Mills/50

camstrang

Not really. Once it is complete, it will improve the area drastically. But if it will be torn down in 10 yrs, might as well add Uptown Place, The Grande, Park North, Post Parkside and the Metropolitan to the list. I believe they all are the same type of construction. Then we can replace it with $800 a foot condo highrises.

Not really. Once it is complete, it will improve the area drastically. But if it will be torn down in 10 yrs, might as well add Uptown Place, The Grande, Park North, Post Parkside and the Metropolitan to the list. I believe they all are the same type of construction. Then we can replace it with $800 a foot condo highrises.

Hey! Metropolitan is all concrete, brick, and steel. I lived in cheney place now Park North and I remember it was concrete too. It is really weird driving down Orange and seeing Camdens balconies be all wood without any lower support.

Hey! Metropolitan is all concrete, brick, and steel. I lived in cheney place now Park North and I remember it was concrete too. It is really weird driving down Orange and seeing Camdens balconies be all wood without any lower support.

They can walk out on their balconies and there will be a sticker on the railing that tells them there is a weight limit like they have on ladders. :rofl:

BBArch finally proved that you can, in fact, make "crowns" out of wood.

As an aside, Camden is to code. Grant it, it's a bit strange seeing something being built downtown out of wood, but they are apartments, period. Nobody in their right mind is going to use block masonry when plywood gets the job done. Like Jack mentioned, with the going price for concrete where it is, building a three story apartment building out of anything other than wood is out of the window. As long as the shear walls are poured in place, I don't see the problem.

Bottom line: profit margins in construction are shrinking, across the board. Petroleum and copper costs are prohibitive. We as an industry can't balance out these major indifferences and are fighting against ourselves for a dollar. There is a bigger issue at stake here than an apartment complex being constructed out of wood.

I don't know. I first thought that this was too low scale of a project for the area. But after rethinking it, the area is not that great of a location. Yeah it has potential, but potential does not mean squat. They could have built a nice 10-20 tower on a smaller lot and charged twice the rents to achieve the same yield. But then they would have an half empty building because no one wants to pay 1500 for a 1 bedroom when the can go to post parkside for a better location and cheaper rents (not much though). Or they could have condoed it which makes more sense financially. But they would have ended up like the other 20 projects that could not come out of the ground because the price to build does not match up to what people can pay.

I don't know. I first thought that this was too low scale of a project for the area. But after rethinking it, the area is not that great of a location. Yeah it has potential, but potential does not mean squat. They could have built a nice 10-20 tower on a smaller lot and charged twice the rents to achieve the same yield. But then they would have an half empty building because no one wants to pay 1500 for a 1 bedroom when the can go to post parkside for a better location and cheaper rents (not much though). Or they could have condoed it which makes more sense financially. But they would have ended up like the other 20 projects that could not come out of the ground because the price to build does not match up to what people can pay.

Good points. It will be interesting to see what rent goes for at these new Camden apts.

Here Here!

Hey didn't you tell us to stay on topic somewhere else?

Anyway, the structure/facade of the Camden is super cheap looking. Yeah it works, and the price of lumber has come down some, but still it looks scary to live in, esp. during hurricane season.

I wish they would build structures to last longer than 20 years tops. Seems like a waste of resources.

Hey didn't you tell us to stay on topic somewhere else?

Anyway, the structure/facade of the Camden is super cheap looking. Yeah it works, and the price of lumber has come down some, but still it looks scary to live in, esp. during hurricane season.

I wish they would build structures to last longer than 20 years tops. Seems like a waste of resources.

While I agree about a more sturdy structure is better for hurricanes and think for safety that's the way to go ... but the idea that these will only last 20 years tops is not accurate at all. Most of the apartments that line roads like 436 were built the same way about 35 years ago and most are going strong. Many are even just now being converted to condos. Most of the the little bungalows in College Park and elsewhere in the city and now going for 350K+ were built in the early 50's and are wood frame.

While I agree about a more sturdy structure is better for hurricanes and think for safety that's the way to go ... but the idea that these will only last 20 years tops is not accurate at all. Most of the apartments that line roads like 436 were built the same way about 35 years ago and most are going strong. Many are even just now being converted to condos. Most of the the little bungalows in College Park and elsewhere in the city and now going for 350K+ were built in the early 50's and are wood frame.

This is getting really tiring, coming for news about Mills/Nebraska and seeing only belly aching about Camden. Does this site have any discipline? Start a Camden topic if that's the subject.

This is getting really tiring, coming for news about Mills/Nebraska and seeing only belly aching about Camden. Does this site have any discipline? Start a Camden topic if that's the subject.

I think ZOM will have a tough time in this market selling 400+ units being "stick built". I love the location but think they should go rental especially with sooo many units.

The problem with these older "stick" built condos is termites. Almost all of these older complexes have had massive assessments to address termite damages. That will be the case for these new complexes also.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone attend the Colonialtown Neighborhood Assn. meeting to hear Pelloni's presentation last week? I am eager for more details. A friend who was there told me he was discussing a market of some sort (Fresh Market? just speculating here); as well as some sort of possible partnership with the Orlando Museum of Art (subsidized gallery space within the development).

Also, Pelloni is talking with the guy who owns Beacon about placing a high end, Hue type of restaurant there. My friend couldn't stay for the whole meeting so he only heard part of it. I would love more info but I can't find anything specific on Pelloni's web site.

Sounds to me like you should be visiting a good, stern dominatrix rather than an urban discussion forum.