Mills/50

camstrang

29 minutes ago, codypet said:

I believe so.  I think the buildings have to be up toward the street as part of the streetwall requirements of the area.

Plus, if you look closely at the site plan, you can see the dumpster enclosure at the SE corner of the parking lot, lower right corner of the drawing. No way they'd ever put the dumpster out on Colonial Dr.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Another piece by Ennis Davis at metrojacksonville.com, this time on Mills/50:

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-mar-an-up-coming-neighborhood-orlandos-mills-50

I am so impressed by his work!

jax404.png

Very nice!!! :thumbsup:

I must admit, I haven't seen a better 404 PAGE NOT FOUND that I can remember!!!

Bravo!!! clap2.gif

j/k ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Located just northeast of Downtown Orlando, Mills 50 was recently recognized as one of the top 12 neighborhoods across America about to get crazy popular.

If only there were some large, empty parcels with high-density zoning to accommodate people wanting to move to this popular neighborhood...

:tw_naughty:

• Like 2

The article tells a lot about the history of the area, then states:

"Today, the district is supported and promoted by Mills 50 Main Street. Co. with a mission to foster the diverse neighborhood by stimulating business and promoting creative culture within a pedestrian friendly community. 

But it doesn't say much about any future revitalization plans.

They need to invest in a nice street scaping project. Take down those ugly overhead utility lines and concrete poles, etc. Maybe put in some landscaped medians. 

Same with Corrine Dr.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Mills 50 is definitely good at having articles written about them.  As a local, I just don't get it...

Housing-wise, I think you're right. SoDo, especially if you factor in Lake Davis/Cherokee, has an amazing wealth of architectural styles and price points.

It's in the business districts that Mills/50 stands out. The idea of diversity that Orlando proclaims as its modern myth really began with Little Saigon at the intersection of Mills and Colonial.

Then, in the late 80's and 90's, the ViMi District popped up with lots of small gay shops. When The Center moved in and the rainbow flags flew, the neighborhood's reputation was set. Lots of affordable fixer-uppers as downtown was getting pricy also helped solidify the hipster cred.

Most of these articles were written by out of towners who can easily find Mills/50 and the interesting parts. In SoDo, you have to dig a little deeper (like around the Amtrak station.)

Interestingly, SoDo is getting more of the small businesses and the Pulse tragedy has made it an important stop in the district. Meanwhile, Mills/50 is getting a Racetrac, so the areas are becoming more similar.

Personally, among the new developments, I prefer SoDo to Mills Park.

6 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Audubon is the one that makes no sense to me. There is very little in that area but it gets a large portion of the national press about Orlando. Not sure which PR firm is pushing those articles but their clients and biases definitely shine through.

They have really good, local food. East End, P is for Pie, Blue Bird, Gourmet Muffin, soon to be Bem Bom. Corrine is just a really nice strip that leads into Baldwin, which people love. 

• 1 month later...

The Ivanhoe->Mills 50->Audubon area is as close to hipster Brooklyn (vs Manhattan) as Orlando gets - the trendier, hipper, "artsier", grungier neighbor that interests folks of a certain type and irks others. To be honest, Ivanhoe (with help from the new developments) is the only part that feels "urban" to me - although Mills 50 has a lot of great businesses , it's just ruined by "50".  Colonial is such a wall of pedestrian unfriendly hatred that I can't get past it.  I fully support the new trend of townhomes around the area, because I think thats a perfect demographic mix.  Audubon has cool stuff, but beyond a couple small neighborhoods everyones gotta drive there, it feels more like a destination. And don't pretend the Baldwin Park people actually walk down Corrine.  

• Like 3

Bungalower notes the dirt lot fronting on Mills Ave is up for sale. When Mills Park was sold it was not included in the sale.

It's interesting to ponder how much more slapdash the entire process surrounding Mills Park was compared to SoDo. It's a situation made even worse by the fact that we still have a 2.5 acre dirt lot fronting the development after all this time in a booming economy. Tacky much?

http://bungalower.com/2018/05/09/that-dirt-lot-in-mills-park-is-for-sale/