New Orleans and Baton Rouge Metropolitan Areas to Merge?

NCB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about the other things you listed, however one thing that the film industry could do differently in SE Louisiana is connect and benefit both New Orleans and Baton Rouge. The New Orleans Saints are exactly that, the New Orleans Saints, Mardi Gras, also New Orleans, and the conventions, also New Orleans. But the film industry in SE Louisiana is something that could really bring metro New Orleans and metro Baton Rouge together economically, as it could benefit the entire metro region, not just one individual city.

While it is true that New Orleans would have more movies filmed in the city than Baton Rouge, that's still not where most of the money will be made. Most of the money comes from the actual production of the movies, not the filming, and the production of the movies will take place in both New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I do expect that overall, the largest chunk of the money coming in from the film industry will be in New Orleans, but there will still be plenty of money to be made in both Baton Rouge and Shreveport. That is something very positive for the entire state, as all of our major population centers will have a share in all of the wealth.

And you're definately right about most of the people attending Saints games any many other major events in New Orleans being from NOLA, but c'mon Uptown, Mardi Gras!? ;)

I think Confidently that Baton Rouge Will emerge as a pilar of the hollywood south enterprise.

I think obviously new orleans is a beautiful city and a bigger city so they will shoot alot of things in new orleans.... But baton rouge will be utilized as well, especially with the movie studios being built, i doubt new orleans will remain a focal point of hollywood south, and more likely it will coexist, ...

ncb i can def see this bring the two metro together or at least being the spark that lights a flame

Urban movie shoots will definitely go great in New Orleans. But plenty of nice swamp scenes and plantation settings as well between NO and Baton Rouge. The Tunica Hills and other rural areas will make great settings as well. Baton Rouge had a nice chase scene down I-110 Freeway for the Dukes of Hazard movie. Share the wealth, there is enough to go around.

You are right but keep in mind the Saints are popular throughout the Gulf South. I am among many who have season tickets and make the drive from Baton Rouge. I have met fans who make the drive over from Lafayette, Houma as well as Jackson, Biloxi/Gulfport, MS, Mobile, AL and the Florida Panhandle.

Most of newer subdivisions in Prarieville and Gonzales, such as Pelican Point, is mostly New Orleans people. I just can't see commuting to Baton Rouge or New Orleans from there. It's just too far away.

I imagine that you will see a lot of development south of Baton Rouge- but geographically, they can't merge....but the lines are blurring.

• 1 month later...
The idea is intriguing, but I do think that the combined metro area would be difficult to manage. Baton Rouge and New Orleans have such different cultures that I don't think the two would blend terribly well. Mass transit including rapid (and I mean very rapid) rail might do something to change this, but I think the combination would be unwieldy at best.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of newer subdivisions in Prarieville and Gonzales, such as Pelican Point, is mostly New Orleans people. I just can't see commuting to Baton Rouge or New Orleans from there. It's just too far away.

I imagine that you will see a lot of development south of Baton Rouge- but geographically, they can't merge....but the lines are blurring.

• 2 months later...
The Louisiana Airport Authority Friday unanimously approved a resolution urging the governor and Legislature to provide funds to complete land acquisition and start construction of a proposed international freight-handling airport and industrial complex between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I would be highly disappointed if this project does not move forward. This is a huge project for both New Orleans and Baton Rouge as far as potential for future development goes. Having air, rail, and water based shipping all based at one site will be very attractive to manufacturing, shipping, and warehousing companies. There are not many places in the country with those 3 things in combination. Alot of potential for growth in Assumption, Iberville, Ascension, and St. James Parish if this project moves forward.

WOW!!!! This Intermodal Cargo Airport on the west-side of the river and maybe?? possibly the GIANT $3.1Billion German steel mill Thyssen Krupp on the other side of the river just a few miles apart. Those two projects together would be MASSIVE. The company will choose between Alabama and Louisiana in the coming months. Each state has advantages. Mississippi and Florida leaders backed Alabama and have better incentives; but Louisiana has the Mississippi River. It will be interesting to see.

Could both of these projects compliment each other? The southern-loop/bypass would run between both of these developments with an upgrade to the Sunshine Bridge in Donaldsonville.

It would be one hell of a project, that's for sure. The Port of South Louisiana, the largest port in the Western Hemisphere, PLUS the massive Thyssen Krupp Steel Plant, PLUS one of the largest cargo airports/shipping facilities in the country. All within a few miles of each other. Can you imagine the economic impact that would create for the state! :w00t:

• 1 month later...

I can name 7 people off the top of my head that commute 70-80 miles from suburban Baton Rouge to downtown New Orleans every day to work; pre-Katrina, I knew 0. Of course that's just me, but the amount of people working in New Orleans and living in Baton Rouge seems to be growing, as businesses are returning to New Orleans, but many residents are still unable to do so. I expect the number to decrease in the next few years as major New Orleans neighborhoods like Mid-City and Lakeview are now well on their way to recovery, but there will still be quite a few people making the commute from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, especially compared to the amount of people that did it pre-Katrina.

• 2 months later...

New Orleans Metro Connects to Baton Rouge Metro by 3 major ways

I-10'

I-12

Airline Hwy(forgot the hwy way number)

Taking the airline way....as soon as u cross the line from Br Metro Your in No. Metro

so it really wouldn't be hard to connect the to metro's

but tho rail systems would be nice Not only for the saints games.....LSU hosts the biggest crowd for football in this state plus southern university football on the same night

that would bring the people comming from new orleans stright into the city of baton rouge bypassing the traffic

same way when events are in the superdome...by pass the traffic gettin into new orleans

whats %25 a ride....even if the price was to jump from $1-7 thats still cheaper then buying gas for your car right now

Archived