Mills/50

camstrang

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, someone spent way too much time reading Beowulf…

Well, that is not a new, modern day hipster hybrid word concoction.

According to Webster's online, the first known use of the word was in 1978 . 

That's not ancient, but I believe it was started in the Cornwall region of Southern England. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, that is not a new, modern day hipster hybrid word concoction.

According to Webster's online, the first known use of the word was in 1978 . 

That's not ancient, but I believe it was started in the Cornwall region of Southern England. 

The idea of fermented honey doesn’t really do it for me but, hey, this was the drink of my ancient tribe, so maybe I should try it. Otoh, given we’ve been here in the South since 1780, maybe I’ll just stick with Maker’s Mark. 

41 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

@spenser1058 @JFW657 y'all are aware this is a pretty standard product now, right? Tampa has a few, as does Miami. Even backwoods Jax has one. The 1st in this area was in Sanford nearly 5 years ago. Nothing hipster about it- just a place that makes a product that goes back about 10,000 years.

Yep. I knew that.  :thumbsup: 

But I wasn't talking about the beverage, I was talking about the word "meadery".

Has a kind of trendy, hipster sound to it.  

Basically the same as brewery... the "ery" just signifies that's where said concoction is made.  A good mead is one of my favorite alcoholic beverages.  The problem is there's very few good ones.  They tend to go too sour or cider crossover at times imo.

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

Basically the same as brewery... the "ery" just signifies that's where said concoction is made.  A good mead is one of my favorite alcoholic beverages.  The problem is there's very few good ones.  They tend to go too sour or cider crossover at times imo.

Can you bring your own flagon to these places?

Do the waitresses allow you to address them as "wench"?  

"A flagon of meade, wench!!!!"  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 12:36 AM, nite owℓ said:

The old 7-Eleven site at Mills 50.  She gone... Looks like there's some activity on the site and dirt being moved around finally. What are the redevelopment plans again?

20220414_175436.thumb.jpg.09094f423a220ce40bf57f8243818bb4.jpg

20220414_175557.thumb.jpg.9c32a21b51cd1857d35d4485d89731ec.jpg

There is a master plan for the entire block- posted a while back in Bungalower and Daily City.

https://bungalower.com/2020/07/06/ask-bungalower-whats-happening-to-this-mills-50-7-eleven/

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/mills50-retail-spaces

https://orlando.novusagenda.com/AgendaWeb/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=96244&ItemID=52729

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Instead of adding a visor, they inverted the roof. Can we stand this sudden burst of creativity?

Or just put a protruding V-shaped feature on the parapet to look like an inverted roofline.

Still, better looking than most of the crapitecture we usually see around here.

Hope it gets built.

As shown.  

• Like 1