Mills/50

camstrang

Decent little infill project, although, I don't really understand the mixture of materials (brick ground floor and a "loud" stucco second floor).  A well executed 2 story brick building should be fairly easy to do here.

Edited by prahaboheme

• 1 month later...

Looks like demolition has started on the Chevron property. Two diggers were delivered to the site last week and this morning the carwash was already half gone. Hoping they take down Kobe while they're at it...

Also, it looks like someone is gutting Tire Kingdom. Roof was redone last week, all windows have been removed (including floor-to-ceiling windows along the front), and all the HVAC equipment is out. According to some permits a friend saw, this could end up being a Uniform City. (Not the brewery I was hoping for...)

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 11:04 AM, Jernigan said:

I wonder what will move into the current Uniform City locstion at 1243 E Colonial (corner of 50 and Shine).   Could be a net gain.

I love that brick ... that could be a really interesting space with the right tenant. There's a cool single-story building in the back lot behind this that i find really interesting too. I just toured it with a non-profit looking for a home and I kind of fell in love with it. Would need to be totally gutted though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, prahaboheme said:

Another major townhouse project was approved for rezoning along Fern Creek.  This is called the "Fern Creek 20 Planned Development" and involves 8 separate single family home lots combined into the larger development.

The Daily City reported:  http://www.thedailycity.com/2016/01/20-unit-3-story-townhouse-development.html

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-07-26%2Bat%2B5.45.0

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-07-26%2Bat%2B5.44.4

A quick update on Ferncreek and Colonial:

• Demolition has started along Ferncreek, presumably for the project above. An older wood house is completely gone and the white house that was a dentist (?) is halfway demoed.
  • Across the street from this lot, the "Ferncreek 5" look close to move-in-ready.
  • A block south, the Chevron/Kobe have been completely leveled, but the parking lots are still clinging on. A chain-link fence is up with a black liner at the bottom.

• 2 months later...

I remember reading somewhere that a Beach/Plaza would be created on Lake Ivanhoe (as it used to be in the 50's/60's). I believe this is the area where the sand volleyball courts are in front of The Yard development and the Italian/Greek restaurants, right? What became of that petition to create a beachfront park?

• 1 month later...

It's been a little slow lately, so I wanted to post an updated about Fern Creek and Colonial, an intersection I drive by at least twice a day:

• Fern Creek 5 (green) is complete
  • Fern Creek 20 (red with image) is cleared except for one building. It looks like there is some plumbing going in as well as framing along the southern half for an upcoming pour. Slow but occasional progress. 
  • Chevron/Barney's (red with ?) is still unknown. Bungalower reported (among other Mills50 projects) that a permit was pulled for 9,000 sq ft of restaurant/mercantile to an existing 6,000 sq ft of assembly space (?). 

Colonial_FernCreek.jpg

This is shaping up to be quite the urban corner and really a gateway into an urban neighborhood. However, a lot hinges on what will happen on the mystery lot. A four-story mixed-use building could anchor the whole area and activate a lot of the underused small lots and office buildings along this strip. (In addition to more townhomes to come along Fern Creek.) But a 9,000 sq ft strip mall would...not. 

In other news, Bungalower also posted some great photos of Lazy Moon, which opened last week in the old Euro Living space. Drove by late Saturday and it looked busy. Would love to see something big come to the lot across from Lazy Moon / Snap.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There's a fence and a sign up around the empty asphalt parking lot next to the Dollar Tree on E. Colonial

If I remember right, it was going to be a drive-through of some sort, like a Popeye's? Or maybe that was just the permitted use they were advertising with. Still, for such a big lot with such intense zoning, a drive-through would be embarrassing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

There is a coming soon sign up. I can't remember exactly what it was though. Beauty school?

That rings a bell. haha it's so boring though, no wonder I forgot. 

2 hours ago, alex said:

If I remember right, it was going to be a drive-through of some sort, like a Popeye's? Or maybe that was just the permitted use they were advertising with. Still, for such a big lot with such intense zoning, a drive-through would be embarrassing. 

I think that fell through and they're just keeping it parceled off to give prospective buyers an idea of the lot size. I may be wrong though. 

• 1 month later...