Butternut Coffee Building catches on fire

One of Downtown Omaha's famous landmarks, the 9 story Butternut Coffee Building, catched on fire this last Wednesday. The fire completely destroyed the insides of the building and collapsed the huge signature coffee can that stood proud for nearly a century. All that remains now is the outer red brick walls, and officials are keeping constant watch on that in fear it too will eventually collapse. So far, though, the 30 inch thick walls continue to stand.

Built in 1908, the 9 story building was undergoing a massive renovation to convert it's 210,000 square feet of space into condominiums. The renovation work was just weeks from completion when the fire struck. Depending on the exact start date, it is anticipated it will take some 3-4 years to create a new highrise apartment complex. I will have more updates on this development as soon as I get them.

As an aside, I was always used to seeing this building in the skyline during my trips downtown. I will definately miss it's presense in the skyline.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about this. How awful! It was the last warehouse in the warehouse district left to be converted into lofts. I love old buildings like this. It really is a loss for DT Omaha. Architecture like this is irreplaceable. Do you have any pics of the building?

Archived