Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSP Tiger

Former Westgate Lowe's & Best Buy Redevelopment

I'm content knowing that something is being planned for the site. That Best Buy is going to be a hard sell, I think.

I could see the area transformed into something like The Shops at Greenridge, but I wonder what stores are left that Spartanburg does not have yet. The old Lowe's would be good for an Old Time Pottery and a Borders if divided up.

I hope the the Greenridge thing doesn't happen in Spartanburg. I'm sure it will sooner or later, as Spartanburg has a tendancy to take part in trends that seem good, but in actuality are not.

As for stores? Greenville has more stores than Spartanburg, so I am sure that they could come up with some for a similar thing in Spartanburg.

I could see the area transformed into something like The Shops at Greenridge, but I wonder what stores are left that Spartanburg does not have yet. The old Lowe's would be good for an Old Time Pottery and a Borders if divided up.

The old Lowe's at Crownpoint in Charlotte became an Old Time Pottery

Well, I care because its my town and I want to see quality development come to the area. However, I know the area well enough to know what form the future for that site will be in. Regardless of what the big box is, I would rather see the site occupied than vacant. The lesson with the former Kmart on Garner Rd is one that we should learn from. One thing that has impressed me with Spartanburg is that it said a few years ago that it was going to target the empty big boxes for redevelopment. And it happened. Most of the empty boxes from that time are filled in or replaced now.

Heaven forbid a new development similar to The Shops at Greenridge take shape at this site! Woodruff Rd. in Greenville can barely handle the traffic that Shops creates and one can only imagine how bad traffic would be in Spartanburg. Unless things have changed, I remember how poorly designed the entrance to Lowe's/Best Buy used to be with that entry off of Hwy. 29!

I cannot disagree with you on the traffic. Tyring to eixt onto 29 north from either direction of 26 and making lane changes towards Westgate Mall can take forever. Whoever redevelops the site, if anytime soon, should take steps to improve the traffic situation to some extent.

Having taking over a former store location (i.e. Stein Mart in Anderson), could hhgregg easily occupy the former Best Buy? I have not followed up with their Spartanburg plans in awhile.

I sent hhgregg an email about that, and they would not give me a straight answer. But its evident that they are looking into puttin gsomething somewhere.