Providence Projects v1.0

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Looks like some great projects for Providence!

Yup, lot's of good things going on here. I actually have to redo this list. Some projects have changed, some have sadly come undone, but there are a few new ones to add as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are a couple of very interesting Providence projects happening that are a little bit off the beaten path (apologize if they have been discussed elsewhere):

Rau Fastener in West Elmwood (currently a hotspot for hookers and crack, soon to be really cool new housing and community space; its gonna be pretty awesome):

http://www.fhlbboston.com/communitydevelop...ner/numbers.jsp

Pearl Street Lofts next to Classical High School between Broad and Westminster (Armory Revival Company):

http://high-profile.com/2004/jul.aug/July%...t/July%2024.pdf

Both of these are currently under construction and look awesome. Apprantly, almost all of the Pearl St. lofts are sold (some are rentals), and since the groundbreaking, I've been saying if you can sell these in that location, you can sell anything anywhere!

Cool, didn't know those, I should check them out in person some time. It's been a while since there was anything to add to this. I had something to bring up as well. I was under the assumption that the Hilton Hotel Project was moot at best but I came across this.

http://www.humphreys.com/v3_projects.php?project_type=ob

I have noticed that the copyright on the picture reads 2002 but this is on the top of their "On the boards" section. The website seems to be kept pretty up-to-date even if the date up in the corner is automatic. What parcel was this originally supposed to be in? If anyone can find more on the subject than I already have then let me know. Also, I never figured out how to post pictures on here so sorry I didn't just post the pic.

I have to get around to making a new version of this thread, it's quite out of date. Please feel free to add any projects you come across. I'll work on putting together a new thread in the next few weeks.

That Hilton looks AWESOME! I've never heard of that one before, but I'd love for it to happen. It looks like it's on Route 95 at Weybosset, but I'm not sure. You can see the Superman Building and the Westin in the background. I've heard rumours that the Holiday Inn is becoming a Hilton, so I don't know how that would impact this project. Also the proposal to build a second tower at the Westin, and the Masonic Temple coming online soon, may mean that this has been placed on the back burner.

some more renderings of projects around here:

http://www.durkeebrown.com/reuse/reuse.htm

The Hilton Bldg. looks cool (well, the base looks a little rough, but it is only a sketch.) At 27 stories, that would be the tallest building in town, eh? Wow.

Lets hope it happens. I think it might be on the big lot at the edge of the Jewelry District next to the Coro parking garage building, right next to 95 (thats what the adjacent bldg looks like anyway)? Weird spot, but I guess it makes sense for housing, particularly after the 195 relocation, and the views would be absolutely incredible, essentially looking down on the powerplant, bay, and downcity.

Could this be the additional hotel thats supposed to be built with the sale of the westin?

Also, I never figured out how to post pictures on here so sorry I didn't just post the pic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's alright, you're hardly the first to ask about posting pics.

PostingAnImage.png

You have to make sure that you have the URL of the image itself, not the URL of the page the image is on. The images URL will end in .jpg, .gif, or .png. If it doens't end in one of those, you don't have the images URL.

Could this be the additional hotel thats supposed to be built with the sale of the westin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the second tower attached to the Westin deal will actually be attached to the Westin. It will be on that little park area next to the Westin along Francis Street.

Looking at that Hilton... How odd... Judging from the location of the Westin and downtown buildings in the drawing (assuming the ratio is correct), and judging from the fact that they draw a highway in front of the building, I'm guessing this tower would be near the intersection of Westminster and Route 6/10 or Broadway and 6/10... Way on the West End, and not close to downtown. Tough to peg... I'm looking at a map and can't quite make this relationship work...

Anyway, I haven't heard about this project anywhere... As we've all seen, there are drawing, models, etc of tons of things for every community on architects, planners, etc web pages that never made it out of the imagination stages... I wonder if this is one of them...

- Garris

BTW: Cotuit, you in a post I can't find speculated why you think the Westin addition would be Providence's tallest building... That was pretty cool, and looked pretty accurate to me. Could you repost your logic? Thanks!

BTW: Cotuit, you in a post I can't find speculated why you think the Westin addition would be Providence's tallest building...  That was pretty cool, and looked pretty accurate to me.  Could you repost your logic?  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the parcel where the new tower will be built is smaller than the current Westin tower's parcel. The tower plan calls for 200 rooms, which is close to what the current tower has. In addition to rooms, the plan calls for luxury apartments on the upper floors, one would assume several floors of apartments/condos. The plan also calls for office space within the tower including the possiblity of a new headquarters for The Procaccianti Group's 100 employees, that's a sizable office in and of itself. And finally, the ground floor is to be retail space, I wouldn't be surpised to see much of the second level devoted to a restaurant as well. That's a lot of stuff to jam into a tower which will be more slender than the Westin and could push it up to being a new tallest for Providence. I believe the Westin is currently 3rd after the Superman Building and The Hospital Trust Tower.

Superman Building: 26 floors, 428 feet

Hospital Trust Tower: 28 floors, 410 feet

Westin: 25 foors, 329 feet

I think it is a good bet that it would be taller than the Westin, not unlikely that it could surpass Hospital Trust, and possible that it could beat the Superman Building. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a movement to keep it lower than the Superman Building, and really I have no problem with it maintaining it's position as Rhode Island's tallest.

Archived