Belharbour Station at SoNo

vdogg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going home permanetly?

:cry: Not permanently. I got a job in Budapest for a while which starts in December. It is a project on the Danube River on the Pest side and it will be similar to Belharbour only there will be no parking decks and the residential buildings will have open courtyards in the middle of them. Budapest is cleaning up its industrial sites also.

:cry: Not permanently. I got a job in Budapest for a while which starts in December. It is a project on the Danube River on the Pest side and it will be similar to Belharbour only there will be no parking decks and the residential buildings will have open courtyards in the middle of them. Budapest is cleaning up its industrial sites also.

Are you coming back here? With your European influence you could do alot for this area in urban planning and development! Good luck on your venture over there and be safe. :thumbsup:

Are you coming back here? With your European influence you could do alot for this area in urban planning and development! Good luck on your venture over there and be safe. :thumbsup:

Belharbour is working on how to get me back. I hope they get the Allied site in Portsmouth... That site isn't as contaminated as the Wilson site surprisingly but neither have serious problems. Americans are too easy to scare where toxic matters are concerned. It is not as difficult to clean up as it might seem. It's no where near like Central Europe which was Russia's nuclear waste dumping ground but we figured out how to clean it. I am surprised that a professional consulting firm would prepare a report saying that the Allied Site in Portsmouth is suited for nothing but Industrial. Europe has been combining residential with industrial for a long time. Most people like to watch industries work especially at night. I love Hampton Rds. It is like a baby about to be born on its river systems. I want to bring back with me a colleague of mine from Germany who worked for the U.N. on the Danube River cleanup which started back in 2000. He is doing a few years work in Hungary. I'm amazed at how fast Hungary is developing... all of Central Europe is developing fast except Serbia, Bosnia, etc. -- too much mafia corruption and Kosovo will be a war zone for a long time even after everyone starts to kiss and make out. The land mines are all over the place with no documentation. Anyway, I hope Hampton Rds. cities can learn to work together on their future plans to develop along the Elizabeth River and James River. It seems to me that some sort of monthly meeting is needed between all the cities here, to discuss plans so that they can work together better.

I very much agree with your statement. The cities do need to work together. I'm sorry to see you go but maybe you'll come back in the future. Thank you for your hard work on the Belharbour project. It really means a lot to everyone who lives in South Norfolk. It's just what we've all been waiting for. Good luck and hope you will be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

:cry: shame on me :cry:

When i first heard about this project i thought it had some potential...but from everything i've heard it's obviously lost any potential.

Other topics, new PilotOnline article at SoNo:

LINKAGE HERE

Eager to transform its waterfront into a local tourist destination, Chesapeake will spend $26 million for public infrastructure improvements on the shores of the Elizabeth River.

The money is part of an agreement to bring a massive waterfront development called Belharbour Station at SoNo to the city. Proponents have talked about making the once-industrial area a hub for local businesses, including plans for a ferry to neighboring shores and an intricate path of trailways.

Yet as city leaders and the project's developer negotiate final details for the agreement, Chesapeake is in an unusual position.

Ordinarily, the city receives millions of dollars for infrastructure for projects of this magnitude. In this case, however, the developer will not contribute any money to offset the public cost of infrastructure..

Wow, developers are paying ZERO for infrastructure? :shok: That'll sit well with the pilotonline bloggers

Wow, developers are paying ZERO for infrastructure? :shok: That'll sit well with the pilotonline bloggers

That's not unusual for projects of this type and scale. The Norfolk Hilton, Town Center, and City Center all provide similar incentives, the reason being that they calculate they'll get far more out of the project than they put in. In the case of TC and CC this has proven true. Also, is this the only reason for your disappointment with the project? I'm curious as to what particularly you've heard that indicate this project has lost all potential.

that was in reference to TownE Center at greenbrier, you moved the post cuz i didnt see the SoNo thread. Apologies

Ahh, I see. My apologies. That's a weird little effect of the system that it combines post if you make them within about 3 minutes of eachother. I never did like that feature. <_<

• 1 month later...

:(Rezoning delayed on Belharbour Station development project

CHESAPEAKE - For every step forward the proposed Belharbour Station at SoNo development takes, it seems to take another one back.

The City Council decided Tuesday to delay taking action on rezoning the land in South Norfolk where Truxton Development wants to build a massive waterfront project on an abandoned industrial site.

Both sides are still negotiating the final details for the agreement.

story

• 1 month later...

it would really be nice to see this turn into a small downtown for Chesapeake and spread over the interstate to the rest of South Norfolk.

I really want to see that area make a grand comeback. Hell as an architecture student, when I am one day practicing, I would love to design something really special for that area.

I am such a hopeful person for this region I guess. I may never move back, but it will always be my home.

• 3 weeks later...

Chesapeake Residents to hear plans to revitalize South Norfolk

Earlier this year, two teams of developers announced plans to revitalize South Norfolk. They envisioned the projects as cornerstones of a new era, creating a grand entrance into Chesapeake with historic streetscapes, local shopping and trails.

Residents will soon learn exactly how close these projects are to construction, or if they're part of what has been perceived as a long line of pipe dreams, when developers from both projects give presentations to the City Council and the planning commission.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived