Pleasant Ridge Town Center

mcheiss

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it....still haven't been there.

I haven't been either.

There is an article in todays Democrat-Gazette talking about the change from Parisians to Belk. The Belk at Pleasant Ridge is the only "premiere" level store in the state. The premiere level is the next to highest with flagship being the highest. According to the article there are only four flagship Belk in the chain. The Hot Springs and Rogers stores are considered "moderate", the level below premiere, with the others consider Belk, their lowest end.

The article said that Lou has been pleasantly suprised at the Belk. I guess time will tell if shoppers will be impressed.

I haven't been either.

There is an article in todays Democrat-Gazette talking about the change from Parisians to Belk. The Belk at Pleasant Ridge is the only "premiere" level store in the state. The premiere level is the next to highest with flagship being the highest. According to the article there are only four flagship Belk in the chain. The Hot Springs and Rogers stores are considered "moderate", the level below premiere, with the others consider Belk, their lowest end.

The article said that Lou has been pleasantly suprised at the Belk. I guess time will tell if shoppers will be impressed.

I read the article. What a strange business plan....the same name store that somehow gets "internally" designated as low, moderate, premiere and flagship? How is anyone to know? I cannot see how this is a viable marketing approach....I see Belk in a strip center in Hot Springs, and an impression is immediately set in my mind.

I read the article. What a strange business plan....the same name store that somehow gets "internally" designated as low, moderate, premiere and flagship? How is anyone to know? I cannot see how this is a viable marketing approach....I see Belk in a strip center in Hot Springs, and an impression is immediately set in my mind.

I agree, it's very strange.

I really thought Belk's would be better off keeping the Parisian name and applying it to the premiere and flagship stores. That would be much better branding.

What most people do not know is that Belk has always done business this way. And it works for them. They have premium stores in premium markets, moderate in others and even flagship stores in some markets that will bear it, like Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Birmingham.

They are the largest privately owned department store chain in the world.

What might seem unorthodox to some is actually going to be the wave of the future. That type of strategy allows you to bring your brand to multiple markets.

Can't beat that.

What most people do not know is that Belk has always done business this way. And it works for them. They have premium stores in premium markets, moderate in others and even flagship stores in some markets that will bear it, like Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Birmingham.

They are the largest privately owned department store chain in the world.

What might seem unorthodox to some is actually going to be the wave of the future. That type of strategy allows you to bring your brand to multiple markets.

Can't beat that.

that's interesting...

Before it becomes the wave of the future, does the strategy have to work first? They've been in business for well over one hundred years. They are in 16 out of 50 states.

that's interesting...

Before it becomes the wave of the future, does the strategy have to work first? They've been in business for well over one hundred years. They are in 16 out of 50 states.

I agree, it hasn't had time to work, we'll have to see how things pan out over 5-10 years. The real reason Belk's has so many different tiers of stores is that it purchases 3rd-rate department store chains as well as more upscale ones. I've seen other chains do this as well (note Dunlap's owned MM Cohn's, etc) and had the strategy fail. We'll just have to see how this works.

The advertising for Parisian was first class as was the merchandise. I've seen the expected fall in merchandise quality but the advertising is awful, appropriate for a store with a location in Stuttgart. I can't see how even a "Premier" Belk's will compete with Dillard's in this market.

• 3 weeks later...

It was the Stuttgart location which you mention that proved to be my first Belk experience. Still have a great Tommy Hilfiger shirt from the store, too. Belk is a surprising, but nice (though not upscale) inclusion in that community.

The ads in the D-G for the converted Parisian, indeed, are underwhelming -- especially the ones which ran for the grand re-opening. Those in particular didn't make a very compelling case that this newly-christened Belk would be comparable to Parisian's standard. The impression it left with me was that of a product for a smaller market.

• 3 months later...

We ate at Bonefish last night, and I asked about what was going in the open space in the front of the development. He told me there were plans for a hotel. I really hope that is not the case. I was hoping for another restaurant or two. I remember when Pleasant Ridge was first discussed there were plans for a Flemings Steakhouse. Whatever happened to this? I would love to see two more nice restaurants go in there. Other than Bonefish and Fresh Market there is nothing at this center that appeals to me.

P.S. The waiter did say that Bonefish was planning on adding outdoor seating similar to Crew when the weather improves. He also said there was a possibility that they could add space upstairs. They are currently looking into that option. Bonefish is packed with a long wait everytime we eat there, so they could definately use the space.

Have you tried Imagine?

I had the same thought... I like Bonefish a lot because it is one of the few places in our landlocked state that I will eat seafood. I prefer Imagine over Bonefish because, in addition to their great food, the philosophy behind their cuisine is worthy of supporting. For those that don't know, Imagine uses as much locally grown vegetables and meats as possible. My last meal there was a trout dish (Arkansas raised) and spinach (Arkansas grown) that made an outstanding dining experience. Honestly, I was not aware that spinach was much of a crop in our state. Apparently, there is quite a bit of it around the Ft. Smith / Ozarks area.

Also, the owners are Katrina victims that have made LR their home.

Have you tried Imagine?

We've been there once and thought it was OK. The atmosphere was nothing special and the food was just ok. There was nothing unique about it and the decor seemed very plain to me. We went shortly after it opened and maybe it has improved since. I am willing to give it another shot.

We've been there once and thought it was OK. The atmosphere was nothing special and the food was just ok. There was nothing unique about it and the decor seemed very plain to me. We went shortly after it opened and maybe it has improved since. I am willing to give it another shot.

I thought Imagine was solid but not spectacular.

You want spectacular, go to Ferneau. If it were in Dallas or Chicago that would still be a successful restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Ark Times reporting that Imagine is closing. I wonder what will replace it???

That is quite a big loss as it was a good restaurant and unique for this area. He should have located in Hillcrest or the Heights instead, as most people in WLR prefer chain establishments. There is always a huge wait at Bonefish.

Ark Times reporting that Imagine is closing. I wonder what will replace it???

Isn't this the restaurant that was opened by a Katrina couple that used locally grown produce?

It is a shame that LR couldn't support it. I only ate there one time, but I only eat out a couple of nights per month.

Isn't this the restaurant that was opened by a Katrina couple that used locally grown produce?

It is a shame that LR couldn't support it. I only ate there one time, but I only eat out a couple of nights per month.

It truly is a shame. I don't think its so much that LR couldn't support it as it was a bad location for the type of restaurant it was. I am almost certain it would have done well on Kavanaugh or in the River Market area. Hopefully Schickel can recruit a decent chain to take that spot.

It truly is a shame. I don't think its so much that LR couldn't support it as it was a bad location for the type of restaurant it was. I am almost certain it would have done well on Kavanaugh or in the River Market area. Hopefully Schickel can recruit a decent chain to take that spot.

I agree. Actually downtown would've been perfect. You have a lot of options for fine dining in Hillcrest and fewer in the River Market. Remember, Vermillion didn't go over in Chenal and it was a good restaurant as well.

I agree. Actually downtown would've been perfect. You have a lot of options for fine dining in Hillcrest and fewer in the River Market. Remember, Vermillion didn't go over in Chenal and it was a good restaurant as well.

Speaking of Vermillion, is it doing well downtown?

I wish Imagine would give it a go downtown before giving up completely. I don't think Wrought Iron Grill and Pub will stay long with all the negative reviews its getting.

Speaking of Vermillion, is it doing well downtown?

I wish Imagine would give it a go downtown before giving up completely. I don't think Wrought Iron Grill and Pub will stay long with all the negative reviews its getting.

Vermillion is doing very well.

Wrought Iron has a terrific location but it sounds like they had no idea how to run a restaurant and pub. This is probably before your time but there was a similar situation where Sticky Fingerz now sits. Some people with little knowledge of the restaurant business opened up an incredibly generic restaurant called Six Bridges Bar and Grill and it flopped pretty dramatically as well. We all know now the location was outstanding, the problem was the product.

The Hop has been jam packed so far. Gusano's is doing very well and Iriana's has carried its business over to the new location. The restaurant options are diversifying downtown, but it would be very nice to add more top notch restaurants. I've heard mixed reviews on Velo Rouge.

Wrought Iron has a terrific location but it sounds like they had no idea how to run a restaurant and pub. This is probably before your time but there was a similar situation where Sticky Fingerz now sits. Some people with little knowledge of the restaurant business opened up an incredibly generic restaurant called Six Bridges Bar and Grill and it flopped pretty dramatically as well. We all know now the location was outstanding, the problem was the product.

The Hop has been jam packed so far. Gusano's is doing very well and Iriana's has carried its business over to the new location. The restaurant options are diversifying downtown, but it would be very nice to add more top notch restaurants. I've heard mixed reviews on Velo Rouge.

I haven't tried Velo Rouge although it appears to be crowded every time I drive by. Is it not doing well? I originally heard that the owner of Velo Rouge was supposed to open an upscale French restaurant behind it. Is this still planned?

As for Wrought Iron, the sooner it flops the better. Maybe something decent and unique can go in that location.

Speaking of Velo Rouge, I never heard what happened to Nu. Why did it go under? I only went there once but it was for my wedding. We had a post-reception reception in the Blue room. I thought it was a cool place.

Also, I was walking thru the RM yesterday at lunch but never saw Wrought Iron. Where is it down there?

Speaking of Velo Rouge, I never heard what happened to Nu. Why did it go under? I only went there once but it was for my wedding. We had a post-reception reception in the Blue room. I thought it was a cool place.

Also, I was walking thru the RM yesterday at lunch but never saw Wrought Iron. Where is it down there?

My wife and I had dinner at Velo Rouge last week and were impressed. The room itself, the staff and most important the food, was all first rate.

Another River Market restaurant has altered its name. Vermillion appears to be dropping the "Water Grill" and billing itself as Mike Selig's Vermillion.

Archived