Mills/50

camstrang

^^

I think Village at Lake Lilly is a combo deal with The City, which might have something to do with why they broke ground now... their other City Center proposal is to tear down the Winn Dixie up the road and put this incredible looking set of multi-story buildings all the way back to Maitland Ave.

http://www.floridatrend.com/article.asp?aID=47949

yea

the area definitely looks like it will be amazing

There is also the other big condo project just up the road on 17-92 that I think connected to the village at lake lilly, then right across the street from that seems like another mid rise is set to go up, also hugging the street

I am a big fan of those large mid-rises filling up space and hugging the street.....cant wait to see this whole area come to full fruition

• 2 weeks later...

The residential building plans were submitted to the City last week and we are anticipating having a building permit available by April. ZOM is extremely confident in the apartment market.

This article is a bit old but still gives a suggested date.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/community_colonialtown/

hey, good luck on that bud.... didn't know you were involved with the project... hopefully there won't be any more hold-ups at that stage of the game... can't wait for this one to go up.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't normaly drive down mills, but I started a new job on colonial and it has become part of my commute. The last two days I noticed workers on this site and some large precast cement pieces as well. Maybe someone could shed some light on what's going on.

There are now a ton of large precast cement pieces all over the property and new signs are up selling the apartments and office/retail/medical condos. With all the precast cement pieces, this should go up quickly. The sign says commencing Summer 2008.

• 3 months later...

I heard there were plans for a really nice hardware store and lumber yard. <_<

(Sorry, couldn't resist - this bad boy seems to be stuck.)

i was talking to someone the other day that referred to the pelloni's by first name and indicated that they wanted mom and pop stores over larger chains. they did mention a fresh market also, but didn't know for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This was just forwarded along to me and notes some of the plans for the Mills/50 - ViMi district. Interesting that Eddie has more planned for the area around Funky Monkey/Bananas - a homegrown conglomerate!

http://www.watermarkonline.com/index.php/News/orlando-lgbt-news/5168-Realizing-Mills50-Orlandos-Gay-District-Jumps-Back-Life.html

• 5 weeks later...

Mills Park Has A New Owner:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2011/04/mills-park-under-new-ownership.html

I saw a DeBartolo trailer parked on the site last week and wondered if something was up - obviously there was. Hopefully, progress. That's much too nice an area of town to have that large tract sitting fallow.

http://www.bizjourna...-ownership.html

I saw a DeBartolo trailer parked on the site last week and wondered if something was up - obviously there was. Hopefully, progress. That's much too nice an area of town to have that large tract sitting fallow.

I snapped a photo of the DeBartolo trailer last night as I was walking past and was going to ask if anyone knew anything.

5613403904_072d1d71a8.jpg

Edited by smileguy

http://www.bizjourna...-ownership.html

Further update, it looks like they are picking up where the other guys left off

http://www.bizjourna...s-unveiled.html

Edited by FLheat

It's about time. Maybe the leftover parcels of land can be used for medical offices to support Florida Hospital.

I also wish the South Eola neighborhood (specifically the area within mariposa/jackson/eola/summerlin) could get some kind of infill project. It's so sparse and ugly within that little pocket. Keep Constitution Green park, but just raze the old duplexes and build some nice townhomes (like the "brownstones" on osceola or michigan ave) which could face the park.

This development could kick start investment in Virginia Ave in the same manner as Thornton Park Central for Washington St in Thornton Park.

I love the stretch of Virginia between Mills and Lake Ivanhoe. It has a pretty diverse collection of businesses, restaurants and bars. Hopefully the new development will raise the area's profile and boost the residential areas, too. It has the potential to be a great "live, work, play" area.

I was talking to an owner of a business located on Mills Ave last night and he was talking about how the area around his business is quickly changing. This is all of course hearsay but throughout the conversation he dropped some interesting information about whats happening in this area. Again I say these are all rumors but they do come from a source I trust so....

#1) Forbidden City is about the close, due to overdue rent bills. A gay couple already plan to take over the lease and open a new sandwicheria that will specialize in unique, locally grown sandwiches and will be open late nights and possibly 24/7 on the weekends. They are planning to have some large gay flags and some updated neon on the building.

#2) He mentioned Mills Park and that they are in talks with bringing a grocery store to the development. Publix is most likely at this point but Whole Foods, Aldi, and Trader Joes (I think this one may be just wishful thinking).

#3) The Center is planning to have more events going on in the neighborhood with possibly having monthly fundraisers that would include local shops and cafes.

#4) The Asian businesses have had some issues with the new marketing efforts that the GBLTQ businesses have done. Expect a new marketing effort for a gay-friendly district that goes from Funky Monkey north to Princeton, then south of Funky Monkey will be marketed as an Asian district. Some local businesses are wanting to have banners on poles to both separate and define the districts better. Expect more gay flags in the gay-friendly district. The ViMi name may be used for this district but there are brainstorming sessions for something more unique. Mills92 was also dropped as a possible name.

Like a said this is all just what someone told me but it is at least interesting to think about. The chances of all or any of this coming true is hard to tell but at least people are talking about the area.