Charleston's Future?

95-Souf

Charleston's Future....  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Could this be Charleston Today or Tomorrow?

• Yes, The South's newest Icon is Charleston, SC.
    • No, this is more growth than this area can hanle

charleston.jpg

Could this be the future, or even Today?

Charleston expands and sprawls throught South Carolina's Low Country.

As the city grew, it transformed it sorrounding areas, replacing swamps with housing developments, preserving wetlands while managing growth. Urbanizing Charleston's historic downtown, urban living, mass transit, smart freeways that are environmentally sound. New Conections across the Ashley & Cooper Rivers to keep up with growth. Relocating and building a new high-tech airport or accomodate the growing population.

New stadium venues, Major League-sized ball parks. ........Could this be Charleston, SC ?

Population: City.....515,000

Metro...1,250,00

New Highway System

I-226 Outer Belt

I-526 Extn. Beltway (Toll from SR 31 to Charles Harbor Brdg.)

SC SR 31 Palmetto Parkway from Hilton Head to US 17 *Myrtle Beach

SC Sr 30 Extn to JPR Airport

I-826 Connector to SC SR 31

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thats a freeway infrastructure similarly New York City envisioned by Robert Moses at about 70 years ago to where id say at least 50% of the plans never made it. The proposed freeway ideas for the Charleston metro area is not crazy or impossible to accomplish. Start clicking on these two links [1, 2] and what you will see, this could of been NYC today and also check out this link for the current NYC infrastructure as it stands currently. Then read the article.

Wow, thats a freeway infrastructure similarly New York City envisioned by Robert Moses at about 70 years ago to where id say at least 50% of the plans never made it. The proposed freeway ideas for the Charleston metro area is not crazy or impossible to accomplish. Start clicking on these two links [1, 2] and what you will see, this could of been NYC today and also check out this link for the current NYC infrastructure as it stands currently. Then read the article.

Great ino Jerseyman4

Looks like that proposed Ocean Pkwy (1) would have run down Prospect.....

Wow, I love the stats...don't know about the highway infrastructure, though. The map is cool, 95-Souf! I actually started laughing when I saw J.P. Riley Int'l Airport...not that the idea is ridiculous, but considering his hand in almost everything throughout the city, I thought it would be almost prophetic! :D

These are great ideas, and considering how Chas is currently growing, it has been compared to similar growth patterns that took place in Jacksonville. The highways might need to be changed, though. For instance, I don't think SC 31 would be built across Folly Beach and crossing the harbor. Since Chas is the 2nd busiest port on the East Coast, no one would want to build something that could limit access to the harbor. Granted, it would outrank the current Cooper River Bridge as the largest cable-stayed bridge in North America, but it could limit ships coming into the harbor. Harbor pilots want an open harbor mouth to navigate.

I-226 is way too close to the historic gardens of Middleton Place, Drayton Hall, and Magnolia Gardens. The recent public outcry of N. Chas trying to annex near the area is enough to demonstrate that another beltloop will probably not be built around there. However, I do foresee the SC 61 Expressway (Paul Cantrell/Glenn McConnell Parkway) being built further west to eventually intersect with I-95, and it would be renamed I-326, possibly becoming I-326 Bus. Spur at Bees Ferry Road. Chas does need better access to I-95, and most residents would approve of it. Who knows, it could end up becoming part of the proposed I-14 going to Augusta! Then I-226 could link up with it from I-26 around Jedburg. I-826 could very well be a possibility...with that side of Mt. Pleasant built up, demand to increase accessibility to the Daniel Island and Cainhoy areas, along with further access to I-26 is already going up with current develeopments.

I do believe that in the future, N. Chas could merge with Chas and the city limits of Chas would encompass the entirety of Chas County in West Ashley. City limits would also take up the entirety of Johns and James Island. As for J.P. Riley Int'l? Believe it or not, I think it could happen if airport traffic becomes to much for the current hub. However, I think that the current Chas Executive Airport on Johns Island would be converted to an int'l hub, a new one couldn't be built in its present location because of neighborhoods already located there.

All in all, Chas will probably become the next boomtown of the South like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Jacksonville. But, I think the city will be denser, since the city does a lot to check growth already.

While that is a cool concept dawing, I hope that doesn't happen. The last thing Charleston needs is another interestate to encourage more sprawl. Also, I would be very suprised to see them build a bridge over the mouth of the harbor. Morris Island Lighthouse and all of that is in some kind of state park or NWR or something. I am not sure what its called, but you'd have a great deal of public outcry against that.

I do think that the urban area you have outlined is fairly realistic though you do have alot of marshland filled in.

While that is a cool concept dawing, I hope that doesn't happen. The last thing Charleston needs is another interestate to encourage more sprawl. Also, I would be very suprised to see them build a bridge over the mouth of the harbor. Morris Island Lighthouse and all of that is in some kind of state park or NWR or something. I am not sure what its called, but you'd have a great deal of public outcry against that.

I do think that the urban area you have outlined is fairly realistic though you do have alot of marshland filled in.

Thanks, Spartan, I completely forgot about the Morris Island Lighthouse! You're exactly right about that. There would be HUGE outcry to protect the area around the lighthouse, not to mention to keep accessibility to the harbor open.

Interesting idea...

Indeed it is foolish to build a bridge over the harbor opening. Just think of a much deeper Cheasapeake Bridge-Tunner corridor about ten times the cost.

Extending the Palmetto Bay Parkway down to the Charleston area and possibly onward to Hampton would be a good thing, probably as a toll road. You can provide an alternative to 95 traffic directed to coastal metros while generating funds from the toll road to fund other projects.

A series of spur freeways to 26 or 526 would be acceptable.

Hey Charleston Native,. great info,. im learning this area more and more as u all respond, I didnt realize that the historic aspect of this city was as appearent as I thought,. its not like in some places where ist just marked off by a brown sign (Florida) .. and also if the bridge concept is unrealistic,. maybe a Tunnel under the water way.

95-Souf, I completely missed this other idea you drew on the map at first, but now I see it. You propose exactly what I've been thinking should be built...a bridge that connects Daniel Island to DT. I could see that happening in the future with continued development on Daniel Island and Cainhoy. That yellow road coming from I-526 and crossing the Cooper River would be Clements Ferry Road.

Here's the idea: the new extension of Clements Ferry Road would begin around the Magnolia project, starting at Morrison Drive. Motorists would then drive across the river on the Clements Ferry Bridge which would be as tall as the new Cooper River Bridge, but it is shaped like the old Pearman Bridge that was just demolished! That should appease people who loved the old bridges. Anyway, the highway would descend onto Daniel Island and connect with the old Clements Ferry Road. The entire road would 6 lanes from Morrison Drive all the way to I-826. I love that idea...ahhhhhh, isn't dreaming fun? :D

Would something like Hwy 31 really be necessary?

I would just upgrade US 17 as a freeway north of SC 41 and then start up SC 31 just south of Georgetown so it bypasses the town then connects the existening SC 31 by SC 544. The SC 31 thats going to end at US 17 near the Horry/Georgetown line can be another connector (like Grissom Pwy). What name should we give that connector? :thumbsup:

I would just upgrade US 17 as a freeway north of SC 41 and then start up SC 31 just south of Georgetown so it bypasses the town then connects the existening SC 31 by SC 544. The SC 31 thats going to end at US 17 near the Horry/Georgetown line can be another connector (like Grissom Pwy).

When I thought about the growth happening around Charleston and Myrtle Beach, I did considered the possibility of an upgraded highway connecting them if the need arises. I don't know if that would happen or if people along the route would desire it considering its impact.

What name should we give that connector? :thumbsup:

I was thinking maybe Charleston-Myrtle Expressway? :)

Actually, according to a P & C article, growth for Charleston could become very "Jacksonville-ish". The newspaper reported that 113,000 new homes are slated to be built in the Chas metro area. That article was posted by Infinite1 in a couple of other threads:

Is Charleston on the verge of a population boom?

First SC city to break away from the pack

This map could indicate some possible changes, but according to the article, alot of the growth could occur up I-26. However, as that area gets more remote, areas such as West Ashley and Johns Island are the next target areas for future growth. Completion of the I-526 beltloop to SC 30 on James Island would help that.

Hey Charleston Native,. great info,. im learning this area more and more as u all respond, I didnt realize that the historic aspect of this city was as appearent as I thought,. its not like in some places where ist just marked off by a brown sign (Florida) .. and also if the bridge concept is unrealistic,. maybe a Tunnel under the water way.

Actually, 95-Souf, a SC 31 Expressway, while it would be excellent to have a beach highway, is highly improbable to go through Folly Beach, across the harbor, and onto Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms. Too many people have million dollar homes in all of these beach towns. You would have to build the tunnel from Edisto Island all the way past Mt. Pleasant! Charleston is a very historic city, to a fault in some aspects, so some of these changes would be very improbable.

When I thought about the growth happening around Charleston and Myrtle Beach, I did considered the possibility of an upgraded highway connecting them if the need arises. I don't know if that would happen or if people along the route would desire it considering its impact.

I was thinking maybe Charleston-Myrtle Expressway? :)

That actually sounds like a great and logical idea! The state of SC would never go for something like that. Imagine Charleston and Myrtle's size if I-95 would have run thru them, instead of an hour away.

• 2 weeks later...

That actually sounds like a great and logical idea! The state of SC would never go for something like that. Imagine Charleston and Myrtle's size if I-95 would have run thru them, instead of an hour away.

You know, there's quite a number of Charlestonians, myself included, that are a little bitter towards Cola because of I-95 bypassing the coastal areas. Granted, the Pee Dee would be worse off than it is now, but if I-95 went by Chas around Chas Southern University and by MB, the areas would probably be the 1st and 2nd largest cities in the state. They would possibly even rival cities like Charlotte and Raleigh.

You know, there's quite a number of Charlestonians, myself included, that are a little bitter towards Cola because of I-95 bypassing the coastal areas. Granted, the Pee Dee would be worse off than it is now, but if I-95 went by Chas around Chas Southern University and by MB, the areas would probably be the 1st and 2nd largest cities in the state. They would possibly even rival cities like Charlotte and Raleigh.

I think if I-95 would of parallelled US 17 by a few miles to the west, many areas would of been much more denser with development like how Florida is with I-95 throughout most of their shoreline.

I think if I-95 would of parallelled US 17 by a few miles to the west, many areas would of been much more denser with development like how Florida is with I-95 throughout most of their shoreline.

Absolutely. Parts of Charleston like West Ashley, James Island, the north area, even Daniel Island, and Mt. Pleasant might have been quite different and denser. I don't know if all of that would be entirely a good thing, though. <_<

Archived