Mills/50

camstrang

32 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

A nice look back at Mills 50/ ViMi District done by the Community Paper. A great photo of the original Track Shack, mention of the many gay bars that dotted the road, a look into the future and a shout out to District Director Joanne Grant.

https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/the-metamorphosis-of-mills-50/

The Track Shack actually looked like a shack. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://orlando.novusagenda.com/AgendaWeb/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=116582&ItemID=60311

Master Plan approval for Modera Baldwin Park, a 400-home, eight-story multifamily rental community with structured parking and related amenities at 740 Bennet Road and 3901 E Colonial Drive, Orlando, FL. The Proposed Community will replace the existing Gilt Nightclub and an adjacent flex-office /retail building.
image.thumb.png.51a12bc153f41d21acc763ad09a875dc.png image.thumb.png.5655ec2953bb67de868085e70dda52fc.png

1317162837_PagesfromStaff_Rpt_MPL2022-10025__Modera_Baldwin_Park_N_Addendum(1)_Page_3.thumb.png.83769dd8c27c963489d8d1e20d03cf06.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided since we’re unlikely to get significant retail downtown until Thomas Chatmon retires and we celebrate Buddy’s Diamond Jubilee, that I’d like them to turn the old Schwinn Cyclery on Mills back into a bike store. If it could be a Trek Dealer, that would be perfect!

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ve decided since we’re unlikely to get significant retail downtown until Thomas Chatmon retires and we celebrate Buddy’s Diamond Jubilee, that I’d like them to turn the old Schwinn Cyclery on Mills back into a bike store. If it could be a Trek Dealer, that would be perfect!

They should turn it into a hobby store.

Maybe sell photography stuff, too.

I think something like that could work in that location. 

• Haha 1

Alexan Mills 50 is starting construction on the side fronting Colonial.  It is completely stick-built.  Wouldn't want to live in those, but the streetwall fronting Colonial will be nice to see once complete. It is very close to the lanes and will complete a big change for the corner of Fern Creek with the brownfield site finally gone and Starbucks across the corner.  (Now we just need to get rid of the brownfield at Thornton (old Coastal Station) across the street from the Cameo Theater and the taller building Lazy Moon/Lineage are in.  Would be really cool to have a mid rise go on that lot across from the other taller building! 

20220803_172037.thumb.jpg.1c4ca9dd1fbf3d01195490c8a56e4fe0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That must be the old IBM/Cruises Only building. Yep, I’m old.

Yep. That is fascinating. As a transplant, I never knew it was the "Cruises Only" building, but that makes the doors/windows and railing make so much more sense!  Fashioned to look like a cruise ship deck/railing.  I never knew why that was there. 

20151113_144817.thumb.jpg.95dec0a7d4a810cf861e3d97b2b7ebf2.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yep. That is fascinating. As a transplant, I never knew it was the "Cruises Only" building, but that makes the doors/windows and railing make so much more sense!  Fashioned to look like a cruise ship deck/railing.  I never knew why that was there. 

20151113_144817.thumb.jpg.95dec0a7d4a810cf861e3d97b2b7ebf2.jpg

Oh, that was only after they toned it down. Originally, they had a big plastic side of a cruise ship attached to the west side of the building. I always wondered how that got approved.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, spenser1058 said:

Originally, they had a big plastic side of a cruise ship attached to the west side of the building.

Oh man, how do I not remember that? I do remember awful colors - red and yellow maybe? 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, spenser1058 said:

That must be the old IBM/Cruises Only building. Yep, I’m old.

(For the record, I'm not that old yet, haha, but I was often along for the ride picking up my sister from Lake Highland as a kid...)

• Like 2