Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

Welcome to the forum pdxrdu...I too am about to move to Downtown Raleigh (hopefully close tomorrow) and I'm quite excited about the future of the area. By the close of the decade, downtown should be an exciting place all over -- not just in three or four seperated areas.

One thing I feel, and have felt for a while, is that downtown needs a lot more connectivity. I'm hoping the Fayetteville Street project will provide some of that. I've always wanted to see more trolley service in downtown, especially Friday and Saturday nights. Anway, welcome, and enjoy your stay!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum pdxrdu...I too am about to move to Downtown Raleigh (hopefully close tomorrow) and I'm quite excited about the future of the area.  By the close of the decade, downtown should be an exciting place all over -- not just in three or four seperated areas.

One thing I feel, and have felt for a while, is that downtown needs a lot more connectivity.  I'm hoping the Fayetteville Street project will provide some of that.  I've always wanted to see more trolley service in downtown, especially Friday and Saturday nights.  Anway, welcome, and enjoy your stay!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congrats Justin on the new home! I work in real estate (though not in NC) so I can appreciate what you are doing. Being a 'pioneer' can have it's rewards. And generally (at least around here) when you buy into a new building you get a pretty good deal and generally your value only goes up from there. So are there restaurants and such you can walk to from your new home?

Yes, quite a few. Its about a block from City Market which has some nice restaurants and bars. Also two blocks from the IMAX theater, and some more nice restaurants at Moore Square. Not to mention the new Progress Energy building which will have a coffee shop, day spa, and some more restaurants. I'm really excited!

PDX, I've yet to meet anyone who has moved to Raleigh and hates it.  I suggest living DT or somewhere ITB (Inside the Beltline).  Myself, I'm not a big fan of the suburbs.  Good luck with your move

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've met several people who couldn't stand Raleigh, and they all came from larger cities. I suppose that for every person that comes here from the big city and loves it because it's quieter and more relaxed but still has plenty of amenities, there's someone else who feels trapped and suffocated due to that same relaxed, quieter atmosphere.

I will tell you this: if you aren't a student, and you want to have a life, you need a car. Period. I'm no longer a student but I still don't have a car, so I'm finding that out the hard way (lots of Friday nights spent typing away on urbanplanet lately...)

Congratulations on your condo!  I've been looking at downtown Raleigh condos online.  I like the Warehouse Lofts and Cotton Mill Lofts.  Are they anywhere near the area you're talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its on the other side of downtown...near Moore Square and City Market. But not too far, maybe 5 blocks?

I've met several people who couldn't stand Raleigh, and they all came from larger cities. I suppose that for every person that comes here from the big city and loves it because it's quieter and more relaxed but still has plenty of amenities, there's someone else who feels trapped and suffocated due to that same relaxed, quieter atmosphere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the people I have met who have moved to Raleigh *were* from larger cities. I'm not takling about the surrounding areas (Apex, Cary, Zebulon, etc.) but Raleigh proper. I have two good and non-related friends who just moved from NYC and absolutely love it.

Most of the people I have met who have moved to Raleigh *were* from larger cities.  I'm not takling about the surrounding areas (Apex, Cary, Zebulon, etc.) but Raleigh proper.  I have two good and non-related friends who just moved from NYC and absolutely love it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife and I live right outside of NYC and have been to Raleigh and Charlotte several times. We are still considering both cities, but lately have been thinking more about Charlotte because it seems to offer more of a city feel. I'm sure both places are great! We have friends from many places that have relocated to both. They all want us to move to "their" city.

PDX, I've yet to meet anyone who has moved to Raleigh and hates it.  I suggest living DT or somewhere ITB (Inside the Beltline).  Myself, I'm not a big fan of the suburbs.  Good luck with your move

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Good to hear that so many folks like Raleigh. I won't be ready to move for at least a couple of years, but I'm gathering information and looking around. I plan to make a few visits and get a good feel for it. I'm not a suburb person. I grew up in LA and had my fill of that!

The fact that downtown Raleigh is poised to take off is exciting to me. I enjoyed seeing some of the beautiful neighborhoods inside the Beltline. My favorite was Hayes Barton, but it's out of my price range.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently live in VA Beach (AKA Blah Beach), VA... the East Coast LA. Anyway, I am changing careers and finding jobs very difficult to come by (I have a specialized degree for the most part). Long story short: there seem to be tons of jobs in my new field in the Triangle and zilch here.

I am originally from Oregon as well and was interested in the comparisons that people have made between Portland and Raleigh. I am gonna be making a trip to Raleigh soon and want to know what areas are cool, hip and fun. And if any of you all could answer me some of these questions, I would appreciate it a lot.

#1 Is Raleigh an "artsy" city, like Portland? Is there a big artist scene? My partner is an artist and this area is not really great for that either. We have been thinking of DC but the cost vs. pay vs. commutes= blah.

#2 What is the most gay-freindly areas around the metro area? What are some areas that a gay person would be better off avoiding? Here there is Ghent and Richmond has "The Fan". Are there any areas like that there (older buildings, artsy people, not necessarily a gay ghetto like DuPont in DC).

#3 How culturally diverse and open is Raleigh?

I live in VA already so I know it doesn't get much more conservative than this. NC seems to be a state that takes itself less seriously than VA (which thinks it is the mother of the country). Is that assumption true? I have been to Raleigh once a few years ago when there were some protests going on against guns. It was a nice city I have to say but I don't remember all of it.

Any tips you have would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks ahead of time!

Carrboro's "gay" mayor is still in office.

My partner and I live in north Raleigh (Falls River) and have been very welcomed. The Triangle is an odd place (in a good sense)...lots of interesting parts scattered about...which makes for great searching and exploring. 16 years after moving to the Triangle from New York City, I'm still surprised by what I find happening there...

Chapel Hill may be the most gay friendly and open community in the Triangle....but in case u r into clubs, it has no gay club. I believe it may have a club that has a gay nite tho. Durham has Vision's, a lesbian bar/club....and there is this other club on Main St downtown....can't think of it's name but it has a gay night or 2 during the week from what I've heard. Raleigh has 3 gay clubs...sort of clustered together in downtown, pretty much 1 each for different types of ppl.

As far as artsy....Chapel Hill has quite the artistic crowd....I used to think of them as snobs but then I moved to Cary (j/k) lol Durham has a great artistic scene around Duke....and even w/ a reputation of high crime and being dangerous I find it to be quite gay friendly...once again especially the Duke/Ninth St area. Raleigh....ummm I'm sure it has artsy areas, I'm just not that familiar with them....probably in pockets around NCState would be my guess....definately not in the bland suburban parts out towards 540 and its edges....

Carrboro is definately cheaper then Chapel Hill, and literally right up the road, so if u r considering Chapel Hill take a look at Carrboro, u'll get more house for your money, u just won't have the Chapel Hill address.

Oh, and Cary.....where I call home.....it's um boring. No gay clubs, conservative, but u aren't gonna be attacked for being gay. It is quite diverse though, thanks to the huge boom of the '90's bringing in so many different types of ppl. There's not really much of an art scene...although I'm sure u could find intellectuals at one of our many Starbucks :-p

There are several nice condo buildings around Raleighs gay district. The Dawson, and Park Devaruex. The Boylan Heights area is also gay friendly with lots of beautiful old homes. Historic Oakwood also has a lot of gay residents. Then theres the "gay ghetto" Cameron Court which is between Hillsborough St. and Morgan St. There are several art galleries in dt Raleigh, the biggest being Artspace in City Market. The BTI Center for the performing arts also has a mainly gay art auction every year called Works of Heart. All the money raised by the selling of art at this auction is given to the Alliance of Aids Services Carolina. There is also an art walk on Glenwood South the first Friday of every month.

Then theres the "gay ghetto" Cameron Court which is between Hillsborough St. and Morgan St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er, I didn't realize that Cameron Court was considered a "gay ghetto." I'm a single, straight guy and I was thinking about living there when my current lease expires. I'd be just fine with living in the same complex as a lot of gay people, and I've heard that it's a very decent place and a great location for the rent, but anything that gets the term "ghetto" for whatever reason rather puts me on edge. :blink:

What, exactly, does the term mean?

Er, I didn't realize that Cameron Court was considered a "gay ghetto."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to know a guy there who was gay--I think it just happens to be a neighborhood where lots of G&L men and women find appealing to live. I live a few blocks away from there, and it's a nice area in general (across from St. Marys), although the apartments are older and in some cases in need of repairs. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

There is also an art walk on Glenwood South the first Friday of every month.

I believe the art walk extends all over downtown. The largest art gallery is ArtSpace at City Market like was mentioned before...first Friday is really actually a great time to mingle with like minded people, look at great art, free wine :), and food.

As for the "gay ghetto"...they are definitely not ghetto, however they are older. I know gay and straight people that live there, and they all love it. All the apartments have so much character and the courtyards are beautiful too. One drawback is they don't have washer/dryer or dishwasher hookups, so you have to go down to the laundrymat (in one of the apartment buildings) and wash your dishes in the sink (which isn't too terrible).

.......Then theres the "gay ghetto" Cameron Court which is between Hillsborough St. and Morgan St......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Several of my friends live there and they're all gay lol. I like the apartments, but they're a bit too crusty for me. They give you the feeling of being in an urban loft in the middle of a city somewhere. But they're not too bad.

Archived