Mills/50

camstrang

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Pig Floyd’s and Stasio’s are getting together to do pizza by the Track Shack. Best of all, this looks like a great redo of an old Shell station:

https://bungalower.com/2021/05/12/pig-floyds-opening-pizza-restaurant-by-wills-pub/

From Bungalower 

This is how I end up being 500 lbs.

Sidenote:  I love the pig shaped bushes.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Interesting infill project proposed for Park Lake area adjoining Faith Arts Village:

https://bungalower.com/2021/05/17/new-missing-middle-apartment-project-coming-to-park-lake-highland/

From Bungalower 

These would be great.  Close enough to bike or take a quick bus downtown, but far enough away to be affordable.  I'd love to see some condos like this if they can keep the costs down.   I'd happily forgo a gym and a pool if it meant I could be close-ish to downtown while staying under budget.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Whatever they’re building where the old Coastal/Shell stations were at Hyer and Colonial is coming right along. Good to see something there after all these years of decrepitude.

There are two lots there. Are you saying the lot at 50 and Hyer has construction but not 50 and Thornton? I was under the impression they were building a large apartment complex on both lots but could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

There are two lots there. Are you saying the lot at 50 and Hyer has construction but not 50 and Thornton? I was under the impression they were building a large apartment complex on both lots but could be wrong.

Nope, I think it covers both lots. There were two gas stations side by side at one point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uncommon said:

What apartment complex are they building there? Interesting spot for one, wouldn't think it was big enough.

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

What apartment complex are they building there? Interesting spot for one, wouldn't think it was big enough.

I might have my lots switched up. A Dallas-based developer is building a 5 story apartment near Mills 50. Alan Trammell I think is his name. It’s also 2 vacant back to back lots, but it might be 50 and Ferncreek.

30 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I might have my lots switched up. A Dallas-based developer is building a 5 story apartment near Mills 50. Alan Trammell I think is his name. It’s also 2 vacant back to back lots, but it might be 50 and Ferncreek.

That’s on the opposite side a couple of blocks east, I believe.

Progress continues on Zebra Coalition’s renovation to a portion of Park Lake Prebyterian’s FAVO at the former Davis Park Motel.

Bottom line: these are good people doing incredible work. May it continue with much success.

LGBTQ+ Youth Organization Plans to Renovate Old Motel into Housing Building
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-lgbt-center-expands-housing-20210525-lsbup6mlwnhjrjirnbu5jip3ky-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 2

Let’s just get this out of the way - I loathe the idea of bananas or pineapples on pizza almost as much as George Will hates Levi’s. And IPAs are almost as bad. 

Other than that, Perla’s Pizza next to the Thirsty Topher looks like their pizzas might not be bad.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/67-pizza/5672-perla-s-pizza

From Scott J
Edited by spenser1058

Looks like the Fern Creek and 50 development is moving forward. 

From OBJ - https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/02/developer-trammell-crow-moves-closer-to-building-h.html?ana=e_orl_bn_breakingnews_breakingnews&fbclid=IwAR0EL9RZ1-NSoCWONMY8h0XPxrzL3Vovw0N7952n_2HucePlwkcngGl68xo

A Dallas-based developer is closer to the construction of a five-story apartment complex in the Mills 50 district near downtown Orlando.

Construction permits are being sought for the 245-unit apartment building planned by developer Trammell Crow Residential Co. It is a sign the high-end apartments, outfitted with a pool and dog park, are close to breaking ground.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The day the cornbread died:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2005-08-14-cafeteria14-story,amp.html

From The Sentinel

And, 16 years later, there’s STILL no Kobe 

I preferred the one in Fashion Square. But the one in Daytona at the Volusia Square Mall had the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten. And I’m from Alabama, so I’m an authority on fried chicken. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLClarkKent said:

I preferred the one in Fashion Square. But the one in Daytona at the Volusia Square Mall had the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten. And I’m from Alabama, so I’m an authority on fried chicken. 

I was partial to Morrison’s before its demise (speaking of Alabama, it was from Mobile) and still miss the downtown Morrison’s on W. Central with its funky zodiac decor. There was definitely a Coke & Pepsi-type rivalry between the two in their heyday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Speaking of:

Drove by Mills Park today and saw them putting up construction fencing around the empty Upshot lot.  

Banners are being put up right now for what looks like a six or so story building called “upshot medical center”.  Was not able to grab a pic driving by.....

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...