Mills/50

camstrang

3 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

Oh man, how do I not remember that? I do remember awful colors - red and yellow maybe? 

(For the record, I'm not that old yet, haha, but I was often along for the ride picking up my sister from Lake Highland as a kid...)

Yes, rather bright primary colors and I believe the ship’s hull was white.

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Anybody got a picture? 

I did not live here then, would be intresting to see the historic photos. 

I searched for a picture of it, but found nothing.

I have a vague to fair memory of it, having driven past it countless times and glanced at it, but never having closely studied it.

I may be wrong, but to the best of my recollection it was in the STYLE of the two illustrations below.

Sort of art deco or moderne.

Anyway, as I recall it was the bow of a large cruise ship, as seen from a low angle near the waterline...

luxury-white-cruise-ship-shot-from-extre  depositphotos-46239371-stock-illustratio

West side of the building. 

Don't recall the color. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, spenser1058 said:

I still call it Colonialtown (or Homonialtown, as Billy Manes called it in the days when the Shine Publix was particularly cruisy for a bit ;-).

...do you have to be non-straight to use that term and still be PC?  Absolutely brilliant,  btw

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, codypet said:

Yea unless grittiness is one of the criteria its pretty flawed.

Other than some parts of Parramore, Colonialtown is the oldest business district in the city outside of downtown. Of course some parts of it are grittier than others.

The Vietnamese small businesses have also fought diligently to keep their storefronts along Mills and Colonial from being bulldozed by some uncaring developer he**bent on building yet another sterile big box (see Eckerd/CVS). It’s arguably the most unique of our Main Streets. I, for one, am grateful.

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Other than some parts of Parramore, Colonialtown is the oldest business district in the city outside of downtown. Of course some parts of it are grittier than others.

The Vietnamese small businesses have also fought diligently to keep their storefronts along Mills and Colonial from being bulldozed by some uncaring developer he**bent on building yet another sterile big box (see Eckerd/CVS). It’s arguably the most unique of our Main Streets. I, for one, am grateful.

I remember the CVS protests.  Basically CVS won out by straight up buying Eckerd.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I avoid E. Colonial whenever possible so I may be late on this but the iFresh Supermarket in the old Coytown Winn-Dixie seems to have closed.

How?  That place is always swamped!

I really wish ACE had taken it over like they wanted to.   Poor ACE has annexed every storefront between the hallway to the 2nd floor and the end of the building and they still want more space.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

How?  That place is always swamped!

I really wish ACE had taken it over like they wanted to.   Poor ACE has annexed every storefront between the hallway to the 2nd floor and the end of the building and they still want more space.

Maybe it’s just leftovers from Ian. The sign near the road is blank (not see through as if wind blew the sign off but just blank white) and the windows in the doors were covered with white paper.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, spenser1058 said:

Maybe it’s just leftovers from Ian. The sign near the road is blank (not see through as if wind blew the sign off but just blank white) and the windows in the doors were covered with white paper.

I went in on Friday. Very much not closed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...