Kingsport Photo Thread

My first photo thread. I just got high speed and can post photos rather fast now. Technology is great, I am just catching up with it.

post-4789-1133442735_thumb.jpg The old train depot

post-4789-1133442769_thumb.jpg Downtown Broad Street

post-4789-1133442810_thumb.jpg Main Street (old bank building)

post-4789-1133442840_thumb.jpg Downtown Church Circle

post-4789-1133442893_thumb.jpg Downtown Church Circle

post-4789-1133443625_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133445953_thumb.jpgMy old H.S. Dobyns Bennett. Considering the school was built in the 60's, the architecture is still modern today. Notice the dome. It was one of the first schools in the nation to incorporate a dome structure for the gym, that by the way seats 5 or 6 thousand.

post-4789-1133443785_thumb.jpg A shot of the Eastman Chemical facility, one of the few that turned out

post-4789-1133442735_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133442769_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133442810_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133442840_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133442893_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133443625_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133443785_thumb.jpg

post-4789-1133445953_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first photo thread. I just got high speed and can post photos rather fast now. Technology is great, I am just catching up with it.

Should shoot a picture of "Rowenna", the "Netherland Inn", the shot across the river, and the other large house with the columns that were flooted down from Cincy (can't remember the name). I tried to find it on the National Register, but not knowing the name. Oh well.

The Rotherwood Mansion is just down the river from the Netherland Inn. I think that is what you are talking about. Someone moved in and restored the mansion several years back. There are a lot of historic structures in the Tri-cities and that could be a thread in its own.

Also the last pixture is the Coal Gasification Plant @ Eastman. There are probably 400 more building in the complex. That is where Lexy would come in handy because a pan shot is the only way you can get the entire plant site. Its like 2 miles long and a mile wide just at the main plant and if you go on down the river there is about a five mile stretch of different industries. Eastman, Area B Holson Army Ammo Plant, AFG Industries(glass mfg), General Shale brick and block, The old Penn Dixie cement factory, Weyerhaeuser papers, and then several miles on down is the Area A of the ammo plant that is on about 1500 acres.

Why aren't the trees around Church Circle taller? I remember seeing in a text book on architecture back in college in a section on planned cities a whole pictorial of Kingsport (ca. 1940), and there were many aerials of the city. The photos looked great. The city was only 20-30 years old then, but most of the churches were already there. So with 70+ years behind them, why aren't the trees taller?

I've never been to Kingsport, but I've wanted to go ever since college. Is the city seeing much growth these days?

I am trying to recall something I heard when I was a kid. It seems to me that there were a lot of trees that died from Dutch Elm disease and when I was 9 or so I remember a lot of new trees being planted down the north end of Broad. Some of the trees that are there now are rather large, its just that the church steeples are very tall and the chrches are sitting on higher ground than the trees in the foreground.

Some of you may not know that Kingsport was one of the first planned cities in the nation. The settlement had been there since the 1700's and that is where the Donelson expedition that founded Nashville left from. I would have to review my history to get all the details. I will see if I can find something and post foreveryone. I don't want to get my facts wrong because one of you will call me on it and then I will go crying in the corner some where and end up with some sort of inferiority complex.LOL

:cry:

Archived