Asheville, Greenville Comparison

motonenterprises

I got bored today and decided to take a trip to Asheville, since its been years since I been there and I didn't research it much then. The first thing I noticed is the downtown is totally different from Greenville's. I liked the fact that an interstate runs past downtown unlike I-385 stopping downtown which encourages people to stay on I-85 instead. Wasn't really impressed with the skyline, from the pictures I thought the buildings were taller. Greenville definetly has the better skyline. I also didn't really like the streetscape, the streets seemed too narrow and at times I had to stop to let uncoming traffic pass. The buildings seemed to be of more history were Greenville has more of a mixture of modern and history. Greenville has nicer towers, but Asheville has saved a lot of history and turned it into art. Greenville definetly feels a lot bigger to me and more urban. Asheville seems to be a nice getaway city. I also went to Asheville Mall, I love it! Just when you thought you were finished walking in the mall you find a new corridor. I really like what they have done in there. Not sure if it is nicer than Haywood Mall or not, but it is definetly up there. I did feel safer in Asheville Mall with all the camaras in there. Haywood Mall doesn't seem to have any camaras, at least I haven't seen any. Haywood Mall does have more of an open feel to it though. Asheville Mall had narrower corridors, but that doesn't take away from it. I love it. I am not sure which mall is larger. I left at about 5 using I-240 and I-26. Greenville definetly has worse traffic and more congestion on the interstates, but Greenville's interstates are wider and look nicer. All and all I think Asheville is a great city and I will go back.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you went to Asheville to see their mall then you missed out on much of what is great about Asheville. Malls are a bad thing. Next time I recommend that you get out of your car and go for a walk around downtown Asheville. Few cities in the Carolinas have the street life that is found there.

If you went to Asheville to see their mall then you missed out on much of what is great about Asheville. Malls are a bad thing. Next time I recommend that you get out of your car and go for a walk around downtown Asheville. Few cities in the Carolinas have the street life that is found there.

Where did I say I didn't walk around? The street life seemed no more than Greenville's to me, which also has a very active street life. Have you ever been here? Stopped at the mall on they way out, why would I go there just for the mall? Haywood is 1.3 million sq. ft.

What does Asheville have to offer?

*Grove Park Inn & Spa

*Biltmore Estate

*Biltmore Village

*Blue Ridge Parkway

*French Broad River

*Bell Chere

What does Greenville have to offer?

*Reedy River

*Paris Mountain

*Furman University

*River Falls Park

*Cleveland Park

I like both places as they refresh myself on each visit.

To me, there really is no comparison to be made between Asheville and Greenville.

They are two very different cities although roughly the same size.

Both have very unique things to offer.

I tend to frequent Asheville quite a bit since I've lived here, but I haven't been up there for several months. It's a nice place to go if you want to experience something a little different.

I've been going to downtown Greenville more and more of late. I can't get enough of it. :wub:

Greenville and Asheville are roughly the same size? Surely you're joking.

As far as the city proper goes, that statement isn't too far off. As far as urbanized areas go, I would estimate that Greenville's is at least 175K bigger than Asheville's (including Mauldin-Simpsonville).

As far as the city proper goes, that statement isn't too far off. As far as urbanized areas go, I would estimate that Greenville's is at least 175K bigger than Asheville's (including Mauldin-Simpsonville).

City proper is a joke in SC. Greenville does feel a lot bigger than Asheville to me and more urban. Don't take this as a slight to Asheville, I actually loved it and it makes for a nice getaway.

I see parallels between the two mainly because they both have incredible city centers! Asheville took the more earthy, holistic, bohemian path, Greenville the business, manicured path. Walk around both for a day...talk to the people and you'll find similarities. I for one think Asheville is one of the Southeasts great treasures! Interesting the amount of people I've met in downtown Greenville who are spending a couple of days here either on the front end or back end of an Asheville trip. Most all rave about both cities downtowns.....a rarity in the south to have two cities so close and both have great city centers! :D

Archived