Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

Thanks for the input everyone. And I didn't mean to imply that downtown Raleigh is chronically unsafe, its the incident plus the lack of current activity that leads me to look elsewhere. I'm going to stay on the list for Site 1, and see how that goes. As for Chapel Hill, I love it but it isn't a "business" address. In order, we would need a Raleigh, a RTP, or a Durham address and Durham barely makes the list. I'm going to meet with Kane Residential tuesday and see what they have planned for Lassiter and for the expansion across the street. If they get a permit for a pedestrian bridge that would be great!

I did note that no one urged me to jump on Soleil Center. I take it from the other forum page its somewhat of a sore subject. And I don't know that it qualifies as walkable anyway. But the hotel component is cool, we have them in Florida where you can have room service and/or maid service from the hotel!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input everyone. And I didn't mean to imply that downtown Raleigh is chronically unsafe, its the incident plus the lack of current activity that leads me to look elsewhere. I'm going to stay on the list for Site 1, and see how that goes. As for Chapel Hill, I love it but it isn't a "business" address. In order, we would need a Raleigh, a RTP, or a Durham address and Durham barely makes the list. I'm going to meet with Kane Residential tuesday and see what they have planned for Lassiter and for the expansion across the street. If they get a permit for a pedestrian bridge that would be great!

I did note that no one urged me to jump on Soleil Center. I take it from the other forum page its somewhat of a sore subject. And I don't know that it qualifies as walkable anyway. But the hotel component is cool, we have them in Florida where you can have room service and/or maid service from the hotel!

I'm intrigued by your comment that Chapel Hill isn't a "business" address like Raleigh or RTP, with Durham being so-so. Can you elaborate?

As for me, it's probably clear from the other thread, but I'd pay you to shoot me in the eye with a high-power staple gun before I'd live in the Soleil center. But there are others here with different preferences and priorities who think it's pretty cool.

I'm intrigued by your comment that Chapel Hill isn't a "business" address like Raleigh or RTP, with Durham being so-so. Can you elaborate?

As for me, it's probably clear from the other thread, but I'd pay you to shoot me in the eye with a high-power staple gun before I'd live in the Soleil center. But there are others here with different preferences and priorities who think it's pretty cool.

We're investment bankers. Cities that "suit" our kind of work are New York, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. In the southeast, Atlanta and Charlotte are the two main cities. Raleigh, with all its national press, is starting to fit the profile. So when I'm in Vegas at a convention, how do I answer the question "where is your office"? If I say Raleigh, most people would recognize it. But if I say Chapel Hill, Cary, or Durham, unless they are an ACC fan they may not recognize it. This is all I meant by that comment. Lovely cities all, but we need to be in a "recognized" location. If I was content to drive to work, I'd live in Chatham county, maybe in the Hills of Rosemont, or near the lake. But I'm tired of sitting behind the wheel.

We're investment bankers. Cities that "suit" our kind of work are New York, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. In the southeast, Atlanta and Charlotte are the two main cities. Raleigh, with all its national press, is starting to fit the profile. So when I'm in Vegas at a convention, how do I answer the question "where is your office"? If I say Raleigh, most people would recognize it. But if I say Chapel Hill, Cary, or Durham, unless they are an ACC fan they may not recognize it. This is all I meant by that comment. Lovely cities all, but we need to be in a "recognized" location. If I was content to drive to work, I'd live in Chatham county, maybe in the Hills of Rosemont, or near the lake. But I'm tired of sitting behind the wheel.

Wow. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems sad that in your industry you need to have the right address to be taken seriously at a convention. If you could afford to live in the Hills at Rosemont, you're obviously very good at what you do! If that's how the industry operates though, I'd set up shop in Raleigh for address visibility. I'd encourage you to give downtown Raleigh another shot, at least for your office. Come back during the daytime and check it out again. The place really is turning the corner.

Yo transitman. Think if I told you I live in Castle Rock, CO would you know where that is. Probably not. Or if I said I live in Denver, CO would you know where that is? Of course. Name/City recognition is important in many industries. Would like to have on the bottom of your stationary New York, Miami, Las Vegas, Chicago, Castle Rock, CO. Of course not. They would know you have an office in CO, but not in Denver. By the way Castle Rock is a suburb of Denver.

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow forumers,

I'm glad I clicked on the coffee house thread, as I didn't know there was a thread on relocation. I was born in Fayetteville, and travelled extensively to Raleigh over my 40 years. Along the way, I have lived in Charlotte, Columbia SC, and Orlando FL. Currently I own a condo in South Beach, and have grown to enjoy the ability to walk to a variety of shops and entertainment. Circumstances demand that we open an office in the triangle, and the "where" is somewhat up to me. My plans are to live very near the office and quit driving 10 miles each way as I do now, and the idea of a mixed use building appeals to me as we might have the office there as well. I met with someone from White Oak Properties about the new Site 1 developement, but of course it is over 2 years away. So this weekend, I went condo hunting in downtown Raleigh with the idea that we'd just sign a 2-3 year lease on an office in an existing building until Site 1 or RBC is finished. Here the story takes a turn.

I visited the Hudson sunday afternoon, and other than being empty it had an appeal. I thought I would look at living on the Fayetteville Street Mall and get used to it before the new buildings were built. The chap that showed me around told me about all the new development planned, including a redo of Wilmington St. I liked that the arts district was within walking distance, etc. At about 5 I left the building and walked Fayetteville street, and saw the potential. I was walking back to my car, which was parked on Wilmington St., when it happened. I realized I was being followed. I looked behind me to see a young guy in a hooded sweatshirt approaching me with his hand behind his back. I quickly unlocked the car and got in, cranked, and started to pull of. He crossed the street right behind me and vanished down the side of one of the older buildings that front Wilmington behind the Hudson.

I have realized I'm just not an urban pioneer. I have never felt unsafe walking the block from my South Beach condo to the famous Lincoln road. But I'm just not ready to deal with this sort of thing in Downtown Raleigh. In the mean time, I've started looking online at Soleil Center and the Lassiter. I don't think the south Glenwood scene is for me, I'm a bit older than the crowd there, and I need to be in a business area (we are investment bankers). Dawson, etc seem to be only close to a handful of things, and would involve a car to get most places I like, and I don't think I would like the traffic noise on the weekends with the big dance clubs nearby (no prejudices though, in a younger day I have been inside Legends).

At the risk of sounding immodest, I haven't seen anything planned in Raleigh that would be outside of my price range. Any sage advice on the two above, or anything I may have missed?

Thanks folks!

Let me say this in a blunt friendly way Downtown Raleigh is one of the safest parts of our city and is up and coming if that man wanted to cause you any harm believe me he would have not let you make it to your car,i wasn't their but i know when am in a another city and don't know the area i might feel alittle jumpy and am six four two hundred and seventy one pounds of man, also you don't come cross to me as being gay i could be wrong about that,but did you know that lengends is a gay club ,but anyway' i say this in a friendly way' please learn about downtown raleigh more before you make final plans, also you may these area's, Boylan Heights they have some nice projects being built like Bloomsbury estates and boylan flats i think you might like these condo's. :):)

• 3 months later...

hi guys im new on here... so sorry if this is a repeat... but i couldn't find what i am looking for...

I am a young single female... looking to move to raleigh in a few months. i will be visiting for just a couple days at the end of the month. Any input on which neighborhoods i should take a closer look at to possibly live in. I am from Southern California... dont hold that against me :)... but am looking for somewhere not super conservative and suburby, but still clean and safe, with some character and charm, but close to a "busier" part of town... i hear it's pretty mellow out there from what i am used to, so "busy" would be relative i guess. I'd like to be close to nice coffee houses/bars/bookshops, and love tree lined streets, which doesn't seem like it would be to hard to find out there :). Any input would be great!!! Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum pariayazi. I have moved your post to this thread so that all similar requests & responses from other people can be found in the same place.

Coming from California, I your concept of affordability is probably a good bit different from ours - and that should probably put some very nice places squarely into your price range. As a single person, are you looking to buy or rent? Are you looking for a detached home, townhome, condominium, or apartment?

As far as neighborhoods ITB (inside the beltline) are concerned, you might check out the area surrounding surrounding Cameron Village. Cameron Village is a late-1940s shopping center that strikes a pretty good balance between pedestrians and automobiles. The shopping center was recently renovated, and the neighborhood has gone a bit more upscale in recent years, but it's far from a sterile, suburban, cul-de-sac environment.

You might also look for something around Five Points. That neighborhood heads a bit further upscale.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps we can provide a better answer if you provide us with a bit more info about what you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum pariayazi. I have moved your post to this thread so that all similar requests & responses from other people can be found in the same place.

Coming from California, I your concept of affordability is probably a good bit different from ours - and that should probably put some very nice places squarely into your price range. As a single person, are you looking to buy or rent? Are you looking for a detached home, townhome, condominium, or apartment?

As far as neighborhoods ITB (inside the beltline) are concerned, you might check out the area surrounding surrounding Cameron Village. Cameron Village is a late-1940s shopping center that strikes a pretty good balance between pedestrians and automobiles. The shopping center was recently renovated, and the neighborhood has gone a bit more upscale in recent years, but it's far from a sterile, suburban, cul-de-sac environment.

You might also look for something around Five Points. That neighborhood heads a bit further upscale.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps we can provide a better answer if you provide us with a bit more info about what you're looking for.

Thanks!! i have seem some of the previous posts now and see that maybe downtown Raleigh may fit the bill, but again, anything i could look into would be great to know about. i'll be sure to check out five points and cameron village.. Well finances are part of the reason i am leaving southern california... even with a 4 year degree, paying $1500/month for a 500 sq. foot studio is just not fun and pretty much sending me to the poorhouse as i still have student loans and other debt :) not to mention i am ready to get away from the cookie cutter houses and people around here, and hearing that raleigh is a very intelligent area is comforting in itself.... i am seriously considering purchasing a home, i would love to have somewhere secure, but since i am single, it can be a townhouse/condo or a single family home, but preferable smaller, but whether i purchase or rent the first couple years will ultimately depend on the job i score out there... i definitely would never afford to buy out here :) but either way i'd rather stay out of the traditional apartment complexes. i love historic homes and older houses, front porches/balconies and good neighbors, im used to being busy, so i'd like to be close to restaurants, places to walk around, breweries, shops etc and since im only in my early 20's i'd like to be in a mixed community, not all families with young children... i am a pretty middle of the road kinda person, but the reason i would be moving out there is to be in an area with a little more personality and character... somewhere charming and upbeat.. i dont know if that helps clarify or not... but thanks again!!

^ The newly renovated website for the Downtown Raleigh Alliance has a great section on housing now for the downtown area...including apts, condos, etc.

Go to www.downtownraleigh.org and hit the category tab "Living in Downtown" to get some great options to look into. These are mostly apartment buildings that have over a certain number of units though...smaller buildings tend to advertise on craigslist.org or triangle.com or indyweek.com classifieds. Hope this helps your search!!

Thanks!! i have seem some of the previous posts now and see that maybe downtown Raleigh may fit the bill, but again, anything i could look into would be great to know about. i'll be sure to check out five points and cameron village.. Well finances are part of the reason i am leaving southern california... even with a 4 year degree, paying $1500/month for a 500 sq. foot studio is just not fun and pretty much sending me to the poorhouse as i still have student loans and other debt :) not to mention i am ready to get away from the cookie cutter houses and people around here, and hearing that raleigh is a very intelligent area is comforting in itself.... i am seriously considering purchasing a home, i would love to have somewhere secure, but since i am single, it can be a townhouse/condo or a single family home, but preferable smaller, but whether i purchase or rent the first couple years will ultimately depend on the job i score out there... i definitely would never afford to buy out here :) but either way i'd rather stay out of the traditional apartment complexes. i love historic homes and older houses, front porches/balconies and good neighbors, im used to being busy, so i'd like to be close to restaurants, places to walk around, breweries, shops etc and since im only in my early 20's i'd like to be in a mixed community, not all families with young children... i am a pretty middle of the road kinda person, but the reason i would be moving out there is to be in an area with a little more personality and character... somewhere charming and upbeat.. i dont know if that helps clarify or not... but thanks again!!

Based on the parts I bolded above, do not even THINK about living in:

Cary

Apex

North Raleigh

Garner

Knightdale

Wendell

Clayton

Most of Wake Forest (the new parts)

At the locations above, you'll find all the stuff you're trying to get away from in CA, an overabundance of chain dining, new houses that all look the same because they were all built by 4-5 companies, and with the exception of Cary, ankle-deep cultural stuff at best.

Five points, Mordecai, Oakwood, Downtown Raleigh-- all good suggestions. Elsewhere in the region you might consider Old West Durham, Trinity Park/9th St area, Downtown Durham, downtown Chapel Hill, or Carrboro.

Based on the parts I bolded above, do not even THINK about living in:

Cary

Apex

North Raleigh

Garner

Knightdale

Wendell

Clayton

Most of Wake Forest (the new parts)

At the locations above, you'll find all the stuff you're trying to get away from in CA, an overabundance of chain dining, new houses that all look the same because they were all built by 4-5 companies, and with the exception of Cary, ankle-deep cultural stuff at best.

Five points, Mordecai, Oakwood, Downtown Raleigh-- all good suggestions. Elsewhere in the region you might consider Old West Durham, Trinity Park/9th St area, Downtown Durham, downtown Chapel Hill, or Carrboro.

thanks transitman!! and others who have responded, seems like you actually understand what i am looking for... that helps so much when i am looking for places to stay... i feel as though the realtors tend to try to push the "cookie cutter new homes" in the areas you have mentioned for me to stay out of, which i agree seem to be places i wouldn't be too happy with right now and when i explain that i dont want that, i dont get a whole lot of response otherwise, especially for my price range (for buying a home)<200K (renting)<850 for a 2 bed...... a couple questions i had that maybe people could answer. First, the places that you mentioned, i have noticed that they are much more expensive, probably for good reason :) but that makes it a lot harder to find something that i would be able to afford, especially since i dont know what my salary will be out there... or maybe im not looking in the right places, do you know if there are older fixer up homes in those areas or townhomes/condos/smaller residences that are more affordable for a single person pretty fresh in the job world? generally seems that things are about 50%-100% more expensive in those areas.. any suggestions? also, it would help if anyone knows the zip codes that encompass those areas, there are so many different ones that come up when you search for the areas, or since i know zip codes sometimes cross over good and bad areas, are there street boundaries that i should stay within/away from? i know it's hard to answer these questions... i will be out there next week for a couple days and hopefully will have a better grasp on what i want!! and questions i have... Thanks so much for all your input so far!

thanks transitman!! and others who have responded, seems like you actually understand what i am looking for... that helps so much when i am looking for places to stay... i feel as though the realtors tend to try to push the "cookie cutter new homes" in the areas you have mentioned for me to stay out of, which i agree seem to be places i wouldn't be too happy with right now and when i explain that i dont want that, i dont get a whole lot of response otherwise, especially for my price range (for buying a home)<200K (renting)<850 for a 2 bed...... a couple questions i had that maybe people could answer. First, the places that you mentioned, i have noticed that they are much more expensive, probably for good reason :) but that makes it a lot harder to find something that i would be able to afford, especially since i dont know what my salary will be out there... or maybe im not looking in the right places, do you know if there are older fixer up homes in those areas or townhomes/condos/smaller residences that are more affordable for a single person pretty fresh in the job world? generally seems that things are about 50%-100% more expensive in those areas.. any suggestions? also, it would help if anyone knows the zip codes that encompass those areas, there are so many different ones that come up when you search for the areas, or since i know zip codes sometimes cross over good and bad areas, are there street boundaries that i should stay within/away from? i know it's hard to answer these questions... i will be out there next week for a couple days and hopefully will have a better grasp on what i want!! and questions i have... Thanks so much for all your input so far!

I would first suggest using www.ysu.com's residential search page. This provides an easy way to specify by neighborhood. I find this better (sometimes) than a straight zipcode search.

Five Points: 27608

Cameron Park/University area: 27605

Mordecai: 27604

I'm sorry to say, from my experience that finding anything below $200k in Raleigh will be difficult at best. At least at the older, established, non-sprawl neighborhoods. There are virtually no homes ready for renovation Inside the Beltline, at least none that I'd want.

Good Luck! Another good resource I've used is www.peterrumsey.com . Its a realtors website but will give you a good idea whats available.

I agree zipcodes are not reliable way to look up info around here. I'd go with neighorhood, vicinity, etc.

For example, the beautiful historic Boylan Heights neighborhood on the western end of downtown, with it's fantastic 1920s bungalow and other historic homes is in the 27603 zip code. But that zip stretches from there, includes some ratty housing projects, then goes down to some sprawling suburban areas, and eventually stretches to get some rural farmland. :wacko: It's nuts!!

For a good listing of Raleigh's nice/trendy neighborhoods inside-the-beltline, I've found a good resource: http://www.paulsetliff.com/hoods/historichoods.htm It's done by some real estate agent....I know nothing about him, I just like the site as a resource.

For a good listing of Raleigh's nice/trendy neighborhoods inside-the-beltline, I've found a good resource: http://www.paulsetliff.com/hoods/historichoods.htm It's done by some real estate agent....I know nothing about him, I just like the site as a resource.

Wow-that's a terrific "lay of the land" for Raleigh. Relocators should definitely check it out.

Wow-that's a terrific "lay of the land" for Raleigh. Relocators should definitely check it out.

Thanks Raleigh Rob!! that will be a very useful website.... The areas you all have mentioned are definitely more my style of housing and i greatly appreciate the help!! now at least i know what i need to work toward... :) i probably wont be able to afford that now, so even if i do end up living in some outside of the beltline suburban housing for a while, i'll know where to spend my weekends and narrow down areas for the future when i'll be able to afford it!! Thanks everyone! Leaving for my drive out there tomorrow, im sure i'll love it :) have a great weekend!

I agree zipcodes are not reliable way to look up info around here. I'd go with neighorhood, vicinity, etc.

For example, the beautiful historic Boylan Heights neighborhood on the western end of downtown, with it's fantastic 1920s bungalow and other historic homes is in the 27603 zip code. But that zip stretches from there, includes some ratty housing projects, then goes down to some sprawling suburban areas, and eventually stretches to get some rural farmland. :wacko: It's nuts!!

that last reply was suppose to be in response to your input! im not too good with the forum system, sorry!

i probably wont be able to afford that now, so even if i do end up living in some outside of the beltline suburban housing for a while, i'll know where to spend my weekends and narrow down areas for the future when i'll be able to afford it!!

I assume you're looking to buy a house instead of renting... then yeah those neighborhoods may be priced a bit high.

But not all inside-the-beltline areas are very pricey. On that link, go to the bottom to a button that says "beltline burbs" and hit that...it'll give you map:

Most of those yellow neighborhoods, weren't listed on the page before....they're somewhat more affordable.

Example: On the east side of downtown, along newbern ave, there's a neighborhood called Longview and Lakewood. They still have nice houses there in the mid to upper '100s.

There are others...so don't assume they're all outrageously pricy.

I assume you're looking to buy a house instead of renting... then yeah those neighborhoods may be priced a bit high.

But not all inside-the-beltline areas are very pricey. On that link, go to the bottom to a button that says "beltline burbs" and hit that...it'll give you map:

Most of those yellow neighborhoods, weren't listed on the page before....they're somewhat more affordable.

Example: On the east side of downtown, along newbern ave, there's a neighborhood called Longview and Lakewood. They still have nice houses there in the mid to upper '100s.

There are others...so don't assume they're all outrageously pricy.

That's great to know, thanks... how about the area just outside of the beltline passed mordecai, to the east a bit... 27604, looks like not more than 5 minutes outside of the innerloop, there are a few golf-based communities with some really cute houses that are more affordable, i think it's called Hedingham?, do you have any info on that area, just in terms of safety/demographics and how easy it is to just pop into town from there, i saw a couple homes that i loved there... small but very old fashioned, could be a starting point.

Outside of the beltline is mostly very suburban. Especially on or around the golf courses. A lot of the "action" in downtown Raleigh is on the west side of downtown (in areas like Glenwood South and the communities near NC State). That's just my suggestion based on what you've said you're looking for. Then again, I think housing anywhere near there is going to be pretty high if you're looking to purchase.

If you're feeling adventurous, there are still downtown-area condos on the market in the $150k-200k range in Durham. I'd be happy to give you the name of my realtor if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Outside of the beltline is mostly very suburban. Especially on or around the golf courses. A lot of the "action" in downtown Raleigh is on the west side of downtown (in areas like Glenwood South and the communities near NC State). That's just my suggestion based on what you've said you're looking for. Then again, I think housing anywhere near there is going to be pretty high if you're looking to purchase.

If you're feeling adventurous, there are still downtown-area condos on the market in the $150k-200k range in Durham. I'd be happy to give you the name of my realtor if you're interested.

Thanks to everyone for all the input, i ended up finding an area that i did like a lot just outside of the beltline, but inside of the 540 on the north/west side of Raleigh basically from NCSU up toward the 70 and just east of it, close to that big state park... i forget the name. A little suburby, but nothing compared to what i am in now, so it'll be a step in the right direction and so much greener!! i did notice that about the only "action" i saw at all was off glenwood south near a pub called hibernian, but it was mid week. I didn't get to look around too much unfortunately cause i got there the same day at Hurricane Ernesto and got chased out a day early :) but i did see quite a bit for just a day and even got to drive around durham/chapel hill. I figure the west side of Raleigh is close enough to everything for me, short drive to Durham/chapel hill and downtown Raleigh and even though there are a ton of cookie cutter homes, there are still older ones that add character. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all, i'll explore more when i move out there this spring. Any advise on where someone out of school but young and single can meet potential friends since i'll be moving out there alone and pretty much just be working all the time, besides bars! any good organizations/clubs to join?

Well UP'ers, it's me again, the guy that still thinks he was nearly mugged behind the Hudson a couple of months ago. I was in the fair city of Raleigh again this afternoon, a sunday, and my first visit since the opening of Fayetteville St. Is it possible for the glass to be half full and half empty? There was definitely more activity, many people strolling the new streetscape. But there was absolutely nothing open on the mall. I thought Port City Java was, as a digital sign proclaimed, but apparently it had been left on. I did venture a bit beyond the Fay. St. area, and saw some activity around Blount Street with a restaurant, etc. I guess the activity will come when there are more people, and vice versa. I did, however, get panhandled within minutes of starting my stroll.

I'm on the waiting list for Site One, and I'd still like to know more about RBC. It seems like it will be a nice place in 2008, but I'm still a bit concerned about living there now. Comments?

Archived