Mills/50

camstrang

Great post - welcome to the forum, metal93! The site you mention just to the west has been vacant for some time. There were two adjoining gas stations there for years so brownfield issues may be a problem, but I've not heard anything definitive. Personally, I still miss what was the closest Shell station to me *sigh*.

Edited by spenser1058

Thank you, spenser1058. So it was gas stations that existed there. I would generally oppose building gas stations in such an area but a small Wawa wouldn't hurt, though that would be superfluous as there are already two off Colonial not too far away. I suppose brownfield concerns and the expense of cleaning it up is what keeps things from being built there.

Thank you, spenser1058. So it was gas stations that existed there. I would generally oppose building gas stations in such an area but a small Wawa wouldn't hurt, though that would be superfluous as there are already two off Colonial not too far away. I suppose brownfield concerns and the expense of cleaning it up is what keeps things from being built there.

There has been what appears to be soil vapor extraction going on at both lots for a few years. 

• 2 months later...

I'm really becoming quite fond of Colonialtown lately, especially the "old" C-town north of 50 between Mills and Ferncreek and south of say, Virginia. Very small lots and often without sidewalks, it reminds me of northern neighborhoods built for workers adjoining the factories where they toiled. When 17-92 and 50 originally came through, it altered much of the commercial areas that serviced it, but even that is changing back over time. I'm writing a post for the coffee house now which talks about how I realize the vision many of us had for downtown when redevelopment first got underway in the early '80's will never take place, and that our Main Street 'hoods and places like this are great alternatives. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another major townhouse project was approved for rezoning along Fern Creek.  This is called the "Fern Creek 20 Planned Development" and involves 8 separate single family home lots combined into the larger development.

The Daily City reported:  http://www.thedailycity.com/2016/01/20-unit-3-story-townhouse-development.html

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-07-26%2Bat%2B5.45.0

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-07-26%2Bat%2B5.44.4

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Some welcome progress on 50 - 

The closed Chevron at Fern Creek (1601 E Colonial) will be redeveloped sooner than later.

The closed Tire Kingdom (2001 E Colonial) is being renovated to a retail store sooner than later.

No word on our elusive Kobe 

• Like 1

Would be nice if they'd extend the storefront West to fill in most of that front parking area, since they have pretty ample parking in the rear, not to mention enough room for a few spaces along the Hampton Ave side....

14m6oig.jpg

Maybe repair that broken retaining wall on the corner.

Place is an eyesore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Some welcome progress on 50 - 

The closed Chevron at Fern Creek (1601 E Colonial) will be redeveloped sooner than later.

The closed Tire Kingdom (2001 E Colonial) is being renovated to a retail store sooner than later.

No word on our elusive Kobe 

Is the Tire Kingdom a for sure thing yet? I'm working with a group that's trying to buy it rather than lease it. The realtor is notorious for not answering phone calls. 

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:08 PM, Jernigan said:

Any word if this will be a mixed-use project or if the project will combine the Chevron and Kobe lots? This article from January said it would be a mixed-use project, but I haven't heard anything since.

I really hope we get some height on that corner. When I read that article, I made this scale comparison of the Chevron/Kobe lots to Thornton Park Central on Summerlin. Something with integrated parking would be great and pretty feasible from the standpoint of available space.

Colonial.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/27/2016 at 10:41 PM, JFW657 said:

Would be nice if they'd extend the storefront West to fill in most of that front parking area, since they have pretty ample parking in the rear, not to mention enough room for a few spaces along the Hampton Ave side....

14m6oig.jpg

Maybe repair that broken retaining wall on the corner.

Place is an eyesore.

A nonprofit I work with put an offer on the Tire Kingdom space. He's asking $2.2M

• Like 1