Mills/50

camstrang

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Oh, come on.

Everybody knows that before "Bulldozer Buddy" came along, everything in Orlando was the picture of perfection.

A veritable  Shangri-La of civic leadership and responsible management.

The crime rate was non-existent. Unemployment and homelessness was zero. Strangers would hold hands and sing "Everything is Beautiful" as they strolled along the sidewalks which were so clean, restaurants didn't even need tables or dishes, opting instead to just dump patrons' food directly onto the pristine concrete from which they'd eat directly off of.  

Why, it wasn't uncommon to see Mayor Bill Frederick personally supervising pothole repair crews or out scouting the city streets looking for new ones.

Yes my friend, it was a beautiful and wonderful time to live in Orlando, Florida, USA....  salute.gif

giphy.gif

:cry:

Before Buddy came along and destroyed everything!!! 

;)

So I know this was facetious, but there were people living in the Milk District even last year that were complaining that they now had to lock their doors.  I lived in rural PA and we locked our doors.  Its insane to me to not lock your stuff.

8 hours ago, codypet said:

So I know this was facetious, but there were people living in the Milk District even last year that were complaining that they now had to lock their doors.  I lived in rural PA and we locked our doors.  Its insane to me to not lock your stuff.

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

I cannot imagine anyone feeling like they don't need to lock their doors.

I keep mine locked while I'm at home in the daytime!!!

Always have.

Some people are very naive I guess.

Ignorance is bliss... I used to leave the front door unlocked but after getting crime reports and hearing things on NextDoor I am very wary about leaving condo living (w/security staff) and going back to living in a house. This is why Winter Park has become more attractive to me even though I once thought they were a little too "sterile". They have their problems, but nowhere near the volume that we do according to the crime reports that I've seen.

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Ignorance is bliss... I used to leave the front door unlocked but after getting crime reports and hearing things on NextDoor I am very wary about leaving condo living (w/security staff) and going back to living in a house. This is why Winter Park has become more attractive to me even though I once thought they were a little too "sterile". They have their problems, but nowhere near the volume that we do according to the crime reports that I've seen.

Glad you found an alcove there.  There aren’t too many places immune to the NextDoor/Ring/friendly neighborhood Facebook group horror show.

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I lived in upstairs apartments with only one door for 15 years. I always felt safe leaving my windows open when I'd go out and at night when I slept.

When I bought my house with its ground floor windows, I became very paranoid.

Started keeping everything locked up tight when I went out and at night too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Glad you found an alcove there.  There aren’t too many places immune to the NextDoor/Ring/friendly neighborhood Facebook group horror show.

Oh I haven't left downtown. Can't afford WP and kinda kicking myself for buying downtown when I should have purchased in WP when prices were low. WP seemed stagnant and stuffy meanwhile there were a ton of development plans for downtown at the time (which is also how I found Urban Planet). Hindsight is always 20/20 especially when you get older.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:59 AM, codypet said:

Maybe its a cultural thing. I was staying with a Lebanese friend in Toronto and he was out running errands when I arrived.  He simply said "follow someone into the building. Condo #XXXX. Door's unlocked."  I texted our mutual (also Lebanese) friend living in New York, who didn't see the big deal, seeing as he never locks his door.

43 minutes ago, jack said:

Maybe it is a cultural thing. I am on nextdoor and always read the post about people's cars getting broken into. Then I get to the bottom of the post and it always says the doors were unlocked. Or, unlocked with a purse in the seat. Seriously!

I used to be on nextdoor  but left. While there I lectured so many people about locking their doors and not going inside with their garage doors wide open, after they'd whined about having their bikes and tools stolen, that I just got sick of it.

I will never cease to be amazed at the careless, lackadaisical attitudes with which so many people conduct their lives.

I just do not know what is wrong with these people.

• 2 weeks later...

I was sad to see this but not surprised:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-porter-paints-historic-sign-20200222-uflrlw5yfbgk7a4yxvxz2tt5le-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Iconic Porter Paints sign to be delisted from Orlando’s Landmark Sign registry.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was sad to see this but not surprised:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-porter-paints-historic-sign-20200222-uflrlw5yfbgk7a4yxvxz2tt5le-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Iconic Porter Paints sign to be delisted from Orlando’s Landmark Sign registry.

What a shame. According to Bungalower, "The sign is made of porcelain enamel faced metal panels and is the only known sign of its type in City limits."

1) I don't understand why PPG didn't reopen after the fire. It seemed like the vehicle fire only damaged the exterior wall and it didn't appear to be catastrophic damage.

2) I get the need for visibility, but I don't think Domino's should demolish, damage or permanently alter the sign. I am ok with them temporarily covering it up in a way that allows them to display their logo, but can be safely removed when another tenant takes over the lease. Or as a compromise, the city should allow the landlord to erect a monument sign facing Colonial that allows tenants to display the current business logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

What a shame. According to Bungalower, "The sign is made of porcelain enamel faced metal panels and is the only known sign of its type in City limits."

1) I don't understand why PPG didn't reopen after the fire. It seemed like the vehicle fire only damaged the exterior wall and it didn't appear to be catastrophic damage.

2) I get the need for visibility, but I don't think Domino's should demolish, damage or permanently alter the sign. I am ok with them temporarily covering it up in a way that allows them to display their logo, but can be safely removed when another tenant takes over the lease. Or as a compromise, the city should allow the landlord to erect a monument sign facing Colonial that allows tenants to display the current business logo.

Fire happened well after they moved out and the building was for lease, unless there was another one years ago I don't know about.

Orlando needs a serious re-do of the sign ordinances around here. Everything is so bland and you don't get much choice in the matter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Fire happened well after they moved out and the building was for lease, unless there was another one years ago I don't know about.

Orlando needs a serious re-do of the sign ordinances around here. Everything is so bland and you don't get much choice in the matter.

You're right, PPG's lease ended in 5/2018 according to loopnet... I bought paint from them the year before and didn't realize they had closed.

I totally agree w/the city needing to improve sign ordinances. It's so restrictive that it hinders business. Blade and monument signs aren't used enough downtown.

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

Well that's something.  Like the Bears on Mills.  Hopefully we'll see it again someday.

They had one or more of the bears on display at the History Center at one point. Have they cycled out? Time for a visit!

Is the bear mural still there at the old Bill Baer on Mills?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-0616-20190616-4wafx4oq3naf7oprgiqsgu74ha-story.html

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

Bill Baer on Mills also had a great neon sign on the roof at one point. It was a standing bear waving a conductor’s baton (in addition to TV’s - he dubbed himself "Mr. Color TV"- the store also sold record players, records and other audio equipment).

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J ponders the Freudian combo of cigars and donuts at Smoke & Donuts at Mills Park. 

He doesn’t get far with the psychoanalysis but finds some tasty sweet and savory going on:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/46-barbecue/5092-smoke-donuts

I ordered the sliders recently from Uber Eats, and they don't travel well.  Looking forward to trying them at the restaurant or off the truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

I ordered the sliders recently from Uber Eats, and they don't travel well.  Looking forward to trying them at the restaurant or off the truck. 

So, did they not slide down well enough?

Or did they slide down a little too well?....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2