Mills/50

camstrang

Any word on what's happening with the massive Mills/Nebraska development? I was watching a city council meeting a couple months ago where the councilman said to the developer "welcome to construction," but since then the stores on that land seem to still be in business and nothing's changed. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the plans or timetable for that development. I'm moving over to Baldwin and would love to know when that old mill eyesore will be razed.

There is almost always an interminably long wait for permits. Almost nothing gets started by the projected date. I think this is an immutable law of the universe.

Huh? I think the wait is that the developer doesn't close on this site until mid-2006, and states that they will not start construction until 2007. There will be an article in the sentinel any day now about this, with *my guess* Justin Pelloni giving the details of the timeline for construction... Oh yeah, it's not because they are waiting for permits (unless they are permitting in Orange County, then it could be a long time). -_-

Edited by Jaybee

That's interesting, thanks for the info. Then what was I watching where the councilman was praising the development plans and told Pelloni "Welcome to construction"? That seems odd if they haven't even closed on the site.

I only caught part of the hearing, but it sounded to me like the city was giving him approval to start work. I've noticed some demolition on part of the property, on the north end near Will's Pub. Maybe that's what they were referring to? Starting demo on part of the property?

Huh? I think the wait is that the developer doesn't close on this site until mid-2006, and states that they will not start construction until 2007. There will be an article in the sentinel any day now about this, with *my guess* Justin Pelloni giving the details of the timeline for construction... Oh yeah, it's not because they are waiting for permits (unless they are permitting in Orange County, then it could be a long time). -_-

Evidently 'welcome to construction' means two years then. Whatever the case, take all projected starting dates with a grain of salt. Immutable law of the universe.

Evidently 'welcome to construction' means two years then. Whatever the case, take all projected starting dates with a grain of salt. Immutable law of the universe.

This is all so confusing (and disappointing) to me. I thought the Sentinel article some months ago stated that construction was to begin in January. That's also what I saw in a Colonialtown newsletter column written by Patty Sheehan.

Admittedly this was some months ago, and perhaps all of the facts and details hadn't come to light yet.

I'm just so bummed to hear this. My Colonialtown neighbors and I have been waiting and hoping and watching for signs that the retail businesses would close in preparation for demolition. Now it seems even further down the pike than 55 West. I live in the nearby area too and am really tired of looking at that eyesore.

yes, Dale is right. This ain't 1908 anymore; we build cities slowly nowadays. Thank America's ludicrous fear of liability for that.

It's kind of funny to me how excited neighborhood residents can get about anything so long as it's replacing something generally held to be significantly more repulsive. I'll admit, the lumber mill is a waste of such a large site on a main commercial street close to those lakes, but what's proposed to replace it is multi-family! Under most circumstances nothing, excepting maybe tanneries and sex shops, brings the torch-and-pitchfork NIMBY crowd out to the public hearings more effectively than multi-family proposals. It's all relative, I suppose.

It has taken a client of mine upwards of a year to open a small pizzaria, in a strip center, in a space already outfitted for a restaurant. This is just based on the myriad permits and inspections required, as well as extra equipment he has to install to comply with draconian environmental regulations.

It's kind of funny to me how excited neighborhood residents can get about anything so long as it's replacing something generally held to be significantly more repulsive. I'll admit, the lumber mill is a waste of such a large site on a main commercial street close to those lakes, but what's proposed to replace it is multi-family! Under most circumstances nothing, excepting maybe tanneries and sex shops, brings the torch-and-pitchfork NIMBY crowd out to the public hearings more effectively than multi-family proposals. It's all relative, I suppose.

It's not just multi-familiy -- it's retail, restaurants and offices as well. Basically like a taller version of ColonialTown up in Lake Mary, which is a great development (I used to live up there). It's even the same developer, right? I think Mills/Nebraska will be a fantastic addition to the area, extending the draw of Winter Park Village and Loch Haven Park all the way down to Colonial Drive.

Edited by camstrang

I think the land next to Wills that has been demolished is something completely different than this project. It may all run together, but something makes me think this is an office building being built.

I received a new Colonialtown newsletter yesterday, but have yet to read it. It usually has a blurb about Mills/Nebraska in it. I may have another update later when I read it.

• 3 months later...

It's not just multi-familiy -- it's retail, restaurants and offices as well. Basically like a taller version of ColonialTown up in Lake Mary, which is a great development (I used to live up there). It's even the same developer, right? I think Mills/Nebraska will be a fantastic addition to the area, extending the draw of Winter Park Village and Loch Haven Park all the way down to Colonial Drive.

I didn't think it looked all that bad, considering it's across the street from a massive car wash, and was adjacent to gas stations, pay here car lots, a crumbling hotel and some other deserted or almost deserted buildings. That area is really gentrifying now though...Wills is next to go...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As of this afternoon, someone has spray painted "demo" signs in neon orange on all of the buildings, basically from Virginia all the way north, nearly to Will's Pub.

I hope our graffiti artist is not at it again, and that this is for real.

All of the businesses are vacated by now, too.

I wish there were more info on the timing of when construction will begin.

As of this afternoon, someone has spray painted "demo" signs in neon orange on all of the buildings, basically from Virginia all the way north, nearly to Will's Pub.

I hope our graffiti artist is not at it again, and that this is for real.

All of the businesses are vacated by now, too.

I wish there were more info on the timing of when construction will begin.

That's not graffiti. That means they are slated for demolition. So, it looks like within the next few weeks, these buildings will be being demolished. Notice no "DEMO" spraypainted on the cash register store. That guy refused to sell, so they will be building around him and his nasty looking building.

The spray painted "DEMO" is common around this side of town with all of the homes that are demolished for new homes/townhomes/condos.

That's not graffiti. That means they are slated for demolition. So, it looks like within the next few weeks, these buildings will be being demolished. Notice no "DEMO" spraypainted on the cash register store. That guy refused to sell, so they will be building around him and his nasty looking building.

The spray painted "DEMO" is common around this side of town with all of the homes that are demolished for new homes/townhomes/condos.

Well, the owner of that business (Lust Cash Tansactors) is in his 70s, so there may be some emotional attachment to the property where he has done business for many years.

But according to property appraisal records, he is claiming the homestead exemption on it, which I suppose means that he is claiming to live there. That is just astounding to me. The place was built in 1925 and it is not being maintained; looks like it is positively rat infested -- trash everywhere, broken windows, you name it.

It would seem to me that there are some code enforcement issues there which aren't being enforced. And once this beautiful development goes up, perhaps something might be done about it -- at least to clean the property up.

For the record, here is a story on the subject that ran in the Sentinel in February, which I found through Google...

Project to smother holdout's business

Mark Schlueb

Sentinel Staff Writer

February 20, 2006

Packed inside Mark Lust's shop are hundreds of typewriters and cash registers.

There are old black Underwoods that weigh as much as a boat anchor and shiny brass registers with baroque finishes made by early-1900s craftsmen.

But outside, the modern world is pressing in.

A Lake Mary company has taken an interest in the block on Mills Avenue where Lust has spent nearly three decades fixing and selling typewriters and registers at Lust Cash Transactors.

Pelloni Development Inc. plans 564 apartments and condos, 270,000 square feet of offices and 80,000 square feet of shops and restaurants.

Most of the 14 acres is now home to Mills & Nebraska Lumber, an Orlando mainstay for more than 70 years. But the owners of the lumberyard agreed to sell.

Lust is holding out.

"I'd like to get enough money to move and enough money to duplicate what I've got. That's all. And I don't see anything wrong with that," said Lust, who is in his 70s.

Developer Justin Pelloni said he offered Lust $150 per square foot, higher than the going rate in downtown Orlando and an amount one commercial broker described as "extraordinarily generous." When that failed, he offered Lust a new shop and a condo in his development.

"We offered him about 10 times market value per square foot anywhere," Pelloni said. "We don't begrudge him anything. We want to be good neighbors."

No dice.

"The developer never made me any kind of bona fide offer," Lust insists.

So the wheels of progress just might roll over Mark Lust. Current plans call for wrapping the development around his shop, surrounding it on every side but the street front.

Pelloni said he would still like to work with Lust but can do just fine without his property.

"They figure I'm so small they can smother me," Lust said. "I'm old enough to have seen changes that have matured over the years -- for better or worse. I can survive."

I hope somebody builds a good sportsbar in there. We are in dire need of something as simple as a sportsbar downtown. I just want some beer, wings and football without having to drive all over the place!

THe Clubhouse, formerly Maui Jacks, at Pine St. and Magnolia.