My Christmas Wish for the region

urbanvb

Tis the season to wish for things so why not on Urbanplanet!

For the region I wish more cohesiveness and willingness to set aside the past and start afresh working together as a region and less as respective cities. I wish better transportation for the area (3rd crossing and the Southeastern Pkwy) and of course LRT for all cities. I wish for better paying jobs to enter our region as research is being ushered in at all fronts academically (EVMS, ODU, NSU).

For Va Beach: I wish less chain restaurants and more local ones to come online (City View and City Walk areas come to mind :whistling:). I wish the urbanization of the CBD to continue and more jobs to be brought to its upcoming towers. I wish for our fair city to address a lack of an identity besides as a resort area and a military town and to push forward attracting new jobs and fresh talent to the area.

For Norfolk: I wish you the best as Norfolk is booming with new housing and new jobs are coming online soon. I wish for more companies to discover Norfolk and to locate there. I wish the city would not push out the low income housing instead to rebuild and relocate familes as the housing boom continues. I wish for a brand new and very grand central library downtown! And I wish the final plans for the Hilton would come to fruition very soon!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Holiday HR Wish List:

Transportation: LRT starter line (w/ extension to TC or Oceanfront), Granby Line to OV, airport connector. Transportation node by Harbor Park hosting AMTRAK high speed, LRT, bus, and NET.

Norfolk: Hilton announcement! rehabilitation of older neighborhoods. street life outside downtown. the evolution of pocket commercial and activity districts (like Colley Ave only less cliche). A monumental library.

Portsmouth: extension of High Street commercial district west of Effingham Street. revitalization of old neighborhoods.

Va Beach: clustering of development near transit and other nodes

Chesapeake: smart growth

Suffolk: smart growth

Peninsula: further development of smart growth, extension of rail or development of BRT (via 3rd crossing) to Southside

Norfolk

Many more lumps of coal for the Norfolk Southern terminal (in a good way).

A 40 story+ office tower for downtown Norfolk

BRT added to the LRT, with Virginia Beach on board.

A huge additional investment in research and technology for ODU/NSU

A Barnes and Noble for Wards Corner (or downtown), plus more locally owned restaurants

A major cd and dvd store for Norfolk

will post for other cities later

I'm wishing that LRT begins constructin soon. Of course, Norfolk will have to hurry and build a new downtown library with the eventual demise of the Kirn. Maybe thats what part of the downtown plaza will become.

I'm wishing VA Beach all the luck with it's ongoing construction of TC. I hope city leaders come to their senses and request a LRT extention to TC and all the way to the oceanfront.

I'm wishing all the luck to Portsmouth with it's ongoing rebirth of their downtown. I hope those new towers get built soon!

I'm wishing that MacArthur Center announces a new third anchor. I hope that it will be a mixed-use development. The first three floors or more can be the anchor store, with about 15 floors of office space above that and 15 floors of residential above that. Then with that we will have another tower in the skyline!

Most of all, I would like to wish everyone on UP "HAPPY HOLLIDAYS". May this season be an inspiration to you all, and may the new year and beyond be as bright as the morning sun! :alc:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

#1, a swift correction in housing prices, perhaps a reversion to 1999/2000 prices. This needs to happen, and not only so the younger generations can afford to live here in the future but for the overall health of the economy. Our businesses are going to be hurt, I have coworkers moving to Elizabeth City, NC to find affordable property. This isn't Walmart either, this is one of the more high-tech companies in HR.

#2, public access TV. A single channel reaching out to all 7 cities. This does not exist in our area. The quote I have for my high-tech local music show is about $550/hr.

#3, all the regions to work together. This won't ever happen though.

Id like to see the I-64 designation continue along VA 168 towards the NC line but thats just a pipe dream :P

Does the Hampton Roads area do toll free highways on Christmas Day?

We really don't have any tolls right now except the countries largest at the CBBT but i fear this is going to change soon. Coupe you are too funny :rofl:

Archived