Favorite Mall in SC?

perrykat

Just wondering, what are your favorite shopping malls in SC? Mine are

Columbiana Center - Columbia

Greenville Mall - Greenville

Haywood Mall - Greenville

Coastal Grand - Myrtle Beach

I've never been to one of the malls in Charleston before :whistling: I'm sure there are nice ones there too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the recently remodeled Briarcliff mall in Myrtle Beach as it has a nice new Bass Pro Outdoor World attached. The new Tanger outlet mall (one of 2) is really nice too. There is more adventure to it than what you see in a regular mall.

They're calling that one the Colonial Mall now.

It may be a hometown bias, but I am rather fond of Westgate in Spartanburg. My all-time favorite mall in Spartanburg was Hillcrest mall. In its day it was a pretty cool place. I was a big fan of Flickers (the arcade).

Haywood is decent. They have a good variety of stores, but I can't stand the layout. I find it slightly confusing and the stairs are very inconvenient. The removal of that center court was a good step though.

Charleston's Northwoods Mall is nothing spectacular. I find it rather irritating becuase its a large "L" shape. I've not been to the Citadel Mall.

In Columbia I'd have to say that Dutch Square is one of my favorites. Its not a spectacular mall, but that shopping center was very convenient to downtown and had a variety of stores in attatched to it, even though they arent technically 'in the mall.' I found myself going there way more than I ever went to Columbiana (which is a miserable excuse for a mall IMO). They have an office supply store or two, some basic chain restaurants and fast food, and a nice AMC movie theater. It was pretty much everything I needed.

I also like Columbia Place. It has a good layout. Too bad its not very convenient.

My favorite mall structure is Richland. It is by far the most urban mall in SC, and it reminds me of Lenox Square in Atlanta/Buckhead. It had parking decks all around and the movie theater on top. It was an awsome mall, even though there wasn't anything worth going to inside of it except Fridays and B&N. Its both sad and exciting to learn more about its conversion into this Midtown development. I hope they can pull that off.

I just stumbled across a website and it ranked malls. Out of four stars, Haywood Mall was the only one to receive four stars. No Columbia mall received higher than a two and Charleston's malls got threes.

Just thought that this was interesting. Granted not ALL malls were listed, but for Columbia, Charleston and Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson- the main shopping malls were listed. The only city missing out on a Mall listing that could be significant was Myrtle Beach.

I've only been to 3 SC malls so I'll rank them as followed:

Haywood Mall

Columbia Place

Columbiana

I like Haywood the most because it had a little upscale feel too it, but was still casual. Kinda like Southpark but more in my range. Columbia Place remind's me of a smaller version of Hanes Mall. And Columbiana was nice but needs to be expanded.

~*100 Post*~

Charleston's two remaining traditional malls Northwoods and Citadel could do for some major expansions. Both are situated in high-growth areas with great potential.

Haywood is definitely my choice for best mall in the state. Next up for me would be Northwoods(has certain specialty shops I like,) Citadel and Columbiana. The best shopping in Charleston is not at the malls though thats for sure.

• 4 months later...

My favorite mall structure is Richland. It is by far the most urban mall in SC, and it reminds me of Lenox Square in Atlanta/Buckhead. It had parking decks all around and the movie theater on top. It was an awsome mall, even though there wasn't anything worth going to inside of it except Fridays and B&N. Its both sad and exciting to learn more about its conversion into this Midtown development. I hope they can pull that off.

I agree that Richland Mall had one of the best designs with it being urbanesque. I always enjoyed going to the theater on the rooftop but if only it had some attractive retail. I never understood why it couldn't attract better or exclusive to Columbia stores considering it's surrounding market.

Archived