Mills/50

camstrang

I noticed this weekend whatever had opened in the former Bananas space is already gone. It appears FMI Restaurant Group is replacing that generic brew pub concept with a space dedicated full time to drag performance mashed up with dinner theater.

It probably makes sense given the drag gospel brunch was the most successful element of Bananas but I am still turned off a bit by the ownership of FMI and how they represent themselves publicly.

http://www.divasorlando.com

Photos: Local artist Chris Scala creates cheeky new public art in Mills 50

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2014/12/06/photos-local-artist-chris-scala-creates-cheeky-new-public-art-in-mills-50 

Private, grass-roots investments like this are what differentiate thriving communities. It doesn't have the scale or bravado of See Art Orlando, but it is the result of someone saying "What can I do to make my neighborhood better?" and it comes on top of the new Cameo sign and building improvements.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What's up with the old Anthony's Pizza on the NW corner of Mlls and 50?

Glad you asked: Work is underway to convert the pizzeria into a pharmacy that will be called, Saigon Pharmacy

Good! I was assuming that it was the owner fixing it up to be more attractive for a new tenant. The former asian grocery a block West of there is being built out as a bar as well, which fills up all of the retail along that stretch of 50 again -- at least I can't think of any vacancies, which is the first time in years that's been the case (Cameo and Ralph Kazarian building being two notable gaps in recent years.)  It's also worth noting that Little Saigon has expanded into the Ace Stamp and Sign space.  Mills only has 3-4 empty spaces too.  This is good.

I think this area - behind and across the street from Cruises Only - could easily be the site of another low-rise apartment block, although it would need to take a slightly different form than the others that have been opening around town due to the existing development.

The namesake intersection of the Mills50 district is such a disaster and so important. Would love to see it become a priority for the City. Lots of pedestrian life due to the cohesive shops and the high number of LYNX transfers from Colonial to Mills...but it stands in its own way with correctable defects on all 4 corners.

I wonder if some of the issues could be forced through ADA complaints.

• Like 1

The namesake intersection of the Mills50 district is such a disaster and so important. Would love to see it become a priority for the City. Lots of pedestrian life due to the cohesive shops and the high number of LYNX transfers from Colonial to Mills...but it stands in its own way with correctable defects on all 4 corners.

They need to modify redlight cameras to get people who do or even try to turn left from Mills onto Colonial where you can't. Can't tell you how many times I've sat through extra lights or almost been hit by some idiot because they can't read or just don't care. Of course I've seen OPD at that light 3 times when someone did it and they didn't do anything so guess that won't change.

Honest question because I agree that intersection needs revamped immediately, but I don't know a ton about this topic.  How are the defects correctable?  

The northwest would be simple, and northeast wouldn't be THAT tough since there's enough berm around the CVS.  But the southern corners?  The phone repair store is practically in the street on the southeast side and on southwest side, there's not much room either unless you move the overhead lines underground.

At the least I'd extend the sidewalk out into what seems to be the continuation of the parking lane (obviously no one parks at the intersection). Then I'd want to see what could be done about the signal boxes and guy wires.

As far as the structures go - its a tough go and obviously harder to get change versus the public space

At the least I'd extend the sidewalk out into what seems to be the continuation of the parking lane (obviously no one parks at the intersection). Then I'd want to see what could be done about the signal boxes and guy wires.

As far as the structures go - its a tough go and obviously harder to get change versus the public space

On the south side I see people park along Colonial all the time.  (In front of Little Saigon).  On the side next to Mamak I never see cars and usually see cars use the parking lane as an extended right turn lane onto NB mills.

WOW - cant link but per Bungalower - the Ifixyouri and Anthony's pizza properties are for sale!

What a redevelopment opportunity that would fix that corner nicely!

It also includes the Hung's/ABC Bartending School building on Mills. It'd be great if that plus the Anthony's structure remained but I wouldn't be sad to see the iFixYouri/Ralph Kazarian building demolished to make that corner more functional. What an eyesore. (Although it'd be a shame to lose the mural.)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a Popeyes chicken may be coming to 1904 E Colonial - parking lot between Dollar Tree and Modern Bridal Shop. There were plans for something here a year or so ago but here we are...

That would be cool.

I never go there because it's not worth the drive up to WP or Semoran & Lk Underhill.

Underwhelming to me.   There's already Wendy's across the street and Chik-Fila nearby.  I remember about a decade ago there was a sign for a Kobe at what became Office Depot, then it moved to the site we're talking about now.  Now the Kobe sign is in that abandoned restaurant next to the abandoned Chevron at Fern Creek and 50.  Anyone know if there's any plans for those two places?

Edited by codypet

Looks like a Popeyes chicken may be coming to 1904 E Colonial - parking lot between Dollar Tree and Modern Bridal Shop. There were plans for something here a year or so ago but here we are...

For an area with MU-2 zoning (High Intensity Mixed Use Corridor) I was expecting a lot more than a Popeye's.  I bought a house just down the street from there in the hopes that the area would become more urban, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not really another fast food place. 

For an area with MU-2 zoning (High Intensity Mixed Use Corridor) I was expecting a lot more than a Popeye's.  I bought a house just down the street from there in the hopes that the area would become more urban, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not really another fast food place. 

I too am very perplexed as to why, on and "urban" planet board, there is so much excitement and discussion about a new popeye's or a wawa.  These are anything but urban. Seems to be a real spectrum on here.  There are those that go ballistic if a new project isn't over 400' tall and those that get all excited by popeye's.  I fall somewhere in the middle.  I'm fine with the scope of the new residential projects.  It's about non-car centered, people, vibrancy and density.  You want to put a popeye's on the ground floor of a city appartment/jcondo ... great.  Build one with a parking lot and a drive-thru ... ugh.

• 8 months later...

I can't seem to link to it at the moment, but Orlando Weekly is reporting that pretty much the entire SE corner block of Mills and Colonial is being listed for sale. That includes the old Ralph Kazarian building on the corner and a more interesting building from the 20's or 30's behind. There's great potential to do something interesting... hopefully, it won't just end up a Walgreens big box.

Edited by spenser1058

WOW - cant link but per Bungalower - the Ifixyouri and Anthony's pizza properties are for sale!

What a redevelopment opportunity that would fix that corner nicely!

I can't seem to link to it at the moment, but Orlando Weekly is reporting that pretty much the entire SE corner block of Mills and Colonial is being listed for sale. That includes the old Ralph Kazarian building on the corner and a more interesting building from the 20's or 30's behind. There's great potential to do something interesting... hopefully, it won't just end up a Walgreens big box.

I'm amused at the history of being unable to link to this story 

• Like 3

There's great potential to do something interesting... hopefully, it won't just end up a Walgreens big box.

Agreed. From an urbanist perspective, I feel the CVS across the street just destroys the street frontage and urban feel of the area. The suburban-style parking lot, the entrance facing away from the street and into the parking lot (it should be facing the corner like the Anh Hong Restaurant across the street does in my opinion), and the building shunning both Colonial and Mills is a big no no.

Alas, the site is likely doomed to become a Walgreens since they always seem to open a store near a CVS. Honesty, the Ralph Kazarian/iFixYouri building should be demolished, the building behind it and the Anthony's Pizza should stay, but spruced up with some renovation work. This leaves about 4,000 sf to work with on the corner. Whatever gets built there must address the corner. If a Walgreens is planned there, they could choose to do a smaller store with an urban design (I've seen such cases of a small urban Walgreens in Alexandria, Virginia as well as in Manhattan) and they could always go two floors if needed (or three, for storage). The parking lot on this land could become another commercial building instead of just being parking. I just hope whoever buys the lot really doesn't screw it over.

Are there any updates on that huge empty lot bordered by Colonial, Hyer, and Thornton Ave? That's the perfect location for building a parking garage for the Mills/50 neighborhood to address parking needs. It'd be nice to see all the surface parking lots eventually get infilled with buildings, or even a city park, since Mills/50 needs green space. One can dream.

• Like 1