Mills/50

camstrang

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Mills/50 bars temporarily closed after guest tested positive for COVID-19:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5277-mills-50-bars-closed-after-patron-tests-positive

From Scott J

14 hours ago, bqknight said:

Lazy Moon was also closed today on Colonial due to someone testing positive at their University location. 

Other restaurant/ bars in the area temporarily closing... The Strand, Guesthouse, Red Light. 

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

While I’m dubious about the success for any restaurant opening during a pandemic, I don’t think losing one of the several used car lots in this district is a bad thing. Too bad they can’t repurpose the existing building, tho.

I was checking that out on Maps yesterday.

Looks like it may have been some kind of burger joint or something at one time.

Has kind of a cool retro look to it.

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I was checking that out on Maps yesterday.

Looks like it may have been some kind of burger joint or something at one time.

Has kind of a cool retro look to it.

I'm curious what's gonna happen to Ho's garage.  The old Gulf station next to Pop Thai.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, elefants said:

Absolutely nothing could be worse than the CVS at that intersection.   Total embarrassment that was approved on that corner.

True, but those places are pretty generic to every town they operate in, so it's not really a reflection on Orlando per se,

BTW, when it was first built, back in the 80's, it was an Eckerd Drugs store.

The main entrance was right on the corner of Mills and Colonial where it has since been walled up.

I remember buying an "Ironman Triathlon" sports watch there in the late 80's/early 90's.

Still have it.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:47 PM, JFW657 said:

True, but those places are pretty generic to every town they operate in, so it's not really a reflection on Orlando per se,

BTW, when it was first built, back in the 80's, it was an Eckerd Drugs store.

The main entrance was right on the corner of Mills and Colonial where it has since been walled up.

I remember buying an "Ironman Triathlon" sports watch there in the late 80's/early 90's.

Still have it.

It, along with the very odd 7-Eleven at Magnolia and Colonial, were the first tests of the city requiring placement of businesses up to the sidewalk and windows to make it more interesting than a blank wall to passersby or an ocean of cars and asphalt between pedestrians and the store.

The retailers pushed back that anyone would dare upset their suburban models and it took a while for the powers that be under the Dome to figure out they could insist upon it.

The later 7-Elevens like the one at Fern Creek and Colonial were what was envisioned. By then,  the owner of the parent Southland Corp., had been sold to the Japanese, who were a bit more tolerant about urban scale than the Texans who founded the company.

The battle over CVS almost exploded when they wanted to tear down the Kazarian (“you know the number”) building across the street as well as the historic buildings on either side.

A near disaster to the “Little Saigon” (now Mills/50) District was avoided when JCPenney opted to sell Eckerd and CVS ended up with the monstrosity across the street.

A similar skirmish took place at the Colonialtown Publix with the sidewalk windows looking into a blank break room area. The later Publix at The Paramount allows its windows to look directly into the store which makes the big box much less claustrophobic than usual. A big tip of the hat to former store manager Paul Bracker (he worked on the design for the new store while managing Shine and then moved when it opened) for doing that.

Edited by spenser1058