The Villege Plaza Proposed Redevelopment

DaGABoyStinger

I just read the Chonicle this morning and it apparently is plans for the 490,000 sq ft. "The Villege Shopping Center" to be redeveloped, calling for the following:

• Bi-Lo Store closing this Saturaday (2nd to close in the area, because of no expansion opportunity and low sales)

• 58,000 sq ft expansion to current Walmart to Supercenter Status into Old Bi-lo store

• Demolition of Current Sam's Club and rebuilt 400 feet north, closer to Walmart

• more landscaping in parking lots, less asphault, less parking allowance

• Due to Bobby Jones/ I-20 new interchange, looking to lose Racetrack and adjacent land on SW corner

There apparently also seems to be some controversy and issues between some of the current stores that are leasing in the center. The Sportsman link and Tractor Company since these stores will be directly affected by the redevelopment. Current relations between this company and the Plaza developers are not of good terms apparently and communication between the parties seem limited. No plans have been set in stone yet as to when any of this will happen. Plans still have to be submitted to Richmond County officials this week or next week and we may know more details in the coming weeks.

"The Villege" shopping center is located on Bobby Jones Expressway in Martinez, 1/2 mile North of I/20, I/520 Interchange. Current tenants also include Office Max, Great Deals Furniature, and Dollar Tree which as of now would not be affected by any of the proposed development.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.

I knew this would happen soon since they are going to start construction on the new Interchange by 08'.

The Racetrack c-store will be razed, but what about all the businesses on the other side of Bobby Jones? They have already torn down the Microtel hotel. What about the 5 floor Comfort Inn and the 3 floor office building (which is relatively new)? Will they be torn down as well?

I had overheard a few years ago that Sam's would move to Augusta West, near the Ice Forum, but I guess that was just a rumour.

Interesting.

I knew this would happen soon since they are going to start construction on the new Interchange by 08'.

The Racetrack c-store will be razed, but what about all the businesses on the other side of Bobby Jones? They have already torn down the Microtel hotel. What about the 5 floor Comfort Inn and the 3 floor office building (which is relatively new)? Will they be torn down as well?

I had overheard a few years ago that Sam's would move to Augusta West, near the Ice Forum, but I guess that was just a rumour.

I was wondering the same thing. I heard that that bulding and the hotel next door didn't need to be torn down but I have yet to figure out why not since they are going to have to tear down that Applebees and it's further away. I also have heard that the some of the buildings in the Springhouse Apartments are going to have to be moved but I think that is on the Davis Road/Walton Way Ext. side which is going to be widened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

There's an article in today's paper about the proposed expansion and renovation. There is still some contention over the Sam's moving down which would force Sportmans Link to leave. What I don't understand is why can't they just move his store down too. There are enough vacancies to accomplish that. In fact the center looks half dead so these improvements are greatly needed. Here's the article.

Archived