Homosexuality & God/Guest on Fox News wrong

ShowMeKC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not an expert on this, but isn't the entire purpose of Christaniaty to put one's faith and salvation in the hands of Jesus? If so, then the rules and laws of the old testamate are just a description of what happened before Jesus came around.

Yes, that pretty much sums up the religion. If you follow it, you don't get to choose what law or will (Old vs New Testament) to follow. Its already been determined.

Now I don't pretend to know all or have any authority to speak for the Catholic Church (and with that disclaimer aside...)

From my viewings & readings of well known movements, religious leaders, and beliefs held by those in the Southern United States, I don't get a sense (in general) that the Old Testament plays that big of a role. I compare this to my Church, where weekly Gospel readings are frequently taken from the Old Testament, and any of our Bibles contain both texts.

I remember learning that for the first couple hundred years or so, there was no real distinction between the Jewish faith and what we now dub early Christians. Those who believed in Jesus were just one of many branches of Judaism. I think the Catholic Church (which I believe more or less started with Peter) recognizes this link with the Jews, perhaps more so than other Christian faiths (though not necessarily the most). Also the Jewish people are held in high regard as we accept "their God" as "our God", meaning we accept the Jews as being a "chosen people" and have a deeper appreciation for their holy texts. Basically by understanding earlier Jewish faiths, we gain a deeper understanding of our own God.

Now of course numerous Christian churches hold much the same belief, but it

Just out of curiosity for those with faith in a Christian God, how do you see Jesus as he was on Earth? All man? All God? Man with Godlike powers/tendencies? Some unknown blend which is just part of the mystery of what is God? How are Jesus and his relationship with God (assuming you don't believe anything less than calling Jesus "the one and only God, indivisible" is blasphemous) explained?
I see Jesus as an unexplainable mystery. I don't spend to much time thinking about it though. Even though the Church of Christ claims to be the New Testament Church started on the Day of Penacost, we regulary studied the Old Testament too. However, the studies focused on the moral aspect of the characters and how the situations they went through can be applied to our lives today.

For those that don't know the Catholic Church has the Holy Trinity (God, Jesus & The Holy Spirit), and the relationship they hold together is something fairly complex, and caulked under the category of "we can never fully understand, but here's our best guess..."

The Church of Christ, also has the "Holy Trinity" (God, Jesus & The Holy Spirit), but its called something else, but I can't remember it right now. A big difference, I noticed between the Catholic Church and Christianity, in general, is that the Catholic Church places a greater emphasis on Mary and the Pope, while their just regular people, no better than me or you, to most Christian churches.

I've been to several C of C congregations across the country that have been kind of strange. However, all religions are like that, when you consider the different cultures across this country and world. It took me a while to find the right church for me. The one I attend does recognize its teachings to be that of the New Testament Church. Why?, because it speaks where the Bible speaks and is silent where the Bible is silent. It does everything the one in the Bible did and was commanded to do. To me thats the only way to worship if you fully believe in the Bible. Either you accept it as a whole or you, just stay home and don't accept it at all. Personally, I have a problem with any church, including ones in the Church of Christ that practice and teach things not backed by the Bible.

Well, I don't go to church anymore, but recently they fired the minister at my parent's church of christ congregation (they did it a few days after he had a heart attack, might i add). Some love...

Anyway, its a white congregation - and they had a black preacher come sub for them. My mother loved him, and she tried to get me to go. LOLOL

But anyway, to get back to the story, some people in the church started calling him n*gg*r behind his back and hated him. He left. Made my parents re-think about going to church there. I was finally hoping they'd stop going. But no luck.. LOL

They are all hypocrites in one way or another if you ask me.. Preaching love, tolerance, and Jesus; then they hate more then they love. LOL

On that note though, even though its off topic from homosexuality..

Racism is so bad within the people I talk to, I have just begun to agree with people and move on.

When I was in Memphis last week, one of my old friends got really enraged and started going off in a McDonalds about how blacks were genealogically inferior and less mentally capable.. uh huh. I just rolled my eyes, but to get him to shut up I had to agree. So I did.

Come back up here and all I hear about are blacks this or blacks that, so now I've foudn myself following suit just to get everyone to shut up.

White people discriminate equally. Both my friend in Memphis - the Democrat former minister - and my friends up here, mostly Republican, hate blacks.

This guy I know in Nashville, who is a police officer, is actually one of the most interesting people I know. He's all smiles and friendly to black people in real life. But when I go out to dinner with him (he's gay), he starts talking about how inferior blacks are and how they commit all crime. He's also very Republican, listens to G. Gordon Liddy religiously, and tells me that Healthcare isn't a right everytime we meet.

We have quite a diverse crowd up here... Gay Republicans who discriminate; and Democratic voting, former Methodist minister (who is gay) that thinks blacks are genetically inferior to whites! Who'd of thought! LOL

I just say KOOKY and go on.

Man that's bad. I wonder will this country will ever get pass racism. I have family members and friends I grew up with that say similar things about white people. Normally, like you to get off the subject, I take it with a grain of salt. Sorry about you're parents church. I'd probably be staying home too if that happened here. Thats one funny thing about religion. Everybody claims they love God and everyone equally, but the Churches are all segregated. The one I attend is about roughly 50% mixed which is pretty hard to find.

I think its just something that is uniquely American.

It doesn't matter where I've been - be it Pittsburgh, Memphis, or Atlanta (yes, the self-appointed most progressive city in the south is filled with racist whites, especially northwest Cobb County)...

The most racially invisible cities I've been in weren't Atlanta, Orlando, Denver, or Chicago.

It was Toronto and London - the only two cities outside the US that I've been to.

The USA is just the USA. That's all there is to it. They really are more colorblind across the border, and just don't care either way. Even the most "progressive" USA cities have racists all over - usually in the suburbs, if not in the city.

St. Petersburg, FL had a riot a couple of years ago (1996?) when a black drug dealer & thief was shot by a white policeman. The KKK also got jumped by several black citizens when they had a rally in St. Pete. a couple years ago too. Those incidents are the most recent that I can remember around here.

I don't know why you think the south is more racially harmonious, it is definately not in my views. Racists in the north are more honest. They say what they don't like, but they don't hold grudges nearly as much.

Down here, southerners - like the methodist minister I mentioned earlier in Memphis - smiles at black people and treats them with upmost respect in person. Then when they aren't in sight, he trashes them as being beast-like. Its really backwards if you ask me - of course its the south so what do you expect?

But this is really a difference in culture - in the south, native southerners by majority are brought up to be nice and courteous and agree even if you disagree - southerners I believe tend to build up hate inside and burst because of this.

Northerners tend to let it out more freely. If they are mad, they tell you. If they have a few problems or ideas, they let you know. They don't smile, say hey in public as much, and etc. Well, unless its more rural and everyone knows everyone. But once you find a friend - you find a friend. It isn't a cover-up B.S. as often as you find down here in the south.

While that is a HUGE stereotype; I've found it to be somewhat true. And I would rather take the honesty over the faux-friendliness anyday.

This kind of attitude really shows in that racist minister who is all smiles to blacks in person... On the surface things seem okay in the south; but once a black person steps outside their boundaries then its hell.

---

Here is another thing that is backwards, but definately not limited to the south:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...utgopprinciples

People who vote on their "conservative" values and expect the Republicans to be for working people and the middle class. LOL

I find it downright hilarious that people (including many of my friends) are die-hard Republicans, and actually expect the party to stand up for them. LOLOLOLOL Especially my lesbian friend who is on welfare right now (unemployment benefits because they lost their job, not food stamps or other stuff). HAHAHAHAHAH

So funny.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not in to heated debates. But I'll put my two cents in...

I'm a Christian, and while the Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin, it also says that we as Christians are to love. The word Christian means Christ-like. I don't like it when some people say that "God hates Gays!" or "God hates This-and-That". God loves everyone, the only thing God hates is sin. And He holds all sin as equal, so if I slip up and lose my temper, I'm no better than a person practicing homosexuality. So, if I am to live a Godly Life, hate and condemnation shouldn't be in the picture. I have no problem with gay people, and even if I did, holding up posters that read "Gays Go to Hell" isn't going to change someone's mind.

Whew...

I hope that didn't sound too preachy or didactic! It could all be summed up in this tune:

Come on people now,

Smile on your brother,

Everybody come together,

And love one another...

Thank you, I'll be here all week, Tip your waitress! Good Night!

God doesn't hate anything like you said, he doesn't hate gays or anything like you said.

But he frowns upon that activity, especially as a sin. You can't do something your entire life, then ask for forgivness at judgement day or after you've died, it's unchristian. Our religion is based on love, and that love conquers all.

Anyhow, back on topic...

I'm not in to heated debates.  But I'll put my two cents in...

I'm a Christian, and while the Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin, it also says that we as Christians are to love.  The word Christian means Christ-like.  I don't like it when some people say that "God hates Gays!"  or "God hates This-and-That".  God loves everyone, the only thing God hates is sin.  And He holds all sin as equal, so if I slip up and lose my temper, I'm no better than a person practicing homosexuality.  So, if I am to live a Godly Life, hate and condemnation shouldn't be in the picture.  I have no problem with gay people, and even if I did, holding up posters that read "Gays Go to Hell" isn't going to change someone's mind.

Whew...

I hope that didn't sound too preachy or didactic!  It could all be summed up in this tune:

Come on people now,

Smile on your brother,

Everybody come together,

And love one another...

Thank you, I'll be here all week, Tip your waitress!  Good Night!

Amen to that. I am also Christian, and I am also a Black American and I have to say that the racism talk in this forum is making me feel uncomfortable. It burns me up to hear all this Nation of Islam KKK and Black Panthers and whatever. I cant believe the government has done nothing to stop this in America. If people are racist I wish they would just keep their thoughts to themselves.

Archived