Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh would be your last choice, in my opinion. The city is a lot like a huge suburb (probably not far off from what I've heard about VA Beach) with a boring, nondescript downtown (except for a few cool museums). Chapel Hill/Carrboro, as many have stated, is the definite winner in terms of "street atmosphere" and "liberal-mindedness".

But don't pass on Durham without at least checking it out. It's reputation as an unsafe city is a little overstated and its downtown is quickly becoming one of the more interesting urban environments in the state.

Can I ask what kind of work are you trying to find around here?

Raleigh would be your last choice, in my opinion. The city is a lot like a huge suburb (probably not far off from what I've heard about VA Beach) with a boring, nondescript downtown (except for a few cool museums). Chapel Hill/Carrboro, as many have stated, is the definite winner in terms of "street atmosphere" and "liberal-mindedness".

But don't pass on Durham without at least checking it out. It's reputation as an unsafe city is a little overstated and its downtown is quickly becoming one of the more interesting urban environments in the state.

Can I ask what kind of work are you trying to find around here?

I dunno. Chapel Hill has the Rep, but I find it to be, on balance, a very white, homogenous place that is socially a fairly closed system unless you're connected to the University in some way. I agree that Durham shouldn't be overlooked for the artsy cultural stuff, but take a self defense class before you move there. Seriously.

It's interesting, though-- Raleigh is certainly more politically conservative than either CH or Durham, but maybe because there are more people, or maybe for other reasons, most of the gay people we know (not that we know hundreds by any means) live in Raleigh.

I think all of Raleigh is at least gay tolerant with downtown being what I think of as a normal mostly liberal area...indie rock bars, industrial dance clubs, brew pubs, a decent size arts community even if its considered a "small pond" for the fish working here, some old buildings. Cameron Court apartments are oldish and affordable and appealing to anyone not looking for a suburban spread. To a straight guy with plenty of gay and lesbian friends I would say the gay and lesbian community here is larger than most people realize but not very cetralized geographically...although Flex, CC's, Legends (clubs) and White Rabbit (bookstore) are all in the Warehouse district and a hsort walk from each other.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site overall, and will be moving from Madison, WI to this area in the fall to join the UNC community. I have been having some trouble from afar ascertaining which are the most livable communities here, particularly from a new urbanist perspective.

I am particularly interested in condo living or living in unique buildings/developments near either UNC or near something like Weaver St. Market. I'm very interested in something that has bike paths that lead to UNC (are there any?) for commuting - the street bike lanes seem dangerous! - and I would deeply appreciate any insight for developments that are being planned, etc. but not yet built. If I can't find the right thing, I may try to rent until the right development comes online.

As I move to the triangle, I hope to participate from a position of knowledge, but right now I'd be very grateful for advice.

Oh, and I'm single with a dog, so I'm not talking about BIG condos etc. I'm looking for somewhere that is located in the middle of a vibrant community, like the Willy street neighborhood in Madison where I live now.

If this isn't the right forum for this sort of question, please forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

If this isn't the right forum for this sort of question, please forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

Welcome to UP!

For what i know, East Main St near the Chapel Hill/Carrboro line and downtown Chapel Hill along Franklin St will provide urban-like living but not at a large scale. Chapel Hill/Carrboro and the rest of teh Triangle is a very sprawl like metro area.

East Main St and Franklin Street is all the same road but with some twists along the roadway between the two towns.

As a Chapel Hill resident, I can tell you there are a ton of small nonconventional studio apartments/condos all over the downtown area and/or close to campus. I live at about a 5 min. walk from the hospital/south campus area. The biggest thing coming on line which would be right up your alley is the Shortbread lofts project which is aimed at the UNC workforce (staff, faculty, and grad students). They will be smaller loft style condos (starting at 800 sq. ft) and will be affordably priced and gives you a location right in downtown.

Heres on article:

Story

I lived over there for 11 years and can say both sides of Chapel Hill have their ups and downs. There are more "neat" things and walkable/bikable areas on the west side (Carrboro), but it is HARD living. NOTHING is convenient, and I found myself jumping in the car and driving 20 minutes to go get anything. One time I went out to buy colored posterboard and magic markers. 1.5hrs and 5 stores later, I found myself at Office Depot in Durham. Buying shelves? Printer ink? Need interesting produce? How 'bout a good quick burger? Want to buy a book? Want to buy a pair of pants? Most of the time you'll find yourself driving 20min or more. I think Carrboro has two gas stations. That can be a real problem, too. On the other hand there are some good restaurants, the Cat's Cradle, a GREAT video store, great bus service, and Cliff's Meat Market. Neat stuff, for sure.

The East side of CH has many more nice, livable areas, but biking is treacherous unless you like biking up mountains, both ways.

If it were me, I'd live near University Mall and rely on the bus system as much as possible when going to campus.

Thank you all for this response! Prices do seem to be pretty outsized, but I'll check out these leads and any others you are willing to provide me. This last post is very useful too. It seems that the area is car-centric to the extreme, which is a little unfortunate. A good day for me is biking to and from work, getting some groceries via bike and making dinner, doing it again every day. I'm willing to do that in apartments, but then I get where I want to be all crafty and tear up the interior, and then I realize I need a space I can own and break.

If there are any further leads on good apartments, etc. or good developments coming... There was one called I think greenmount? that seemed pretty cool, please let me know, and thank you all very much.

NDN

here's a thread that's been discussing downtown CH developments. I would say shortbread lofts are probably your best bet too, unless the city get's moving a bit faster on the redevelopment of parking lots 5 and 2. This 'green' development might also be a possibility if you're looking longer term.

For the short term, there are a lot of possibilities for rentals. If affordability is an issue, right across the street from the 'green' development is a very recently completed 3 story 'efficiency' apartment building, where I think small loft style apartments go for about 400-450 a month. I've been meaning to post a picture of it for a while, but am having camera troubles. This neighborhood is within easy walking distance of UNC and Weaver Street, though it is a bit rougher than other areas of UNC. More edgy possibilities include the 2 nearby latino markets which rent apartments above them for pretty affordable rates.

NOTHING is convenient, and I found myself jumping in the car and driving 20 minutes to go get anything. One time I went out to buy colored posterboard and magic markers. 1.5hrs and 5 stores later, I found myself at Office Depot in Durham. Buying shelves? Printer ink? Need interesting produce? How 'bout a good quick burger? Want to buy a book? Want to buy a pair of pants? Most of the time you'll find yourself driving 20min or more.

I'm a bit perplexed by this description. There are things you can't find nearby, but its not nearly this bad. Defintely one of the best areas in NC. From the efficiency apartments or the "green" development, to get:

posterboard -- Art supply store ~4 blocks. CVS pharmacy ~3 blocks

Interesting produce -- Asian grocer, 2 blocks. latino grocer, 1.5 blocks. Weaver Street Co-op, 3 blocks. harris Teeter, ~4 blocks. Biweekly Farmers Market, 8 blocks.

books -- Used book store, ~5 blocks. Comic book store ~5 blocks.

Quick Hamburger -- Wendy's, ~5 blocks

Good Hamburger -- Elmo's, ~4 blocks

I'll admit, the others get more difficult.

with pants, there's not much between thriftshops and the Franklin St. Boutiques.

For shelves, its either thrift stores or the fairly pricey Rigsbee-Higgens(?).

Printer ink? yeah, you got me. But hey, at least the buses are free.

Hi. I live in Carrboro, within a 10-minute walk or 3-minute bus ride or 4 minute bike ride of Weaver Street Market. It is true- the Triangle is mostly a sea of crap as far as development goes. However, Chapel Hill and Carrboro do have the longest continuous corridor of active urbanism in the region, and it functions quite well.

I thoroughly disagree that Chapel Hill/Carrboro is inconvenient. Yes, I have to drive to Durham to buy pants, but I buy pants once a year.

Beyond that, finding what you need is a matter of looking carefully. Hardware? Fitch's Lumber, Southern States, and the one on Franklin St. All bike/walk accessible. Most shopping needs? Local retail on Franklin and Main St or University Mall/Eastgate. (the latter two are bike-accessible and on CHT's free bus routes) Printer Ink? Staples is next to Eastgate/Whole Foods, on the bus route. There are dentists and doctors in town galore.

We have an excellent running/footwear store in fleet feet sports.

Housing in the area is out of sight pricewise unless you look in some of the neighborhoods with lower incomes. Right now, I'm renting by choice. However, if you are hunting for your own space, check www.terranovaglobal.com- they're local and may be able to help.

I'll but it bluntly- the life it sounds like you are looking for is practically nonexistent in the Triangle out of Chapel Hill/Carrboro. If you are interested in new Urbanist communities, there are only 2 true such communities in the region, both are in Chapel Hill. They are called Southern Village and Meadowmont. Use Google, you'll find a lot. I tend to prefer Southern Village- it's older by a few years, maturing, has a Weaver Street Market store and a movie theater. Some of the condos there, while pricey, seem to be chronically up for sale. Check em out and talk'em down!

here's a thread that's been discussing downtown CH developments. I would say shortbread lofts are probably your best bet too, unless the city get's moving a bit faster on the redevelopment of parking lots 5 and 2. This 'green' development might also be a possibility if you're looking longer term.

For the short term, there are a lot of possibilities for rentals. If affordability is an issue, right across the street from the 'green' development is a very recently completed 3 story 'efficiency' apartment building, where I think small loft style apartments go for about 400-450 a month. I've been meaning to post a picture of it for a while, but am having camera troubles. This neighborhood is within easy walking distance of UNC and Weaver Street, though it is a bit rougher than other areas of UNC. More edgy possibilities include the 2 nearby latino markets which rent apartments above them for pretty affordable rates.

I'm a bit perplexed by this description. There are things you can't find nearby, but its not nearly this bad. Defintely one of the best areas in NC. From the efficiency apartments or the "green" development, to get:

Interesting produce -- Asian grocer, 2 blocks. latino grocer, 1.5 blocks. Weaver Street Co-op, 3 blocks. harris Teeter, ~4 blocks. Biweekly Farmers Market, 8 blocks.

I'll admit, the others get more difficult.

with pants, there's not much between thriftshops and the Franklin St. Boutiques.

For shelves, its either thrift stores or the fairly pricey Rigsbee-Higgens(?).

Printer ink? yeah, you got me. But hey, at least the buses are free.

Ha ha!! Let me address these:

All were out, unless I wanted to buy $9 artist's magic markers

All I know is that in 1996 (when I live there), on a typical day, it was basically HT, maaaybe Weaver St. But I had a horrible horrible horrible time ever finding ripe avacados at all times of the year.

UGH!! Where do I go to buy This Old House, Bon Apetit, and Cooks Illustrated along with a book about solving the rubik's 5x5 cube!!!!

WORST WENDY'S IN THE CHAIN - EASILY Repeated sanitation problems, horrible services, bad food.

Elmos is neat and has good stuff, but the hamburger is average. Spring Garden, now THAT was a burger.

Living in East CH I had a much easier time finding these "typical" kinds of things.

If you are interested in new Urbanist communities, there are only 2 true such communities in the region, both are in Chapel Hill. They are called Southern Village and Meadowmont.

Oops. I'm sorry. I mean really good ol urbanist. I've found ''new urbanist'' to be often sort of suburban type places anchored by upscale franchises within walking distance.

I'd be interested in those efficiencies mentioned above, if anyone has a name or email I can contact. I'm not sure what the rental days are - in Madison the entire city's rents switch over in mid august.

It sounds like this corridor is the right one for me, agreed. Is there a big difference between the Carrboro and Chapel Hill sides? Are there post-collegiate hang-outs and stuff around Chapel Hill, or do folks just go to Durham for that?

Thanks everyone; I'm learning a lot this way.

NDN

Actually there is an imaginary line of demarcation where undergrads generally don't pass-west of the corner of Franklin and Columbia Streets. I have to say that West Franklin into Carrboro is my preference. East Franklin definitely caters to the undergrad/tourist crowd. West Franklin/Carrboro is more of the locals/grad students/professionals area.

I also agree with DanRNC about the decidedly grad student/older vibe towards the west end of Chapel Hill into East Carrboro.

It's always funny to see undergrads that "find" Weaver Street Market like it's this amazing, rosetta-stone-esque discovery that they have to tell all their friends about.

anyone know anything about renaissance park in raleigh

Renaissance Park is a new neighborhood being built off S. Wilmington St. and Tryon Rd. On the site of the old Raleigh municipal airport. Wakefield Development is the developer. Neo-Traditional style, mixed use development. Mostly residential with some office and retail. It's not urban living, but it's not suburban either. More trying to reproduce the inner neighborhoods around downtown. Condominiums, Townhomes, and various single family homes on narrow lots.

Should improve the gateway to downtown from the south. Especially if the old "Pack & Save" property gets torn down and re-developed. Great for people wanting the urban experience and proximity to DT, but with a small yard of their own. It should have tremendous potential to spur development on the southern fringe of DT.

do you know if there will be any craftsman bungalow style homes

No. Actually the developer wants the architecture to be georgian, federalist, italianate, colonial revival like the older homes around New Bern. Probably no craftsman or european. They are trying to build around this whole Tryon Palace theme. The clubhouse will be a smaller version of the Tryon Palace.

Archived