Mills/50

camstrang

One thing that did change which marked up the price: there used to be two men’s locker rooms - one for us poor folks and the kids and the “Men’s Fitness Center” with all the bells and whistles. The former was about $20/month cheaper. Then they closed it down and now everyone has to do the pricey one.

Where was the second locker room within the building?

21 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Where was the second locker room within the building?

The current men’s locker room I think stayed put. The old one was along that same hallway. It also had an opening to the pool. I’m not sure what they did with it - they may have just expanded the fancy one. This was probably 30 or more years ago and it’s  hard to remember now. Maybe the kids still use it -I just know they took it away as an option one year when I got the dreaded letter telling me the rates were going up.

Another blast from the past - when I moved to Nashville in 1980 they didn’t have Nautilus yet (which I first learned to use at Valencia in 1979 -the Nautilus brand had its headquarters in Lake Helen at the time and was still new). When I moved back in 1984, they had gotten a small circuit of machines and they were in a glassed in room upstairs across from the offices (the back part where you enter now to work out wasn’t built yet).

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Downtown is $72/month because it requires the “All-Y” add on to use all the branches. Some Y’s don’t (Pine Hills didn’t) and it’s about $25/month less.

There’s also a senior membership that’s less (not sure how much) and being a nonprofit you can plead your case for a reduction.

Some things I like about the Y: first, it’s all about the community and hyperlocal. The Y isn’t the cheapest facility (downtown also has an indoor and an outdoor pool)but they make a point that no one will be turned away because of the cost. By the way, these fees also help to fund programs for kids, seniors and others, especially in underprivileged areas.

There’s also no contracts unlike some of the gyms in town. If you need to leave, you can. As codypet noted, you can also suspend your membership if necessary. Dues are usually just taken monthly from your checking account so no big upfront charges (there is a joiner’s fee but it’s usually possible to work around if you ask or just look for ads when they waive it).

I haven’t been to all the Central Florida Y’s but Downtown (on Mills) is well-maintained. Because it’s a family Y, there are lots of kids and seniors (many, like me, who have been going since we were kids). As a result, if you’re not the gym buff type you’ll easily fit in and the staff is as nice as can be.

OTOH, I was just reminded some folks like eye candy around when they work out. Rest assured, there’s plenty of good-looking folks. In short, you’ll find a pretty good sampling of all the downtown neighborhoods.

What is it for a family? I had membership a while back at the Nona location and paid $60 I recall. That was 15 years ago or more. 

When I lived downtown, I wanted to get a Y membership, but they closed so early that it wasn't worth it for me.  Combine that with the main reason I wanted to go to the Y rather than elsewhere was they had basketball, so I could get back into pick-up games (there's a ridiculous dearth of pick up basketball in this town), but most of the times I would be able to go, the courts were scheduled for programs.

I use the Downtown Y for weights and the pools. I wish there was a comparable option in the city that was less expensive, but it’s hard to find 2 pools, both heated, with lifeguards always on duty.

And [mention]spenser1058 [/mention] is correct ... there is that dreaded annual letter. What happened to loyalty discounts??? [emoji6]

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

When I lived downtown, I wanted to get a Y membership, but they closed so early that it wasn't worth it for me.  Combine that with the main reason I wanted to go to the Y rather than elsewhere was they had basketball, so I could get back into pick-up games (there's a ridiculous dearth of pick up basketball in this town), but most of the times I would be able to go, the courts were scheduled for programs.

I'm sure you looked at 24hr Fitness since its right in your neighborhood. Full court, pool, less than $50/mo

Despite all of the additions over the years, the Downtown Y has been perpetually at capacity as the only Y in the core.

With the addition of the new facility in the Packing District, that problem may finally be addressed.

There have also been thoughts of a facility in Downtown proper, but that may have slipped off the front page with the new College Park location. If it does come to pass, my guess it will be just a workout facility for the downtown crowd without a pool or much in the way of a full gym given the cost of real estate.

As far as basketball goes, the City may open up some new options later in the evening once UnderI comes online.

Edited by spenser1058

As we're on the subject of YMCA's, many many long years ago, a couple of friends and I took a budget trip to NYC via Amtrak and stayed in the Vanderbuilt YMCA on E. 47TH St, near the UN.

It was pretty cool. Aside from having a decent, affordable cafeteria and exercise facilities that we did not make use of (who needs to work out at that age?) it was also utilized as a youth hostel and a co-ed dormitory for students at Columbia U.

Fun atmosphere back then.

Kids partying, running in and out of each others rooms all night, hanging out in the halls, sitting in groups on the floor, playing guitars, etc

Beautiful old building, too.

vanderbiltymca.jpg

28943131.jpg

Now THAT's a YMCA.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Once upon a time, Y’s weren’t just primarily gyms. Some, like the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan, do classes, talks and the like.

https://www.92y.org/events

Dale Carnegie got his start teaching public speaking at the Y.

Al Gore’s mom got her law degree from the YMCA Night Law School in Nashville (I was a member of the fitness center in the same building when I lived there).

I think our Y had rooms at some of the old locations like what is now the Eo Inn and a previous one on Pine St., but not positive.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

If you look closely at the facade of the Vanderbilt Y in the pics I posted, you'll see "RAILROAD BRANCH" engraved in the limestone above the entrance.

The reason for that is, back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many of the YMCA's in NYC and elsewhere, were built to accommodate railroad workers.

The one I stayed at on E. 47th St was renamed The Vanderbilt YMCA in honor of Cornelius Vanderbilt who played a major role in it's history.

http://wikimapia.org/1360610/Vanderbilt-YMCA

• Like 2

Just now, JFW657 said:

If you look closely at the facade of the Vanderbilt Y in the pics I posted, you'll see "RAILROAD BRANCH" engraved in the limestone above the entrance.

The reason for that is, back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many of the YMCA's in NYC and elsewhere, were built to accommodate railroad workers.

The one I stayed at on E. 47th St was renamed The Vanderbilt YMCA in honor of Cornelius Vanderbilt who played a major role in it's history.

http://wikimapia.org/1360610/Vanderbilt-YMCA

GO ‘DORES!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I get so confused. Tako  Cheena (not to be confused with Tacko Fall, who may or may not be in Boston during the quarantine), moved from 932 to 948 Mills. Now, they’re opening Pop’s Pizzeria back at 932. Sane owners, different cuisine:

https://bungalower.com/2020/04/28/tako-cheena-opened-a-pizza-restaurant-in-their-old-space/

From Bungalower  

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I get so confused. Tako  Cheena (not to be confused with Tacko Fall, who may or may not be in Boston during the quarantine), moved from 932 to 948 Mills. Now, they’re opening Pop’s Pizzeria back at 932. Sane owners, different cuisine:

https://bungalower.com/2020/04/28/tako-cheena-opened-a-pizza-restaurant-in-their-old-space/

From Bungalower  

Owner sanity is one of the main things I look for in a pizza place.

That way you don't end up with stuff like this....

8a8d0849530f94071bd917a5c7d03d54.jpg

D6kITZNUEAA9Mc0.jpg

momho.png

:shok:

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

EHHHHHHHH... The jury is still out on this one.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I’m not thrilled about yet another Starbucks (“It’s a duel to the death between Starbucks, 7-Elevens and Dunkins here in Orlando - who can survive?”) but the corner of Ferncreek and Colonial is looking much tidier.

Meanwhile, the Concord Place townhomes just south of Colonial on Ferncreek are almost done (dang, those happened quickly). 

• 2 weeks later...

The Snap!Orlando gallery in the restored Cameo Theater space is closing:

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/28/1693407/

From Bungalower 

Interesting switch: the 420 E. Church South Eola location will remain. Usually downtown spots leave for the lower rents further out. Instead, they’re holding on to what is quickly becoming downtown’s densest retail cluster.

• 2 weeks later...

I went by the Domino’s in the former Porter Paints store. The “tower” has the red brick (vinyl?) covering both inside and out and the Domino’s logo (just the domino) extends outward from the tower. The Domino’s lettering is just on the side, which is all they need for such a small space.

The redo came out wonderfully and kept the unique nature of the inside/outside tower.

Why some yahoo at Pittsburgh just moaned and groaned when such a simple solution was at hand escapes me.