Christmas in the South... Any pics?

LJinPA

How do the cities in the Southeast decorate for Christmas, I'm especially curious to see some of the newer cities like Charlotte, Raleigh... I rode through Charlotte on New Years a in 1997 but it was too late at night to see any lights though I did see flowers, I think pansies in bloom. When I got to Atlanta it was the 2 of Jan and I don't remember any lights offhand except for 1 skyscraper. I know NC has that one Christmas town also.

Winston-Salem would have me curious since Bethlehem, PA, Winston's moravian sister city seems to decorate heavily.

Charleston and Savannah may be interesting, would they put X-mas lights on Palmettos?

Does the warmer climate make for different traditions?

Do the Southern evangelical churches have Midnight services like the Catholics do?

What is Christmas dinner like?

Pics would be cool esp of the downtowns on Christmas...

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember driving through Nashville at night during Christmas and seeing some buildings with the windows lit up in such a pattern to form words like "Peace on Earth". Any pics of that?

You are probably talking about the Tennessee Tower. The state stopped that about four or five years ago.

Is this the building in question?? Sorry about the size of the pic.

tntower.jpg

You are probably talking about the Tennessee Tower. The state stopped that about four or five years ago.

Is this the building in question?? Sorry about the size of the pic.

tntower.jpg

That looks like the building. I wonder why they stopped it. Not PC enough? I am so weary of all this politcally correct nonsense. Even the stores have watered down Christmas with "Happy Holidays" under the guise of being all inclusive. Well that may be but I went to Lowe's and they admitted changing the name of their trees to "Holiday Trees" instead of Christmas trees. What nonsense. I'm not offended by someone saying Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa but I think the PC crowd is just knee jerk. All I know is several buildings in addition the Tennessee Tower were lit up like that and when driving through on those cold nights to visit my wife's family in KY, it was very nice to see. I hope it was the power bill that spurred the change?

That looks like the building. I wonder why they stopped it. Not PC enough? I am so weary of all this politcally correct nonsense. Even the stores have watered down Christmas with "Happy Holidays" under the guise of being all inclusive. Well that may be but I went to Lowe's and they admitted changing the name of their trees to "Holiday Trees" instead of Christmas trees. What nonsense. I'm not offended by someone saying Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa but I think the PC crowd is just knee jerk. All I know is several buildings in addition the Tennessee Tower were lit up like that and when driving through on those cold nights to visit my wife's family in KY, it was very nice to see. I hope it was the power bill that spurred the change?

it wasn't about being pc. they stopped all the writing that they used to put on it. they used to put all kinds of messages on it. i wish they would go back to doing that again. here is how i celebrate the holidays in the south. :P

christmas014.jpg

Actually what made them stop is paying the janitor at night to go around and turn lights off on all the floors to spell out the messages. The state thought they would save money by eliminating that. But still, every light stays on at all hours of the night in the buildings occupied by state offices?? Go figure huh?

• 11 months later...

grandmashouse2fg2.th.jpg

okinawa1902py9.th.jpg

Who says it is warm in NC during winter. It gets pretty cold in the sandhills region but not much frozen stuff to show for it. We usually get ice/sleet on a regular but we don't get measureable snowfall totals every year. Anyway I love Christmas time in NC. These pics are of my moms house in december 2004. I just came home to visit from Okinawa where it was 75 degrees and walked right in to a sleet/snow shower.

Who says it is warm in NC during winter. It gets pretty cold in the sandhills region but not much frozen stuff to show for it. We usually get ice/sleet on a regular but we don't get measureable snowfall totals every year. Anyway I love Christmas time in NC. These pics are of my moms house in december 2004. I just came home to visit from Okinawa where it was 75 degrees and walked right in to a sleet/snow shower.

I have yet to get Christmas photos of Louisiana Boardwalk... maybe Sunday night. It won't be happening tonight since they're having the fireworks and people will literally be hours trying to drive out of that place. No thanks!

But last night I did stop into southeast Shreveport's suburban "lifestyle center," Shoppes at Bellemead, and snap off a few photos of Christmas decorations.

305438858_52bbfb7f32_b.jpg

305438867_beed79c198_b.jpg

305445866_96e0db06bc_b.jpg

Archived