City Of Miami Considers Tearing Down Orange Bowl

sunshine

POSTED: 2:12 am EST December 1, 2005

MIAMI -- City officials are considering plans to replace the 68-year-old Orange Bowl with a new stadium on the same site, which could force the Miami Hurricanes to play in Dolphins Stadium for at least a couple of seasons, city manager Joe Arriola said Wednesday.

http://www.local6.com/news/5441053/detail.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally will hate to see the OB go... I think it's a classic stadium, with actual charm and character (unlike some of the other D-I behemoths). I highly doubt that UM will ever get a site closer to campus (way too built out in that area + it's Coral Gables), so this is the best we can hope for...

The facilities are perfectly fine for UM football... Restroom and vendor capacity is adequate. Seating is WAY MORE than adequate... It is a little ghetto, but I prefer to think of that as character. With the gradual improvement of the neighborhood spilling over from DT, as well as the Metrorail expansion plans that eventually include an OB stop, I can really see this stadium consistently attracting capacity crowds in the future, and regaining some of its luster.

The timing just seems awkward to me. I just don't think this is the right time to give up on the OB...

Without an image, I find it difficult to judge the situation. Is there any architectural value in the old stadium?

I wouldn't say it has any architectural value. Mostly just historical and sentimental. The stadium hosted 5 super bowls, was home to the NFL (Dolphins) and NCAA (Hurricanes) records for longest home winning streaks and was used in 10 movies (Ace Ventura, Any Given Sunday, Black Sunday...). It looks like from the most recent reports that it will not be torn down but will instead be renovated. Joe Arriola was making the comments that it will be torn down but it is not his decision to make, it is the City Commission's, and they are saying it will be renovated.

bowlsmall.jpg

bowlb2.gif

300px-MiamiOrangebowl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived