Pictures from a small town in Kentucky

Vertigo

Russellville, Kentucky. Population 7,500

I had an unexpected day off from work so why not take some pictures around my 'hood.

We'll start by walking toward downtown...

79b8f7b1.jpg

3d5a5410.jpg

b2008861.jpg

115e46bb.jpg

6e071ccf.jpg

84e4b9cb.jpg

This building burned last year. Plans are to refurbish the facade and turn the interior space into a downtown park.

acc55e2c.jpg

A new restaurant is scheduled to open in this corner building next year.

rse.jpg

9b2c6e27.jpg

75355daf.jpg

db077b7c.jpg

f40a7946.jpg

ccf0bb78.jpg

d2631160.jpg

0b94d3e2.jpg

560e0f42.jpg

493aa805.jpg

c88be69d.jpg

c7d16b89.jpg

The street I live on!

6edafa02.jpg

eedb3d48.jpg

This home was built as a honeymoon cottage after the couple returned from the Grand Canyon.

af5eb0f7.jpg

808f9c67.jpg

That's all for now. Ya'll come back now!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pictures, I love seeing them of small towns. Russellville has some really cool looking houses, especially the one in the last picture.

I like looking up information on cities and I did on Russellville, here is an interesting fact, one of Jesse James' robberies took place there, it also says one of the larger banks in the city square pays homage to the March 20, 1868 robbery with a large mural painting in the lobby. I have always been interested in Jesse James because I am related to him.

Also, NASA astronaut Terry Wilcutt is a native of there.

Thanks for the responses guys. The actual bank building robbed by the Jesse James gang can be seen in the previous photos. Here is a better front view of the building. Today it is a private residence.

southern.jpg

Jesse also left a souvenir in Russellville. On their way out of town, the gang was shooting guns into the sky. One of the bullets went through the weather vane on top of the courthouse. Today, the weather vane with the bullet hole can be seen here at the 1812 Saddle Factory Museum.

saddle.jpg

Great photos of a great town. From its early pioneer days (it being the oldest town in the area--settled 1780, town established 1795, I believe) through the Civil War, the Black Patch War and Jesse James, it has seen a lot of history. It offers a lot of charm today.

--your neighbor in Bowling Green

At first I kept thinking to myself I know I had responded to a this topic, but now I realize I saw these pics over in the Kentucky forum. Thanks for posting. I've been wondering whether to repost many of my different Arkansas city pics over here as well.

Archived