Duncan Park

GSP Tiger

Duncan Park is a well known baseball field in the area. It has not fared well in years because of its aging and structural problems. I can barely recall seeing the Phillies play there in the 80s.

The Crickets are relocating over to USC Upstate's Spartanburg campus...

Link: Crickets leaving Duncan Park

Spartanburg, SC Herald-Journal (02-Dec-2005)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its sort of a catch 22. Its not used because its rundown, but the city wont fix it up because its not used enough.

The city will have to spend money in order to make money. No one will come unless the facilities are improved. I dislike seeing it continue to decay in its present state, but there us nothing that can be done currently.

I totally agree with everything written thus far about Duncan Park stadium. However, I'm afraid if the city tears it down we will one day regret it just like we now regret the demolition of the old County Court House (1959), the Andrews Building (1977), The Franklin Hotel (1988), and the Cleveland Hotel (1997). These were proud and historic structures that today would probably be renovated and playing an active role in the city's renaissance.

true that... it would be more than just a shame to tear it down, i hope this isnt anything that anyone is actually considering. i agree, we've already torn down enough buildings that should have been saved. but i realize its hard to be able to get the funds to do what really should be done with some of our landmarks.

Archived