Pleasant Ridge Town Center

mcheiss

I've heard some news on the Pleasant Ridge Town Center is expected to open Oct. 1, 2006.

The center at Cantrell Road between Pleasant Ridge and Woodland Heights roads will have:.

A 120,000-SF Parisian department store.

The Fresh Market Inc., an upscale grocery store.

Also, Fleming

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a lot of other places in West LR, they had to tear down a hill to make that happen which perturbed me. That whole Hwy 10 corridor has been blossoming lately with dozens of smaller projects we usually don't bother posting about.

I grew up in Walton Heights which is right across Hwy 10. In those days we didn't even have a stoplight there and you had to drive a few miles to Rodney Parham to even get fast food. If you've never been to Walton Heights, its' a big hill overlooking the river that runs parallel to it. The homes on top have beautiful views of the river valley and many have views of Pinnacle.

That is one thing I do like about Fayetteville is that they are trying to preserve the hills here. Although I'm sure it also helps drive away some development to other areas where it's easier to develop. especially in the flatter Benton County areas.

That is one thing I do like about Fayetteville is that they are trying to preserve the hills here. Although I'm sure it also helps drive away some development to other areas where it's easier to develop. especially in the flatter Benton County areas.

Ditto. Fayetteville's preserving the city's beauty.

In NLR they tore town a big hill near Wild River Country to build some kind of office park and it looks terrible.

The older parts of town are untouchable, though, and you'd have to tear fown a lot of hills there to change the landscape much, it's just about as hilly as you can get and still develop.

Ditto. Fayetteville's preserving the city's beauty.

In NLR they tore town a big hill near Wild River Country to build some kind of office park and it looks terrible.

The older parts of town are untouchable, though, and you'd have to tear fown a lot of hills there to change the landscape much, it's just about as hilly as you can get and still develop.

Sometime I've got to get some more info on North Little Rock. I'd like to eventually take some pics there too one of these days but I know even less about it than other places down there.

Sometime I've got to get some more info on North Little Rock. I'd like to eventually take some pics there too one of these days but I know even less about it than other places down there.

Just ask. If you've never been to Park Hill, Lakewood, or the Old Mill those are places you should visit. Fort Roots, which is the North Little Rock VA, is historic and has some beautiful views and is worth seeing. There's a lot less to see on that side of the river, though, and before I get attacked I can tell you I grew up there.

Just ask. If you've never been to Park Hill, Lakewood, or the Old Mill those are places you should visit. Fort Roots, which is the North Little Rock VA, is historic and has some beautiful views and is worth seeing. There's a lot less to see on that side of the river, though, and before I get attacked I can tell you I grew up there.

I wasn't sure but I assumed there wasn't as much there because I don't hear as much about it. Especially compared to Little Rock. But I really haven't been anywhere in North Little Rock. I do remember going to McCain Mall when I was still living in Pine Bluff over a decade ago.

I wasn't sure but I assumed there wasn't as much there because I don't hear as much about it. Especially compared to Little Rock. But I really haven't been anywhere in North Little Rock. I do remember going to McCain Mall when I was still living in Pine Bluff over a decade ago.

That area now has essentially every retail chain or chain restaurant known to man. McCain Mall's probably exactly the same as you remember it, though.

That area now has essentially every retail chain or chain restaurant known to man. McCain Mall's probably exactly the same as you remember it, though.

I grew up in North Little Rock as well. It is a great place and has grown a lot in the last decade as far as retail is concerned. McCain Mall is kind of ghetto. I would like to see them revamp the quality of stores in the mall or build an outdoor lifestyle center of some sort. For awhile, they were suppose to build THe SHoppes at North Hills with a Bass Pro Shop, but nothing ever surfaced on that. But anyhow, they do need additional stores.

I grew up in North Little Rock as well. It is a great place and has grown a lot in the last decade as far as retail is concerned. McCain Mall is kind of ghetto. I would like to see them revamp the quality of stores in the mall or build an outdoor lifestyle center of some sort. For awhile, they were suppose to build THe SHoppes at North Hills with a Bass Pro Shop, but nothing ever surfaced on that. But anyhow, they do need additional stores.

Most of the malls in Arkansas including NWA Mall, Hot Springs, and McCain as well as the mall in Ft Smith (name?) were built at the same time in same style. The ones in NWA and McCain get good stores but are very lacking in style and could use a redo. Simon doesn't like to spend its money on revamping, though.

Most of the malls in Arkansas including NWA Mall, Hot Springs, and McCain as well as the mall in Ft Smith (name?) were built at the same time in same style. The ones in NWA and McCain get good stores but are very lacking in style and could use a redo. Simon doesn't like to spend its money on revamping, though.

The NWA Mall was changed quite a bit when they expanded a while back ago. Can't remember when it was done over 5 years but wasn't 10 years ago. It was mainly north-south but they added a lot east-west and now that area of the mall is longer. Although I had hoped they would have done more than what they did. It's certainly no Park Plaza. I think they could have done a little more to make it look a bit nicer. More than just cosmetic changes to much of it.

I believe Ft. Smith's Mall is Central Mall.

I don't even know if the other one is still open. Seems like the name was Phoenix Village or something like that. It might have been spelled differently. But a decade ago it barely had any stores left in it. Not sure if it managed to hold on or not.

• 1 month later...

Website for the PRTC:

http://www.schickeldevelopment.com

This may have been posted here but I didn't find it in a quick search.

Found an article and a link to the project in a supplement to Shopping Centers Today January 2006 edition.

Funny how they tried to capitalize on the whole "Town Center" phenomenon in the name. It's more of a traditional shopping center, it doesn't utilize the features of the newer "Town Center" type developments at all.

Funny how they tried to capitalize on the whole "Town Center" phenomenon in the name. It's more of a traditional shopping center, it doesn't utilize the features of the newer "Town Center" type developments at all.

True. Its really just a retail strip at an advantageous intersection.

"Town Center" makes it sound so 'hip' and 'now'. Who cares about the details?

That reminds me of a goofy game I used to play with a friend of mine. The alphabet game with fictional subdivision names. Each name had to contain three of the following: A body of water, an animal, a natural landmark, a type of tree.

Examples: Pine Brook Meadows, Fox Lake Hills, Elm River Crossing.

The Utimate: Maple ArborBrook Landing at Elk Moutain Estates Crossing Woods, (phase two).

Stupid, but strangely entertaining.

I have to get out of Plano. :sick:

True. Its really just a retail strip at an advantageous intersection.

"Town Center" makes it sound so 'hip' and 'now'. Who cares about the details?

That reminds me of a goofy game I used to play with a friend of mine. The alphabet game with fictional subdivision names. Each name had to contain three of the following: A body of water, an animal, a natural landmark, a type of tree.

Examples: Pine Brook Meadows, Fox Lake Hills, Elm River Crossing.

The Utimate: Maple ArborBrook Landing at Elk Moutain Estates Crossing Woods, (phase two).

Stupid, but strangely entertaining.

I have to get out of Plano. :sick:

I'm a fan of the Southlake Town Square, that's a nice development. I could see something on a smaller scale - more like Firewheel in Garland, up there in NWA somewhere.

I'm a fan of the Southlake Town Square, that's a nice development. I could see something on a smaller scale - more like Firewheel in Garland, up there in NWA somewhere.

Is Firewheel smaller than Southlake Town Center?

I'd have to check on that. Firewheel is very much a regional mall turned inside out without the muni buildings, etc. found in Southlake. Admittedly I haven't been to Southlake Town Center since it was just completing phase one construction but I pass by Firewheel everytime I go to the gym. Firewheel is much more retail oriented than Southlake Town Center because, well, Garland actually has a downtown.

The Pinnacle Promenade deal in Rogers sounds very similar to Firewheel to me. Firewheel has a Dillards, Circuit City, Cineplex, etc...

I could see a smaller scale town center project on the old Razorback Cinema property on N. College when it comes into play in a few years. I think Fayetteville retail is going to shift back towards the center of town now that its population is getting so that it doesn't need the rest of the region to support major tenants.

The Pinnacle Promenade deal in Rogers sounds very similar to Firewheel to me. Firewheel has a Dillards, Circuit City, Cineplex, etc...

The Promenade to me seems a bit more upscale than Firewheel, since tenants like Jos. A Banks have been anounced, along with Sharper Image and PF Changs soon to come. Both would have a Dillards though.

Is Firewheel smaller than Southlake Town Center?

I'd have to check on that. Firewheel is very much a regional mall turned inside out without the muni buildings, etc. found in Southlake. Admittedly I haven't been to Southlake Town Center since it was just completing phase one construction but I pass by Firewheel everytime I go to the gym. Firewheel is much more retail oriented than Southlake Town Center because, well, Garland actually has a downtown.

I could see a smaller scale town center project on the old Razorback Cinema property on N. College when it comes into play in a few years. I think Fayetteville retail is going to shift back towards the center of town now that its population is getting so that it doesn't need the rest of the region to support major tenants.

Firewheel was an attempt to capitalize on Southlake's success. It is much more mallish, there are no big anchors in Southlake and more offices and 2nd-3rd floor businesses while Dillard's etc make Firewheel more of a fusion with a modern "pull up front" mall and Southlake.

Southlake Town Square is really something to see, I suggest you take a look at some time. They're adding on a bunch of brownstones, a Cheesecake Factory, large Hilton, etc so I'm interested to see how they will work that in with the theme without losing the vibe. I haven't seen the plans for Pinnacle Promenade but I thought it was just going to be another upscale development like Promenade at Chenal, Pleasant Ridge, etc. Is it really going to have that kind of detailed design?

Firewheel was an attempt to capitalize on Southlake's success. It is much more mallish, there are no big anchors in Southlake and more offices and 2nd-3rd floor businesses while Dillard's etc make Firewheel more of a fusion with a modern "pull up front" mall and Southlake.

Southlake Town Square is really something to see, I suggest you take a look at some time. They're adding on a bunch of brownstones, a Cheesecake Factory, large Hilton, etc so I'm interested to see how they will work that in with the theme without losing the vibe. I haven't seen the plans for Pinnacle Promenade but I thought it was just going to be another upscale development like Promenade at Chenal, Pleasant Ridge, etc. Is it really going to have that kind of detailed design?

I was at Southlake Town Square when it first opened to retail tenants. It is quite a development. The city hall building or whatever in the middle really sets it off and makes it into a true gathering place. I looked at that development for a retailer I worked with when I first moved to Dallas in 2001. I saw the renderings for the residential and the expansion of the retail, but I haven't actually been inside the shopping center in probably three years.

Firewheel is just a mall chopped up and turned inside out. Its pedestrian friendly, but it doesn't make you think for a second that you are anywhere but a mall.

Legacy Town Center in Plano, right across the street from my office building, is sort of at the other end of the town center spectrum, with most of the development being residential up to four and five stories, with retail and restaurant filling only the bottom floors and office buildings around the periphery, less family oriented and more like a Plano wish on having an "Uptown" like environment.

No matter how you look at it, the Pleasant Ridge Town Center is a "town center' in name only.

I was at Southlake Town Square when it first opened to retail tenants. It is quite a development. The city hall building or whatever in the middle really sets it off and makes it into a true gathering place. I looked at that development for a retailer I worked with when I first moved to Dallas in 2001. I saw the renderings for the residential and the expansion of the retail, but I haven't actually been inside the shopping center in probably three years.

Firewheel is just a mall chopped up and turned inside out. Its pedestrian friendly, but it doesn't make you think for a second that you are anywhere but a mall.

Legacy Town Center in Plano, right across the street from my office building, is sort of at the other end of the town center spectrum, with most of the development being residential up to four and five stories, with retail and restaurant filling only the bottom floors and office buildings around the periphery, less family oriented and more like a Plano wish on having an "Uptown" like environment.

No matter how you look at it, the Pleasant Ridge Town Center is a "town center' in name only.

You're right, Firewheel is just an outdoor mall with a nice facade. I heard nice things about Parker Square in Flower Mound but haven't been up there.

Southlake Town Square essentially became a downtown for a city that already lacked one. The municipal building is a convincing replica of a county courthouse in the center of the square. They even have homecoming parades on Main St there, fireworks on the 4th, etc. It was on the cover of the Urban Land Institute's annual publication on mixed use development.

Garland already had a downtown, though, and it left it kind of ghetto. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Springdale would be a nice place for that kind of development as there's not much of a downtown there but I don't think the money's there for that type of development. Bentonville doesn't need a downtown, it just needs to spend more on the fine one it already has.

You're right, Firewheel is just an outdoor mall with a nice facade. I heard nice things about Parker Square in Flower Mound but haven't been up there.

Southlake Town Square essentially became a downtown for a city that already lacked one. The municipal building is a convincing replica of a county courthouse in the center of the square. They even have homecoming parades on Main St there, fireworks on the 4th, etc. It was on the cover of the Urban Land Institute's annual publication on mixed use development.

Garland already had a downtown, though, and it left it kind of ghetto. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Springdale would be a nice place for that kind of development as there's not much of a downtown there but I don't think the money's there for that type of development. Bentonville doesn't need a downtown, it just needs to spend more on the fine one it already has.

Springdale would in fact benefit most from a similar type of development.

It would require city assistance in putting together a sizeable parcel connected to Emma Street to turn it into a development worthy of some moderate to large scale redevelopment in central Springdale.

It will never happen.

Springdale city hall is notorious for horrible planning and spot zoning. There is no way they would ever be that visionary.

Instead, I see the splitting up of the school district into two high schools expediting the split of Springdale into good and bad areas. Upscale development will likely continue on the far western fringes of town while the central and eastern areas continue in decline.

Springdale city hall is notorious for horrible planning and spot zoning. There is no way they would ever be that visionary.

Instead, I see the splitting up of the school district into two high schools expediting the split of Springdale into good and bad areas. Upscale development will likely continue on the far western fringes of town while the central and eastern areas continue in decline.

I agree. Another HS split will further segregate the city and destroy the community identity there. I'm leery of Rogers splitting, that the same thing could happen.

This is certainly what happened to Ft Smith when Southside opened.

Archived