Mills/50

camstrang

I think the thing to remember is that the heart of the Mills/50 intersection goes back to the ‘20’s and thus has a grittiness which its supporters have been keen on keeping. Of course, there have been lots of changes over the years but at least the core is intact. Anything east of Bumby is a different story.

OTOH, S. Orange Ave as we know it basically dates back to the causeway across Lake Lucerne from the ‘50’s.

As a result, the development was very different. If one thinks of the “olden days” at all, one conjures up the Zayre from the 1960’s. Development patterns have been different and have less of an “ancient” vibe.

Neither is better, just different. I think SoDo has done a great job with the unremarkable suburban landscape they had to work with.

Edited by spenser1058

I love Mills/50. There is so much diversity in the area, and I like how it is a little gritty and not  huge master planned developments.  There are a ton of little hole in the wall places and niche restaurants from different cultures that have interesting and a lot of times CHEAP good food, and stores you don't find in other areas like the big strip-malls.  It's an interesting place to explore.  Been wanting to try the Banh Mi place for a while and will be very happy when those old gas station lots are finally re-developed.   I think it is great that it still retains some quirky character. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Some pics of the new Starbucks under construction:

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/mills50-starbucks

From The Daily City 

So this makes 5 starbucks (if you want to count Target and Barnes and Nobles) within a mile of each other on Colonial but you have to drive all the way up to winter park village to find one on Mills. Something doesn’t compute. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leondecollao said:

So this makes 5 starbucks (if you want to count Target and Barnes and Nobles) within a mile of each other on Colonial but you have to drive all the way up to winter park village to find one on Mills. Something doesn’t compute. 

Isn’t it grand how splendidly the “invisible hand” of the marketplace works? It’s infallible! Oh, wait...

KFC is finally opening in Mills/50 this week! No, not the Colonel, Korean Fried Chicken. It sounds yummy (not to mention more interesting than the latest generic Starbucks around the block...)

https://bungalower.com/2019/12/16/mills-50-fried-chicken-restaurant-opening-this-week/

From Bungalower

(Once upon a time, Colonel Sanders DID have an outpost nearby. It was on Bumby in the Milk District where the Drunken Monkey is now - meanwhile, nowadays the traditional stuff is available at the Shine Publix - Where Cluck Is A Pleasure.)

11 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Thought they're closing the non-drive through colonial promenade location once the new one is open.    Logical.

That's consistent with the barista at that location complaining that they're required to do a reno every few years and that location was long overdue for one.  They probably figured no point in reno if they're moving.   Also being across the street from the Target and drive thru locations and next to B&N they probably knew they're saturated there.

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

That's consistent with the barista at that location complaining that they're required to do a reno every few years and that location was long overdue for one.  They probably figured no point in reno if they're moving.   Also being across the street from the Target and drive thru locations and next to B&N they probably knew they're saturated there.

Woohoo! codypet hits 1000 likes - Salute!

Edited by spenser1058

Upshot Cap bought the empty lot at Mills Park. No definite plans were revealed, but they say they will likely stay within the limits of what is permitted instead of trying to do more. They are entitled to roughly 180k feet of hotel and office. 2.5 acres for $3.8 mil.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mills-pak-upshot-capital-20191216-fi2wcpacbnchrmcl5d3tpaqxam-story.html

Also mentioned in the article is 2 years ago Upshot purchased the lot next to the Doubletree at 68 S Ivanhoe and the lot is now on market looking for a partner to develop. It is entitled to 200 units per acre and up to 33 stories.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Tori Tori Pub on Mills seems to be going for the hipster Yang Gang crowd. Scott J liked it a lot anyway:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/62-japanese/5030-tori-tori-pub

But has @dcluley98 stopped in yet?

I went this past Monday, and it was absolutely filled with power gays. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some more of the splendid road maintenance by Mayor For Life Buddy:

https://twitter.com/mrfranktorres/status/1218620165966966784?s=21

From Frank Torres 

I’m really looking forward to Mayor Pete campaigning in Florida before our primary because I want to ask if he ever considered that by saying it was “traffic calming”, he could have magically made his 8 years running South Bend much easier by declaring potholes a feature, not a bug!

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s been a month and a half now and Buddy’s crackerjack roads department has added a traffic cone to this “opportunity” at Shine Ave. and Colonial Dr.

But remember... here in Orlando, potholes are a feature not a bug!

https://twitter.com/mrfranktorres/status/1225912122703536129?s=21

Drain field issue of SR 50. That appears to be in Ms Sheehan's district and she should be accountable for working with the state to address any issues. Have you sent you're complaint to her office?

What is a "news spotter"?

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Drain field issue of SR 50. That appears to be in Ms Sheehan's district and she should be accountable for working with the state to address any issues. Have you sent you're complaint to her office?

What is a "news spotter"?

If this were the only issue, I would agree with you. But Orlando streets, once some of the best of any city as Dale has pointed out, are falling apart all over the core. But I know, nothing is ever Buddy’s fault because he’s practically perfect in every way. And in Orlando, potholes are a feature not a bug. 

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s been a month and a half now and Buddy’s crackerjack roads department has added a traffic cone to this “opportunity” at Shine Ave. and Colonial Dr.

But remember... here in Orlando, potholes are a feature not a bug!

https://twitter.com/mrfranktorres/status/1225912122703536129?s=21

I used to live on Shine Ave, actually very close to this intersection so I hope that makes it okay for me to comment (despite being a non-native and all). TBH, there has always been major a drainage issue in that area in addition to deteriorating asphalt-- pre-Buddy, mind you. That intersection has been redone and improved at least twice over the years during His reign. It's not a pothole, it's a storm drain located on the shoulder of the road and it is not located in the middle of a traffic lane nor in an area that would impede the flow of traffic. Obviously the powers that be are aware of the problem - I don't think any intelligent person would consider that a fix. The wheels of the city turn slowly... unfortunately. If you don't think Patty is capable of addressing the issue, maybe the Transportation Dept w/the city could give you a status update?

That random blogger seems to make mountains out of molehills. Last time he wanted the city to immediately beautify the "Under-i" construction zone on Church St just because he overheard someone make a snarky remark about the unpleasant ambiance.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I used to live on Shine Ave, actually very close to this intersection so I hope that makes it okay for me to comment (despite being a non-native and all). TBH, there has always been major a drainage issue in that area in addition to deteriorating asphalt-- pre-Buddy, mind you. That intersection has been redone and improved at least twice over the years during His reign. It's not a pothole, it's a storm drain located on the shoulder of the road and it is not located in the middle of a traffic lane nor in an area that would impede the flow of traffic. Obviously the powers that be are aware of the problem - I don't think any intelligent person would consider that a fix. The wheels of the city turn slowly... unfortunately. If you don't think Patty is capable of addressing the issue, maybe the Transportation Dept w/the city could give you a status update?

That random blogger seems to make mountains out of molehills. Last time he wanted the city to immediately beautify the "Under-i" construction zone on Church St just because he overheard someone make a snarky remark about the unpleasant ambiance.:rolleyes:

Oh, come on.

Everybody knows that before "Bulldozer Buddy" came along, everything in Orlando was the picture of perfection.

A veritable  Shangri-La of civic leadership and responsible management.

The crime rate was non-existent. Unemployment and homelessness was zero. Strangers would hold hands and sing "Everything is Beautiful" as they strolled along the sidewalks which were so clean, restaurants didn't even need tables or dishes, opting instead to just dump patrons' food directly onto the pristine concrete from which they'd eat directly off of.  

Why, it wasn't uncommon to see Mayor Bill Frederick personally supervising pothole repair crews or out scouting the city streets looking for new ones.

Yes my friend, it was a beautiful and wonderful time to live in Orlando, Florida, USA....  salute.gif

giphy.gif

:cry:

Before Buddy came along and destroyed everything!!! 

;)