Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peaceloveunderstanding

MSA Economic Strength Rankings

WOW, for all the economic beatings Atlanta's MSA has been dealt over the last five years, she sure is still doing quite well in the rankings.

She's number 7th in the nation for median incomes for MSA and 2nd for economic strength for MSA per this thread. Even with a few rankings that came out earlier this week from the Census Bureau, two of her counties are in the countries 20 wealthiest counties in the USA. This bodes well for her overall because she has been dealt some serious blows as of late.

Okay, enough gushing on Atlanta.....it's not like she needs me for her Branding campaign, lol. :whistling:

WOW, for all the economic beatings Atlanta's MSA has been dealt over the last five years, she sure is still doing quite well in the rankings.

She's number 7th in the nation for median incomes for MSA and 2nd for economic strength for MSA per this thread. Even with a few rankings that came out earlier this week from the Census Bureau, two of her counties are in the countries 20 wealthiest counties in the USA. This bodes well for her overall because she has been dealt some serious blows as of late.

Okay, enough gushing on Atlanta.....it's not like she needs me for her Branding campaign, lol. :whistling:

Keep in mind that everything is relative. The last 5 years have provided a beating for the nation as a whole, given that the nation went into a recession and recovery (attempts at it). I dare say that Atlanta was not picked on or singled out. Also, if I am not mistaken, Atlanta area has about 1 million counties (just kidding). Anyway, when you have a lot of counties, many of them small, it is very easy to have a wealthy suburban county that does not contain large pockets of poverty as what happens in large counties that cover thousands of Square miles like in California.

Keep in mind that everything is relative. The last 5 years have provided a beating for the nation as a whole, given that the nation went into a recession and recovery (attempts at it). I dare say that Atlanta was not picked on or singled out.

I didn't mean to imply that Atlanta was specifically single out by some entity. You are right, the nation as a whole has suffered however it is a fact that Atlanta was top heavy with telecommunications, DotNets and transportation. Three industries that have suffered greatly since late 1999/early 2000. Do I feel it was purposefully done....no, and I don't think anyone could or would allege such a thing.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Atlanta area has about 1 million counties (just kidding). Anyway, when you have a lot of counties, many of them small, it is very easy to have a wealthy suburban county that does not contain large pockets of poverty as what happens in large counties that cover thousands of Square miles like in California.

I know you are kidding about the metro counties but Atlanta's MSA is 28 counties. Many of these counties are small, however you are correct in that the land area is large. This however bodes well for Atlanta's MSA placing in the top ten wealthiest metros because the larger the area, the great probabilities you have. Atlanta's metro probably have a higher population than some of the higher ranked MSAs so how many counties a MSA have is irrelevant. You are right that some of these rankings of counties can be deceptive. In metro Atlanta specifically, Fayette and Forsyth counties ranked higher than much larger and much more populated Fulton county. Fulton county however has the metro areas and probably the state's most affluent communities as well as some on the metros most disadvantaged. Such is the dilema of a metro county with 910,000 people.

Having said all of that, Metro Atlanta still did very well in the rankings be it 1 county or 50,000,000 counties. Inspite of an economic downturn that has hit Atlanta's metro especially hard, she continues to strive towards greatness.....as are every metro in the nation.

Hmmm...I think there's something wrong here with the economic strength ranking for my hometown. Chas got only 90 yet Cola is 54?!?!? :huh: Chas getting a new aircraft plant and a new Sprinter van plant, real estate prices going through the roof, yet it ranks only 90? I don't know about these rankings. If anything, Chas and Cola are very similar in economic strengths.

The validity of this ranking is questionable, IMO.

I didn't mean to imply that Atlanta was specifically single out by some entity. You are right, the nation as a whole has suffered however it is a fact that Atlanta was top heavy with telecommunications, DotNets and transportation. Three industries that have suffered greatly since late 1999/early 2000. Do I feel it was purposefully done....no, and I don't think anyone could or would allege such a thing.

I know you are kidding about the metro counties but Atlanta's MSA is 28 counties. Many of these counties are small, however you are correct in that the land area is large. This however bodes well for Atlanta's MSA placing in the top ten wealthiest metros because the larger the area, the great probabilities you have. Atlanta's metro probably have a higher population than some of the higher ranked MSAs so how many counties a MSA have is irrelevant. You are right that some of these rankings of counties can be deceptive. In metro Atlanta specifically, Fayette and Forsyth counties ranked higher than much larger and much more populated Fulton county. Fulton county however has the metro areas and probably the state's most affluent communities as well as some on the metros most disadvantaged. Such is the dilema of a metro county with 910,000 people.

Having said all of that, Metro Atlanta still did very well in the rankings be it 1 county or 50,000,000 counties. Inspite of an economic downturn that has hit Atlanta's metro especially hard, she continues to strive towards greatness.....as are every metro in the nation.

Everyone is a cheerleader for their area I guess. People are so emotionally tied to such rankings and statistics that it often makes objective analyses difficult. Where ever I lay my hat is my home and where I lay my hat is going to be based upon what environment is most conducive for my children...that

Everyone is a cheerleader for their area I guess. People are so emotionally tied to such rankings and statistics that it often makes objective analyses difficult.

I agree....which is why I use actual data so as to my responses are not emtional in nature. You can't dispute fact.....you can only take from it what it reveals.

Where ever I lay my hat is my home and where I lay my hat is going to be based upon what environment is most conducive for my children...that

I'm surprised being the Charlotte area has about a 5% unemployment rate and it doesn't even rank in the top 25 in areas such as per capita personal income, total personal income, GMP, as well as other areas that would help illustrate how strong a MSA's economy really is.

Laughable at best.

Winchester, Va over Houston, Tampa, etc...

Wausau, Wi and Fort Collin, Co over Chicago, Sacramento, Las Vegas, NYC, etc...

Boise City-Nampa, ID, Barnstable Town, MA, Oshkosh -Neenah, WI, and Sioux Falls, SD over Jacksonville, San Jose and San Fransisco, etc...

How about adding the following factors market gowth %, population growth %, housing permits to population ratio, corporate expansion and relocation, average wage/cost of living ratio, foreign investment, value of construction, etc....

These things determine how well a local economy is doing.

I don't see how Wausau, Wi can have a better economy than Jacksonville when J-Ville just announced 2 40+ story towers within a week, has more permits pulled for housing than Charlotte and is gaining a Japanese based cargo facility that handles 800,000 20 foot containers per year and is in the midst of $1.5 billion in road construction projects just for starters.

They spent who knows how much time creating this and it's absolutely and utterly pointless and of no value to any business at all.

I am a bit confused folks, I see Washington as being ranked #1 for 2005, not Charlotte. What am I missing here? the rankings on the right are for last year.

I am a bit confused folks, I see Washington as being ranked #1 for 2005, not Charlotte. What am I missing here? the rankings on the right are for last year.

They just updated the rankings recently, so people are discussing the previous rankings :thumbsup:

The poll is laughable if you think data is laughable. Just because a city is gaining in population, adding skyscrapers, or even added a large new industrial facility - doesn't always mean it's economically doing well. Particularly based on a ratio based measurement. Additionally - certain cities that are heavily tied to a specific economy, such as high-tech, that has not done well since the late 90's, are obviously going to be downgraded. Especially San Franciso.

Columbia has done well. The economy there is very diverse and stable always has been its ranking isn't a surprise. I am suprised to see a drop in this years rankings, but I'm thinking 2006 will be a better year.