Greenville Corridor Revitalization

RestedTraveler

Greenville Corridor Revitalization  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Primary Corridor into Downtown Greenville is in Greatest Need of Revitalization?

• Augusta Road
    • Academy Street / Easley Bridge Road
    • Poinsett Highway
    • Laurens Road
    • Wade-Hampton Boulevard
    • Church Street / Mills Avenue
    • Pleasantburg Drive (Not a Corridor into Downtown, but Still Important)
    • Anderson Street / Anderson Road

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I choose Church St. because

1) it has already started, and the city needs to finish what it starts, before taking on any additional corridors like Wade Hampton IMO

2) it has the potential to convert the quickiest IMO, which would bring credibility to the cities other efforts

3) it's close proximity to the westside would benefit that area as well

4) improvements in this area would augment the crown jewel, downtown, because Church St. runs directly into DT.

5) revitialization would be easier because of the proximity to downtown, which is by all accounts doing well.

^ I agree that Church Street would probably be the easiest, but Laurens Road would run a close second. It already has some solid upscale business (Land Rover, Ducati, Ear Shot and a good mix of diverse restaurants....Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Vegetarian, etc). It's on the way to ICAR and it's on the way to Golden Strip. It crosses Pleasantburg, which is a focus corridor and intersects Haywood and Woodruff (which is being 4-Laned).

Church and Laurens are probably the two easiest, but I think the most needy is Poinsett. This stretch south of Cherrydale is in dire need. Also as this is the main road into the tourist ares of the mountains, it doesn't leave a very good impression when passing through.

^

Church and Laurens are probably the two easiest, but I think the most needy is Poinsett. This stretch south of Cherrydale is in dire need. Also as this is the main road into the tourist ares of the mountains, it doesn't leave a very good impression when passing through.

Most of Poinsett is not in the city limits, at least now. Therefore, that pretty much precludes doing anything in that area until and unless there is an annexation. And even with annexation, it would be a little difficult politically to pour a ton of money into an area that only recently joined the city, when the other areas have been in the city for decades.

Your right, I didn't even notice it, but I should have choose Church St. first. Actually you could do Wade Hampton w/ Church St. since Wade Hampton turns into Church St.

But if and when Wade Hampton is Done, I think Stone should be as well. I think Stone should get the Main St. feel as well.

My vote may surprise you. :shok:

Although I think the Poinsett Highway between Stone Avenue and Cherrydale is the corridor in most dire need of attention, I realize that this is outside of the city limits (at this point in time). Additionally, I do agree with vicupstate that we need to finish what we start before taking on other projects.

That being said, I voted for Church Street / Mills Avenue for the following reasons:

• This is primary entry point into Downtown Greenville from I-85 for visitors coming from the West (Atlanta, etc.) as I-185 spills out directly onto Mills Avenue, which becomes Church Street.

• The City of Greenville has already put together a master plan for Haynie-Sirrine which includes Church Street and is taking steps to implement this plan.

• Growing the Central Business District beyond Main Street and the West End really depends on Church Street

I do still feel that the Poinsett Highway, once annexed into the city limits, should become a priority. As gsupstate stated, this road is a primary conduit between our visitors (and potential visitors) and the touristy areas to the north. In its current state, it does not leave a favorable impression. With any luck, it doesn't leave much of a memorable one at this time either. I'd like to see that change. I'd like to see this corridor transformed to where it leaves both a favorable and lasting memorable impression for visitors and residents alike. :thumbsup:

I voted for church street to help maintain the momentum of the renovations going on in the area at this time. But I feel that the city has great potential to grow on the west and needs to be better connect to this side of town. So I would have voted to improve Washington street in front of the main post office if it was on the list.

My vote may surprise you. :shok:

Although I think the Poinsett Highway between Stone Avenue and Cherrydale is the corridor in most dire need of attention, I realize that this is outside of the city limits (at this point in time). Additionally, I do agree with vicupstate that we need to finish what we start before taking on other projects.

That being said, I voted for Church Street / Mills Avenue for the following reasons:

• This is primary entry point into Downtown Greenville from I-85 for visitors coming from the West (Atlanta, etc.) as I-185 spills out directly onto Mills Avenue, which becomes Church Street.

• The City of Greenville has already put together a master plan for Haynie-Sirrine which includes Church Street and is taking steps to implement this plan.

• Growing the Central Business District beyond Main Street and the West End really depends on Church Street

I do still feel that the Poinsett Highway, once annexed into the city limits, should become a priority. As gsupstate stated, this road is a primary conduit between our visitors (and potential visitors) and the touristy areas to the north. In its current state, it does not leave a favorable impression. With any luck, it doesn't leave much of a memorable one at this time either. I'd like to see that change. I'd like to see this corridor transformed to where it leaves both a favorable and lasting memorable impression for visitors and residents alike. :thumbsup:

I voted for Church Street as well, and I totally agree with RT on this. It's tremendously important because people entering downtown from I-85 via I-185 must go down Mills and Church. Currently, there are stretches that are less than desirable and pleasing. The master plan for Haynie-Sirrine, plus improvements such as the Brio and Lofts at Mills Mill, are excellent starts. I'm really excited about Haynie-Sirrine.

Laurens Rd is pretty bad, but its not as bad as Easley Bridge. That corridor is not very well kept. I am not sure what kind of traffic it gets, but its usually pretty packed during rush hour. The area around White Horse Rd is a gateway to Greenville, so to speak, and its fairly disgusting. I guess that is the 'Welcome' community. There are some shops on the corner there that could be something cool one day. This is, of course, and outsider's perspective. I often associate Greenville's westside with Spartanburg's southside.

All are vital corridors that need vital improvements.

Anderson Street/Anderson Road was once the highly travelled road from Greenville to Anderson before 29 and 85. It is dangerous to drive though there from Pendleton to White Horse Rd because of moderate sketchy areas. I would like to see Anderson Road/Street widened to four lanes fron Andrews Street into Pendleton, and possibly extended over to South Academy.

Easley Bridge Road is almost in the same area and has the same problems as Anderson Road, but it is to a lesser extent. The overpass over White Horse Rd was repalced years ago, and has helped traffic flow. The road could be widened some what and use a green median for a more pleasant entrance from Easley incoming traffic.

I've got to agree with Spartan about Whitehorse; not exactly impressive. Not quite as bad as Bush River Road in Columbia though. *shivers*

There are definately worse roads than Bush River. I think the northern parts of N Main or maybe Decker Blvd would be more comparable to Whitehorse. Maybe the lower part of Two Notch too.

Pendelton Street (hwy 124) should be included along with the rest of these. The present and future developments will make this area one of the most important places to capitalize on further growth. I see this being one of the most pleasant entries into downtown in the future. Imagine directing visitors off of White Horse Road (U.S. 25) onto 124 into the blossoming artist colony in West Greenville, and on to the West End and urban Main Street. ;)

I chose Mills Ave/ Church St because of some of the reasons already mentioned. Along with I-385, it is one of the two main entrances into downtown from I-85. It is also a relatively short length of road that needs to be redeveloped compared to some of the other roads listed. Mills Ave between the Lofts and Augusta St is already pretty nice with the old homes being used as offices. I wish the city would start replacing some of the large oaks on Mills Ave that have been coming down in recent years. I guess I am somewhat biased since I live near Mills Ave and drive Church St every day. I think 123 coming in from Easley is another main entrance into downtown that could use some help, since it takes you right through one of the most run down sections of town.

With regards to Church St. I am sure many of you know already that Zaxby's purchased the old Burger King just past University Ridge. I talked to someone in their real estate department this week. That BK is being converted to Zaxby's, it is not a tear down and build new. Also, it will be open in 2-3 months.

Archived