Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, thanks for folks taking the time to help me learn a little more about the neighborhoods and areas the Raleigh-Durham area. It is most appreciated.

As for a price range - probably 175-300K would be in the ideal range for what we would want to spend on housing. My mother in law, who is deaf, lives with us too, so we need a larger house to accommodate her -and any future children, so we could go higher if need be for space. In D.C. of course we were just going to have to spend more for less space and have to deal with it in exchange for living in large city with lots of amenities and mass transit, but as I stated the reason we were going there is no longer valid. Now we just want to get out of Tennessee and to city and state that better suits us - which has led use to looking at the Raleigh-Durham area and another city.

Inner neighborhoods are definitely something we want to look at, I did not mean to indicate otherwise in my original post. My wife really likes our current suburban house a lot, so thus the first thing I looked for was something along the same lines. However, she nor I are real big fans of the suburban way of life in the least. She would just prefer a larger house....I prefer sidewalks, as little yard to deal with as possible, and that a Democratic sign in my yard won't get torched in the middle of the night as happened this past year to my Obama sign. Being closer to downtown and urban amenities are a plus to us..... as it would be nice not to have to drive an hour (to Memphis) to see limited run films, a nice urban park, or museum.

Chapel Hill is not somewhere I have looked a lot into that much to be honest, I know UNC is there and it should be more liberal, but I figured most employment revolved around the university. Raleigh has the state government and several hospitals, which are pluses to us as far as employment goes.

The Quail Hollow area is very nice...south of Millbrook (so not so far out as to feel disconnected from downtown). Proximity to North Hills, (a very nice redevelopment of a 1960s era shopping mall using pseudo new urban principles). I live just north of there in Fairfax Hills, the signs in our neighborhood were 50/50 Obama vs. McCain in November (and we have a lot of elderly "original owners" who haven't turned over yet). some of these neighborhoods (Quail Hollow, Lakemont) retain neighborhood swim clubs that are a great place to send your kids in the summer...

Archived