Should College Football Have a Playoff?

NCB

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it shouldn't because that would take away from tradition, and it is what seperates it from the NFL.

^^ Exactly. I dont want playoffs either. Granted, I am not a fan of the BCS because it is simply a way for "the man" to hoard huge piles of cash. In the andy112129 college football system, the BCS average would only apply when there is a disagreement between the teams ranked #1 and #2, it would be a tie-breaker. The only thing good about the BCS is that it forces #1 and #2 to play for the title.

I am in favor of a playoff system. I say this becasue every other sport in the NCAAs has some sort of playoff including three levels of football. What I would most like to see would be a 16 team playoff. The reason that I say 16 teams is that way every Div 1A conference could have their champion in the playoffs. The main problem going that far down is the logistics of having the sports fans arrange travel to the sites and making certain that the bowls are still included. My solution is to have the teams seeded 1-16 and have the first round at the higher seeded teams home field. This would guarantee full stadiums and give incentive to the home team. I would propose using the existing bowls to bid on the remaining 7 games. All 7 bowls would be able to claim a matchup between two of the top teams in the country. You would be guaranteed to have the two teams that did the best against the best competition at the end of the season play for the championship. With 16 teams, the strongest conferences which may have because of the competition had losses be able to show that they deserve to be National Champs. As it is now, the best team may have lost a game along the way and may not be able to get in. Even teams that try to schedule strong teams in conference and out of conference may on certain years have traditional powerhouses be also rans.

I am in favor of a playoff system. I say this becasue every other sport in the NCAAs has some sort of playoff including three levels of football. What I would most like to see would be a 16 team playoff. The reason that I say 16 teams is that way every Div 1A conference could have their champion in the playoffs. The main problem going that far down is the logistics of having the sports fans arrange travel to the sites and making certain that the bowls are still included. My solution is to have the teams seeded 1-16 and have the first round at the higher seeded teams home field. This would guarantee full stadiums and give incentive to the home team. I would propose using the existing bowls to bid on the remaining 7 games. All 7 bowls would be able to claim a matchup between two of the top teams in the country. You would be guaranteed to have the two teams that did the best against the best competition at the end of the season play for the championship. With 16 teams, the strongest conferences which may have because of the competition had losses be able to show that they deserve to be National Champs. As it is now, the best team may have lost a game along the way and may not be able to get in. Even teams that try to schedule strong teams in conference and out of conference may on certain years have traditional powerhouses be also rans.

Hmm that is a good idea, but I have a couple of questions. If the 7 bowls got playoff teams, then wouldn't this extend the college football season into February? But if you have the playoffs in December it doesn't work either because of final exams and whatnot. The other thing I like about the way that it is now is the importance of every game, because, assuming USC and Texas win on Saturday, you lose once and national championship possibilities are over. I think you almost have to take it one year at a time, because this year the BCS system might work out perfectly. But last year, a "plus-one" plan would have been better because one undefeated team got left out. But the year before that, the human polls were better when Oklahoma fell apart at the end of the season and very good USC team got left out, despite being #1 in both human polls. Of course, if SC or Texas lose on Saturday then we are back to the usual cluster****... :wacko:

I'm against a playoff system because I don't think the current system is broken.

I like the fact that the college football season is basically one single elimination playoff. If you lose you have absolutely nothing to complain about.

You'll have cases where 3 or more teams might be undefeated but that's rare.

That's still not fair because depending on your conference and opponents, some top teams play much easier schedules, making it easier for them to run the table.

As good as Texas or USC is this year, I don't think either one would have gone undefeated in the Big 10, ACC or SEC this year.

They should just rely on the human polls, only use the BCS poll as a tie-breaker, and get rid of the automatic-berth for conference champions, because 4-loss Florida State has no business playing in a BCS game. But now you have Oregon, who's only loss was to 'SC (granted, they got clobbered, but still) has to play on the 29th in some other bowl. The current BCS sucks because it is all about money, and nothing else.

I think they should have a playoff system. I went to a Division I-AA school, and that system has a clearly defined national champion when the playoffs are done. Also, the schools seem to make the necessary arrangements for exams. The BCS could be converted to a bowl system, making all of the bowl games playoff games, then have a national championship game...changing the location each year. Southern Cal is going to have a "homefield advantage" with game being played at the Rose Bowl.

The BCS is a joke and doesn't address most of the possible scenarios. Last year there were three undefeated teams - sorry, somebody is going to get cut out. What if there are no undefeated teams in a season? It will really be a mess! To say the BCS is a system for determining a national champion is just wrong - champions are made on the field, not in opinion polls or computer rankings.

The old bowl system at least didn't have any pretensions of deciding a national title and carried a lot of tradition. If the NCAA wants a true championship, it will need a playoff system like what exists in the lower divisions. However to fit within the school year it will likely require major alterations to the conference system and traditional schedules. It will also require blowing up the current bowl system. There are a lot of vested interests there, so I don't see that happening.

If it were up to me, I would revert to the old bowl system. If the AP or ESPN poll wants to name a champion, fine. But for the NCAA (through the BCS) to tell 13-0 USC that they are the champion while 13-0 Auburn is not, is ridiculous. It's not a championship system, it's a joke.

I guess I'd lean more towards trying to keep most of the bowl system but to also include a small playoffs for the very top teams. The bowl system isn't always great because they can pick who they want. Even if Notre Dame had a worse year than they did this year a bowl could pick them because they attract lots of attention and fans. So better teams can get left out because maybe they wouldn't be able to bring in as many fans even if they were a better team.

Even if Notre Dame had a worse year than they did this year a bowl could pick them because they attract lots of attention and fans. So better teams can get left out because maybe they wouldn't be able to bring in as many fans even if they were a better team.

What they did to a 10-1 Oregan team was just flat out wrong. The current system is nothing more than a joke.

• 3 weeks later...

I think college football should have a playoff system. It would be a true test of what teams are made of. Some of these teams playing in bowl games have no business going. I like the NFL's playoff system, it gets teams in the mindset of thinking there's only a certain number of spots available, and not everyone is guaranteed a playoff berth, even if a team is 15-1.

• 1 month later...

Archived