Downtown Rotterdam

Ronald

Wednesday afternoon I took a walk through downtown Rotterdam.

I covered most of Downtown in about 40 minutes.

Rotterdam is the second city of the Netherlands, and is currently competing with Singapore for the title 'largest port in the world', after being the largest port in the world for decades.

Because the Germans bombed Rotterdam during WW2, the original downtown was completely destroyed.

It's been rebuild in a modern way, after the economy recovered.

It is the most modern city in the Netherlands, and the only city with a lot of tall office buildings in its downtown.

We'll start with the area around Central Station:

the headquarters of an insurance company, and the tallest building in the Netherlands:

ee1e22c3.jpg

1c8ceabc.jpg

fa6f82ef.jpg

the Westin Hotel:

3a73bc7a.jpg

7f612e41.jpg

90fe59bb.jpg

What a canyon effect!

7021282c.jpg

5386bbe3.jpg

1c873f0e.jpg

shopping streets, with City Hall in the distance:

70eadb01.jpg

Square around the cinema:

2f06cbe0.jpg

cefc34a1.jpg

the red cranes are symbolic, meant to show that Rotterdam is a harbour city.

277a2a2b.jpg

Moving on to the shopping area:

60f9d657.jpg

a60fe488.jpg

21294326.jpg

5d7140ea.jpg

The 'Koopgoot', or 'buying ditch' (literally translated). This is the newest shopping area in downtown, I thought it has been completed about 5 years ago.

aeb1834e.jpg

0b8a4cb2.jpg

5caf5b2a.jpg

f87479a7.jpg

There's tramways all over downtown:

462a61d1.jpg

fc6b642a.jpg

af559df5.jpg

the World Trade Center:

768304c1.jpg

St. Laurentius Church:

b7e5c76d.jpg

27a090d4.jpg

b5afa2ac.jpg

2dfd409a.jpg

More Shopping:

1607b334.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A glimpse of the city's industrial past:

3fc0bf83.jpg

The market square:

b1308342.jpg

FLTR: Public Library, modern residential developments with exceptional architecture, the Willem's Bridge, and more to the right there's a subway/ tramway/ railway station (that dome-ish building):

e7d61e65.jpg

Inside the Public Library:

6ac83dd5.jpg

cb8b405f.jpg

Skyline shots from the top floor of the Public Library:

e14e6213.jpg

8815cbba.jpg

fd902310.jpg

the Erasmus Bridge:

067385d7.jpg

2914e910.jpg

81d44d31.jpg

Some of Rotterdam's most (in)famous architecture:

5aaab4c0.jpg

74b05ffc.jpg

Some last skyline shots:

f10dcbd9.jpg

4cb8471c.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

• 8 months later...

Again, Im relpying top a post that has been relied in like a year! O well. I AM Going to Rotterdam this coming summer. If I like it really well, Im going to learn Dutch in college and try to move to the Netherlands. It seems like home just looking through the pictures. I cant wait to go on my European Excursion!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on this site for a while, and I am (pleasantly) surprised to see two of my photo threads on the first page of the City Photo's Forum. I will create some more photo threads, as I've been travelling around a lot this year (5x to Germany, once to Austria/Italy, and I'm going to England in 3 weeks).

Randy, have a great trip! How interresting that you might want to move here, I've been wanting to go to Seattle ever since I visited it last year. Could you PM me your msn adress (if you have one, that is)? I think it's very flattering that you like this city so much and that you would even want to learn the language!

Krazeeboi, Rotterdam is unique in the Netherlands and along with a handfull of other European cities, rare in Europe. The overwhelming majority of European city cores is old, historical, and highrises are rare. Instead, lots of 4-6 story buildings are packed together along narrow streets. Shopping in, for example, Utrecht or Amsterdam is totally unlike anything in the US!

Archived