Mills/50

camstrang

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Woolworth’s Luncheonette had real coffee cups and Coke glasses and folks who called you “hon”...

For some reason memory flashbacks have me seeing this:

e7eec19ff294bdca5b217a02af44a685.jpg

I think grandparents might have been involved. Same company I think..and a small town somewhere off the map (but that's just me).

Oh well. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

For those less than thrilled by the new Starbucks, you get a do-over on Mills:

https://bungalower.com/2020/09/30/new-coffee-shop-opening-mills-50-plaza/

From Bungalower 

As for me, a Diet Dr Pepper Big Gulp from the Colonial and Ferncreek 7-Eleven will be just fine. Oh Thank Heaven! 

Edited by spenser1058

It appears there is more in play along the N. Mills Ave. strip than first indicated:

A local saloon-owning company has been buying up buildings between 924-1030 N. Mills under various names.

Additionally, the building housing Lamp Shade Fair (1334) was also noted as available with the impending retirement of its proprietor.

Lynn’s Barber Shop (next to Track Shack) is also now closed. No word yet on its disposition.

In any event, it appears significant changes may be on the way to several blocks that date back to the 1950’s (interestingly, Wiki notes the Andrews Causeway across nearby Lake Estelle was built back in 1935 but not dedicated until 1949 by President Truman, just in time for most of the structures noted above to come online a year or two later).

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/07/mills-50-building-sells.html

From OBJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrews_Causeway

From Wikipedia 

UPDATE: Add 912 N Mills to the list (albeit a different owner so far):

https://bungalower.com/2020/10/06/bites-and-bubbles-building-for-sale-concept-looking-for-new-home/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...

Longtime eatery Chan’s Chinese Cuisine (it dates back to 1996 and before that it was a Shells and started out as a Western Sizzlin’ in the ‘60’s) across from the Dollar Tree on E. Colonial Drive has been sold. Apparently, it will become a beauty school:

https://bungalower.com/2020/11/16/chans-chinese-cuisine-sells-to-new-owners/

From Bungalower 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J makes a return visit to The Strand:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5478-the-strand-2

I would say it is the best food in the City, at least in its category. If you were a fan of K or Rusty Spoon this should be your replacement. The small digs are more than made up for by the quality dishes.

I thought it was funny Scott J mentioned a "lone father and his 2 young children" as the only customers, but he didn't mention he was there at 5:00 on a Tuesday, hardly the height of dining hour... and btw, the fries are addictive.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This seems to have flown under the radar on the forum due to the holidays (apologies if this is a repost).

According to this article, the Bento founders will be constructing a new building on the empty lot next to Dollar Tree on Colonial at Hampton. (Does this mean the Kobe rumors will finally die?!) It’ll house Bento’s corporate offices, a multi-function kitchen for events, and a food hall with eight-ish stalls. Targeted to open at the end of 2021.

What of their office space on Church Street - are they still in that location and, if so, I guess they’ll be leaving ... ?

And not Mills/50-related: they’ve also taken the ghost kitchen space at Conway & Curry Ford that was originally built-out by Bloomin’ Brands (Outback, Carrabba’s, etc.) Collab Kitchens is already up and running and can be ordered via the various meal delivery apps under the Bento & Lucky Dragon (Chinese) brands. Sonny Nguyen (Domu, Tori Tori) is also operating Domu Wings out of Collab Kitchens, as is Uncle Sung Chicken & Rice by Ray Sungadi.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-bento-group-food-halls-20201222-2z6nm2vz3nak5nbefjw2ixrju4-story.html

I must have missed the thing about Bento building a new facility there previously. I will for sure look forward to the food hall and I love their focus on helping up and coming local chefs get started!

Re: Kobe - it’s totally possible. I feel like I’ve seen that sign move so many times over the years I’ve half forgotten, half lost interest.

5 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Re: Kobe - it’s totally possible. I feel like I’ve seen that sign move so many times over the years I’ve half forgotten, half lost interest.

Yes in the early 00's it was at a site that later became Office Depot.  Then the Bento Site, then the cafeteria/Chevron.  Latest Rumor had a Racetrac or Wawa at that site then an apt complex or townhomes

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

We have been talking about Bento for over a year.  They will have a test kitchen for their entire corporate operation to try out new menus and have local chefs.  It is really a pretty cool concept and the owners of Bento are doing good things bringing the business together with downtown Orlando growth. They have been demoing the parking lot on site for a long time. Have yet to see it start vertical when I drive by on Colonial. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Demolition of the longtime 7-Eleven/laundromat on N.Mills Ave will likely begin soon.

So far, although the owner is proposing improvements to the lot and an adjoining space on Woodward Ave., no tenants have been announced:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/01/21/mills-50-new-retail-restaurant-construction.html?ana=maz

From OBJ

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Growing Up In Orlando Before Disney Facebook group....

"Saw they're finally tearing down the building at Mills Ave & Colonial Dr that housed 7-11 for years. The first one I remember as a kid, may have been one of the first ones in Orlando...back when they really were only open 7 to11."

168694025_10219082175913623_499976034437

Must've just started today because I drove past yesterday and nothing had been started yet.

I seem to recall the one that was on W. Colonial just east of Pine Hills Rd. being older, but that may be just because it didn’t get rehabbed with the brick facade/windows/with the glass doors before they gave it up, keeping the old garage door and neon sign (instead of plastic) on the side of the roof ‘til the end.

Looks like their typical 80's design.  Similar to Summerlin and the old Bumby Mart next to Whiskey Lous

image.thumb.png.e7b272fd082422191e09276d92480190.png

There's an older style brick one are still around Orlando.  This one at Old Cheney and 436 that's still standing next to a currently operating one.  Also one on NY Ave just north of Morse in WP

image.thumb.png.bb4bfeea0a5341f1e94ee686c53b425c.png

There's another design that I believe predates both of these and they're dotted along SR 50 out in the Bithlo area but I've had a hard time getting info if they're early 7-11 or early circle k designs.  East Colonial between 436 and Forsyth has a bunch of design relics of 50s/60's/70's era gas stations.

• Like 1

There was also this one....

7elevenwestmorl.jpg

Just off of Colonial on Westmoreland.

In 1978, before I ever moved to Orlando, I worked at the Pizza Hut on Merritt Island.  A few of us "cooks" were dating a few of the waitresses. One of the guys borrowed his dad's van and a bunch of us drove over here to go to Rosie's.

I remember the "steep" admission price of $2.50 a person!!!!

I think those "Hurricane" drinks were about $2 bucks apiece too.

Big money back in those days of .30¢ a gallon gas.

Anyway, we had a bit of difficulty finding the place and missed the turn from Colonial onto Hughey Ave.

Stopped in at this 7 Eleven and Larry went inside and got directions, 

• Like 1

Welp I went down the rabbit hole and confirmed my suspicions.   The top photo is the style of building I had been seeing.  The main difference between this and the Summerlin or Mills 50 buildings is the vertical wall on the right.  

More information about 7-11 than you ever wanted to know.

Sorry to derail this thread, but corporate architecture fascinates me.  Particularly in the gas and grocery arena through the 50s-80s.  (We've had that conversation before)

• Like 1