Two New Interstate Highway's For Louisiana?

NCB

Interstate 410-Baton Rougei-410_la.gif

I-410 was originally proposed on a smaller scale for Baton Rouge in the 1960's-70's. Now after Katrina, and the population growth that Baton Rouge will most likely continue to see, this project is being studied and planned for again.

I-410 would basically serve as an outer loop around Baton Rouge. Starting at I-12 outside of Denham Springs, heading north and curving to meet with I-110 above downtown and near the airport, continuing over the Mississippi River on the U.S. 190 bridge, and curving south to meet with I-10 outside of Port Allen. This project is being seriously considered and planned by Baton Rouge city officials, there should be some new updates on the project soon.

baton_rouge_metro.gif

Interstare 69-Shreveport/Bossier City area i-069_mi.jpg

I-69 in Louisiana would be part of the new extention plan to have the I-69 corridor run from Indianapolis,IN to to extreme SE Texas, near the USA/Mexico border. I-69 would run just south of Shreveport and Bossier City, crossing I-20 and I-49. If I-69 were to be built were it is proposed, an extention of Shreveport's outer loop, I-220, would most likely be built to allow easy access to I-60 from north Shreveport. This would complete a full loop around Shreveport and Bossier City. I-69 is under heavy study and planning in Louisiana.

i6929mj.png

Blue=Proposed I-69 Corridor

Red=Proposed Extentions to I-220

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisiana hasn't signed on yet? All the other states of the corridor I'm pretty sure have. I know Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi have, with KY/TN/MS doing the work already.

Not sure on ARK and TX, but I'm pretty sure their on board as well.

I have been under the impression that I-69 is all but a sure thing, and that the only variable for the full interstate reaching completion was the timetable for all the states completing all their sections of the roadway for connection.

From what I know, Louisiana is very close to signing on to I-69.

The only thing that is still under review is where exactly to build it in Shreveport, but the proposed corridor on the map above seems to be the most popular idea.

Louisiana hasn't signed on yet? All the other states of the corridor I'm pretty sure have. I know Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi have, with KY/TN/MS doing the work already.

Not sure on ARK and TX, but I'm pretty sure their on board as well.

I have been under the impression that I-69 is all but a sure thing, and that the only variable for the full interstate reaching completion was the timetable for all the states completing all their sections of the roadway for connection.

I'm pretty sure Arkansas has as well.

According to news coming out of Shreveport, both Shreveport and Bossier City are nearly complete with studies on where the I-69 corridor should be placed in the area. I'm sure there will be more news coming out of NW Louisiana in the next few days.

It's not on paper, but, Hurricane Katrina has expedited the completion of I-49 from New Orleans to Lafayette, with the elevated expressway on the Westbank going all the way to Raceland. I-10 in New Orleans East is scheduled to be elevated, as well. There will be an interstate constructed from New Orleans to Violet, LA in Suburban St. Benard Parish, as well.

Its nice to see you Alon!

I had heard of a new spur route proposed for Saint Bernard Parish a few weeks back, but haven't heard any new information since then.

It seems like Katrina has expedited the completion of I-49 from Shreveport to Texarkana,AR as well. I was up in Shreveport two weeks ago, the hot topic there was the start of construction on I-49.

I'm really glad to hear about I-49. I'm sure Bigboyz05 in Texarkana will be also. Now I wish Arkansas could get the section between Texarkana and Ft Smith going amoung other projects. That will be going through the Ouachita Mtns and that will probably make it even longer before it's ever done though.

^I think that once Arkansas see's Louisiana getting I-49 south and I-49 north under construction, they will get the necessary sections in AR completed.

You guys started construction on I-49 from Texarkana down to the AR-LA border many months before Louisiana even thought about starting. In fact, Arkansas working so hard on their parts of I-49 was the main reason Louisiana made such a push for the funding for both of the I-49 projects.

^I think that once Arkansas see's Louisiana getting I-49 south and I-49 north under construction, they will get the necessary sections in AR completed.

You guys started construction on I-49 from Texarkana down to the AR-LA border many months before Louisiana even thought about starting. In fact, Arkansas working so hard on their parts of I-49 was the main reason Louisiana made such a push for the funding for both of the I-49 projects.

Don't be so sure. That was a small section. Texarkana to Ft Smith is a much bigger section through some rugged terrain. That and Arkansas is a state that prefers to do most of it's road work only when they have the money to pay upfront. I-540 which would also be part of the future I-49 took a long time. I think it was 20 years before they finally finished it after they started talking about it. We'll hope for a better reaction than that but I won't get my hopes up yet. :D

^Yea we'll all just have to hope for the best.

Believe me, Louisiana is no better at dealing with highway construction, or taking care of most roads, or constructing new roads in general. :rolleyes:

But hopefully everyone will just get their acts together this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Baton Rouge Really needs 410, and to expand I-10 with more lanes.

What i think is even more important is too expand the surface roads. The two lane bottleneck roads across baton rouge make no sense at all. All the roads should be at least 4, 5, pr 6 lanes

whats worse, the most major roads dont connect.

The blubonnet project is the first hope, they finally opened coursey, to blubonnet so you can drive from george oneal all they way to nicholson. That type of expansion should be all over the city.

All roads should go from one side of the city to the other

BRPJ, do you have any updates on new road projects or street widening projects in Baton Rouge? I stayed in BR after Katrina, and the major issue for the future seemed to be how to deal with traffic from the influx of people expected to move into the area.

I have now also heard some talk of resurrecting an old plan in New Orleans to build a full beltway loop around the city. It would connect downtown with Saint Charles, Saint Bernard, Jefferson, and outer Orleans' parishes. Expect more news soon.

I have now also heard some talk of resurrecting an old plan in New Orleans to build a full beltway loop around the city. It would connect downtown with Saint Charles, Saint Bernard, Jefferson, and outer Orleans' parishes. Expect more news soon.

WOW!

and no i don't have any updates. :(

Do you know what happened with the 1-10 project between blubonnet and seigan, i know they had some problems, but did they figure how to correct it and move on?

... are you from no?

Would that be great, or what? For years, I've heard rumors of another Mississippi River bridge crossing the river at Chalmette/Algiers. Could they finally be getting the funding for this?

I may not be catching on to what everyone is talking about. But I take it the same number is being used in more than one state? I've already noticed this not long ago. I was in the main UP forum saw something pop up about I-540 news under the Southern US forum so I just went to it. Then I realize I was in the North Carolina forum. Apparently there's a I-540 in both Arkansas and North Carolina. If this isn't what everyone was talking about then nevermind. :D

I-610 in New Orleans and I-610 in Houston are two different interstates. I-610 in New Orleans is just a bypass of downtown, to avoid the heavy traffic. I-610 in Houston is a full inner-loop around the city.

I-160 in New Orleans(I-10 dips down towards downtown, I-610 continues strait)

i610neworleans5lj.png

I-610 Houston(full inner loop)

i610houston3oc.gif

Yeah I guess they are running out of numbers and have to re-use them. I do know that even numbers like 6 tend to be east-west. Odd numbers tend to be north-south.

Yep.

Even numbered interstates like I-10 or I-12 run east-west, while odd numbered interstates like I-65 or I-85 run north-south.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think Louisiana hasn't signed on to I-69 because it jeopardized I-49 pre-Katrina. Also, it would connect the port of Houston with the rest of the continent in a way that might hurt the port of New Orleans.

Getting I-49 done should be a major priority. Has any of our federal money been earmarked for I-49 yet?

Archived