Growth in Benton/Bryant

5 hours ago, Smith said:

I was randomly out there a couple of weeks ago. There is maybe 1/3 of the first section built. It looked like a ghost town. I don't see this moving forward any time soon if ever.

That's from a respected planning firm (one that first started the "New Urbanist" movement 20 years ago), but alas, that Master Plan is dated from 2007...doesn't look promising.

8 hours ago, Architect said:

That's from a respected planning firm (one that first started the "New Urbanist" movement 20 years ago), but alas, that Master Plan is dated from 2007...doesn't look promising.

I feel like something like this would be successful in this area. I wonder why it didn't work out. 

• 4 months later...

In Bryant, there are plans for an indoor shooting range to be built behind the Wal-Mart. Also, on the planning commission, there is a rendering of this area and it shows multiple new office and medical buildings around a pond with walking trails by Ashley’s Furniture.

Edited by Aleck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An interesting project is going before the Bryant Development Review Committee at this Friday's meeting.  A group headed by the Arkansas Heart Hospital is proposing building a large 4 story hospital and adjacent physicians office building in the vacant area on the north side of I-30 and south of Highway 5 between Springhill Road and Hurricane Creek.

Renderings

Site Plans

Also, 10 Fitness is presenting plans for construction of a new gym facility roughly 1 mile south of their current location (Proposed location is between O'Riley's Auto Parts and First Security Bank on Reynolds Road).

10 Fitness Plans

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A few new things going on in Benton/Bryant areas. A Newks is being built near the Tacos 4 Life off of Alcoa Road.  Burlington is putting a store in the former Best Buy.  10 Fitness is near completion in Bryant, but across the street from it the Hardee’s has closed. Also, there are plans to open a Lost Pizza location on Hwy 5 in Benton, which would be new to Central Arkansas!

On 8/1/2018 at 12:41 PM, Aleck said:

I found out today that the city of bryant has a moratorium on apartments. I just can’t seem to understand why a city that wants growth would do that. Does anyone know why?

Because single family residents will always complain about having apartments.  Doesn't matter if they are luxury apartments or low income housing.  Apartments will always be blamed for everything from crime to traffic problems.  Folks at the city don't like to hear complaints so that's when these types of things start occurring.  Additionally, the City may not have enough utility infrastructure to support large numbers of concentrated residents along some portions of town.  I would say having worked in Bryant and other parts of Saline County that a lot of residents would say "oh send that stuff over to Benton".  

• 5 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, Aleck said:

Panda Express is nearing completion on the access road in front of Kroger. Also, Denny’s is taking the former spot of Ruby Tuesday in Bryant. Hideaway Pizza is building next to the Red Robin in town also.

Ahhhh....Panda Express!  This would be the second in Central Arkansas (the other being in Conway)...though they've been everywhere else in the state, including Hot Springs, for years.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Downtown Benton has seen quite a lot of new restaurants open in the last few years. The owners of Valhalla are planning to open a charcuterie/wine Lounge soon in the building next to Valhalla. Also, Rock n Roll sushi is opening a location in downtown Benton. A chain called “I heart Mac and cheese” is opening near TJ Max, and Crumbl cookie is coming to the strip mall by Slims Chicken. Marcos Pizza and Wing Stop are both opening soon in a strip center on Hwy 5 in Bryant. The widening of Hwy 5 through Bryant needs to finish soon, because traffic has gotten much worse in that area too. 

• Like 1