signature Tower is going to be about 850 feet tall to the top of the spire.

It's too bad we couldn't get Mr. G. to add some more floors to the main body and lengthen its "crown" and get it past 1,000. BOA in Atlanta also has 55 stories (although, it's not residential), but is 1,023 feet tall. Just add 174 more feet to that 850 (if that is its actual height), and we'll take the title for tallest in the southeast (that is, unless Miami puts up those monsters Skyscraper.com has listed as possibilities for 2010).

That is an awesome rendering. As you may know, I've always maintained that I think the Signature Tower is going to be about 850 feet tall to the top of the spire. This rendering is drawn to that scale. Measuring in millimeters on my computer screen (not scientific, I know) the Signature Tower is 142 mm to the top of the building structure and 176 mm to the top of the spire. The nearby (Third National) Financial Center is well known to be 490 Ft tall. It measures 101 mm to its top on my computer screen. If I ratio the corresponding heights of the Signature to the Financial Center I get 690 Ft to the top of the building and 852 Ft to the top of the spire. Nothing's changed... still about 850 Ft!!! :yahoo:

Once again Hankster, you are right on the money. Keep preaching brother! I can't wait until an official height is anounced. BTW, commissioning Phil Ponder to paint Signature is brilliant! I'm assuming that idea came from Tony. Nice!

Church Street, at least from 4th Avenue to 6th Avenue, will be somewhat Manhattanish with these towers lining the narrow, two lane street in a mere two block stretch;

Signature Tower, 55 floors, 850' (?)

Financial Plaza, 31 floors, 490'

L&C Tower, 31 floors, 409'

Viridian, 32 floors, 380' +/-

The old Third National Bank, 21 floors, 290'

Cumberland Apartments, 23 floors, 230' +/-

and the two pre-war mid rises on the east side of 4th, the 12 floor First Bank and the 12 floor Marriott.

It will be quite canyonesque in that area.

I used to get a bit wowed by other cities wide core streets, but now, it's the other way around. I wouldn't trade these narrow downtown streets for anything.

I've watched this project for a long time. Public Works did a great job. And the fact that the street was mostly open during the entire project is nothing short of amazing.

I think the light poles are designed for banners as well. That could be sweet.

Well everyone I guess that we can stop speculating on any major changes to the design. I wrote Tony G. yesterday to ask him and this is what he told me (the part about the whole Metro Police thing is only because I told him that I hope to get out of the Navy next year and start working with Metro Police and that I will be excited to be in Nashville watching the tower rise) :

Bruce,

Thanks for your note. Things are looking positive...we are proceeding

cautiously.

There will be no radical changes in the design. We have narrowed the

tower

from 141 x 141 square to 126 x 126 square to create a more slender

shaft and

to more efficiently accommodate our structural system. Otherwise, the

tower

is unchanged and there has been no reduction in the spire.

Perhaps there will be an opportunity for you to live in Signature when

you

return to work for the Metro Police...I hope so.

Thanks,

Tony

I used to get a bit wowed by other cities wide core streets, but now, it's the other way around. I wouldn't trade these narrow downtown streets for anything.

I've watched this project for a long time. Public Works did a great job. And the fact that the street was mostly open during the entire project is nothing short of amazing.

I think the light poles are designed for banners as well. That could be sweet.

Well put Dave. I too have wondered about the light poles downtown on Church. After reading this, it would appear they are, infact, made for banners.

There will be no radical changes in the design. We have narrowed the

tower

from 141 x 141 square to 126 x 126 square to create a more slender

shaft and

to more efficiently accommodate our structural system.

The reduction in width plus the elimination of the above ground parking garage explains the reduction in units from 750 down to 500. I'm glad Tony thinks things are progressing well. I will be devastated if this thing doesn't get built.

Archived